1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Daniel’s murderbox – 008 / Final Abridged Version (page 1 loaded w/ images!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by charles_h, 3 Aug 2009.

1. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Looks incredible with the lights and everything at the end, interesting to see the huge amount of work that went into making it.

Hopefully when I do eventually do a proper mod can be inspired by ones like this.

2. charles_h

charles_h I can has RotoZip?

Thanks Guys! :)

I'll really try to get more detailed progress pics in the next worklog. It's always that thing... "ok...how do I do this... let's see... yes, here we go... that's it! Oh damn, where's that camera..."

It just takes more planning I reckon - or maybe build some kind of mechanical third arm that can take pics while I work... or something like what Tony Stark had in Ironman!

Cheers Mate - that's exactly what we did!

We laid out the plexi in large pieces, glued them together and then applied pressure while they set. Then the piece was run through a table saw, cutting it down to size and then a fancy planer. Finally the edges were finished. We tried everything - it just wasn't happening... at least not to perfection. As I said, what really drove us loopy was that we produced a perfect prototype piece. Perhaps the Plexi Gods were simply not smiling on us... Anyway, there's always next time. :)

M7ck likes this.
  3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

This is the most beautiful mod I have seen in a long time. I'm just amazed how well it's turned out. Very good work!

4. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

The Photographic work was as awesome as the build itself.
    Smoother than Bryan Ferry in a bathful of Double cream wearing a Pvc suit.
    Epic.
    Think i will read it all again.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

yes this is a great built and ya it did give me some ideas and things to try out, simply awesome.

6. youeffsee

youeffsee What's a Dremel?

Wow, Im speechless. :jawdrop:

So clean. :thumb:

7. Buddharoxor

Buddharoxor Fubar'd at birth

Could you resolder the ATX connector to the back of the motherboard, mirroring the wire rows so they'd still be proper?

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yes, SNiipedogg did it before I believe.

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

As did Langer in Prometheus Cu. Snipe only did the 8pin connector though.

10. charles_h

Thanks Guys. :)

Yes, of course you could. :)

Not really my thing though – I just don’t see the value in terms of aesthetic gain; but that’s just my opinion!

IMHO, the sleeved wires, when properly planned and executed, can complement the overall composition by helping to lead the eye within the machine – similar to how I like to utilize the hoses. Of course, everyone has their own taste and this is entirely subjective. I just personally like the look of nicely sleeved wires composed in an interesting array. I like the effect that lighting has on the texture of the weave and the contrast it creates.

There’ll likely come a day when computers are completely modular and the components simply snap together – this is the day I’ll probably move on and do something else. Its how we chose to design and “compose” our machines that I think makes building computers so enjoyable. I also think we’re just at the very beginning of this new age of PCs – the era where creativity rules. :dremel:

11. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

WOWZAS! Talk about inspiration. You opened up a whole new world of modding to me haha.

12. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

I. Am. Speechless! You just filled my entire sketchbook with ideas!
    Can I just ask one question? How did you control the displays? After seeing this build I want to do something similar to how you positioned the displays, but there I ran into some problems about how to control two or more individual displays via USB. I hope it isn't to rude to ask about that...
    Anyways great work and it is a great inspiration for newcomers like me!

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Sounds odd but you need to de-gas your glue in a vacuum chamber, tiny bubbles are trapped in the glue, and will be trapped between the plexi.

Same problem i get with silicone mouldings. Trapped gases can really ruin your day!

My profession, Product Designer, and prototyper.

14. charles_h

Cheers UltraModder!

Cheers razerz!

The displays are run through the hub and then to a USB header on the motherboard. If I'm not mistaken, you can chain something like 127 devices off one bus - thanks to the tiered star topology of USB.

That makes sense... we were merely using weights to apply pressure and likely not enough. As stated, the perfect prototype piece produced (say that 10 times fast) using the same method was what kept us on that path... Sounds like a vacuum chamber is definitely the way to go - cheers!

Product Designer and Prototyper you say... I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions in the future. As much as I love brute-forcing my way to results, its always nice to get expert opinions now and then. :)

15. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the answer :) Which immediately leads to another one (or maybe a rewording of my previous question. Me and English don't mix very well...): What software did you use to control the displays? If it is any help I am using an generic HD44780 display soldered to a USB interface board I got from eBay.
    (I hope I don't hijack the thread or rip off your ideas)

16. charles_h

ahh... it appears I've misinterpreted your original question - I'll attempt to answer it now.

For this machine, Daniel plans to write his own software to control the units... he's crazy smart like that.

In other cases where I use Matrix Orbital displays, I use LCDC Written by Matthew Augier to control the units.

Matthew's little program, combined with some plugins found on his website's forum, provide some nice features to the displays. That's the extent of my knowledge in this area I'm afraid; I hope this information is some use to you. :)

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dude i would be honored to be envolved with murderboxes!!

18. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

its mods like this that make me want to hang up my Dremel and go ok just face it I'll never be as good as murder mods LOL

but i will keep on trying !! lol

19. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much for your help :) I am going to have a look at that program, and if that fails I will just have to rethink my build and/or try to find some other software.
    Thanks again :)

20. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Charles - congrats on another amazing build. This is probably the most well executed build that I have ever seen!

I have one question. It appears that you used heatshrink to sleeve the SATA power wires that are between the two connectors. How did you get it on them?