1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Mission

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 30 Jun 2009.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them.

I try not to make any mistakes. In a previous life I worked in the nuclear power industry where mistakes were generally frowned upon. Patience is a powerful tool in keeping you error-free and age makes that tool even sharper. Helps keep all your fingers attached too.

[​IMG]

The most complex leg veneer piece is for the inside front leg. Here is one of the two cut out and ready to glue into place.

[​IMG]

Top vent veneer work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the spokes permanently by gluing up the four spoke holders. Notice that the two veneer spoke transition pieces are loosely installed.

[​IMG]

Here is one of the holders. It is simply a block of wood with five round slots filed into them at intervals.

[​IMG]

The spokes were all cut and fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the vent to do some bevel work using my Easy Cutter.

[​IMG]

More glue drying.

[​IMG]

24 pieces of basswood and walnut.

[​IMG]

Finally getting some walnut on the face.

[​IMG]

Test fitting some chrome and the top vent.

Thanks for looking!

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

That looks stunning! Great work

3. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

/\ agreed

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Beautiful! :thumb:

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

+1

6. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

This is really something! I just love the spokes and the rad grills to bits!

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks guys!

Small update/important milestone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main body veneer work is done. The six stanchions will be done later. Next up is table top work. Thanks for looking.

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Whether you truely are measuring twice and cutting once .. the world may never know for sure. The combination of wood and metal work is coming together fantastically.

Do you plan to have a window to see the motherboard area? I await more amazement.

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

That is certainly a profession where mistakes are looked down upon ;)

I can imagine that "Wooopps.. Mark? Get your family the **** outta here.. I managed to click that strange red button and then those klaxons started?!"

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It just keeps getting better.:D

-You are the second modder to admit to working in that field... and I grew up downwind of Rocky Flats... Is modding a mutation trait?:hehe:

11. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

/\ i dunno about modding, but you are definitely mutated from something if you look like your avatar. :D

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Some serious money was made working on building these reactors and even MOAR when we had to go inside for insulation maintenance.
    Brownsville NB, Monticello MN, Hanford WA, TMI, Sioux Falls SD, lots of places.

Inside "It takes a lot of attaboys to make up for one 'Oh S h i t'"

Very easy to learn patience and attention to detail in that environment. The cost of doing otherwise is too high.

Hey Cheaps, when the leaves are gone from the trees I can see Rocky Flats from my office/room window. No it doesn't glow in the dark. Well, not any more since the cleanup.

john

13. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Truly stunning work so far!

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. My philosophy is measure once and cut it too long. Then I use files and sandpaper to mill it to the perfect length. If you think about it, the probability of cutting it perfectly is pretty slim regardless of how many times you measure.

Central to my design are the easily replaceable decorative panels. That includes an option for a clear acrylic panel that should simulate a standard "window". I won't do it...but I could.

LOL....it would be more like "Whoops...turned that valve the wrong way and killed a few million people". Good way to ruin a perfect day.

Thanks Cheaps! And by the way..I don't blame you. :D There's a lot of great mods coming out of Russia and the Ukraine these days so you might be on to something.

I never worked with civilian power plants. Cheap U238 fuel that's hard to control never appealed to me. I preferred the U235 stuff and the possibility of being shot at. :D

Thanks! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Tacked down some 60 grit sandpaper to the table top board and drew squiggly tell-tale pencil lines all over both ends of each leg.

[​IMG]

Set the project onto the sandpaper and pulled/pushed it back and forth across the surface. I knew there was contact at all four points before doing this because it didn't rock. :rock: No...not that kind of rock. I wanted to know the quality of the contact patch.

[​IMG]

After a while I analyzed the tell-tale marks to see where I was. All four legs needed some sort of adjustment. Note: This process was applied to both ends of the leg in an attempt to get a perfect contact patch with the floor and table top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I continued to manipulate the leg ends across the sandpaper until all four legs came up clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Result of efforts. The six stanchions were cut short on purpose because they are not load bearing and I wanted to avoid the nightmare of trying to align these as well. Instead, the stanchions will be supporting the soon-to-be-installed upper rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That let me continue to the next process which was to mock up the upper railings. The rails themselves are made of maple instead of basswood. All of this is friction fit (try that "cut once" people) while I cut some glue blocks.

[​IMG]

It's always a good time for a test fit.

[​IMG]

I asked the mother-in-law for some cloth. "Something contrasty" I said. Wow! Well it's better than the sh!t brown board I have been using. :hehe:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: 12 Aug 2009
  15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Fits perfectly, mate, a true work of art.

16. mercerman318

mercerman318 What's a Dremel?

Agree completely with the boy 4rm oz, that is some gorgeous work

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I think you ought to leave the red right there - looks stunning!

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

+1

19. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

this is insane! i love it

20. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks guys! The red option is just for the photos because the brown hardboard is too close a match to the walnut. The wife says the red makes it look Asian. Something a little more subtle is probably the way to go. Brushed stainless steel or some frilly upholstery material. I still might try my first idea - vintage speaker grill cloth. Raw galvanized steel or "tin" as we call it here in the South would be controversial and there's nothing wrong with that. The tin would certainly be period correct. It was considered very high tech stuff during the Mission-style era.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I intend to create at least two very different styles of panel in order to fully illustrate the concept.

I finished up the veneer on the top rails but they are still a friction fit for now. I spent a lot of time pondering how to attach the table top. Lots of options.

[​IMG]

Coming together. Note: This is still raw, unfinished black walnut and it will get much darker once the finish goes on.

Thanks for looking.