1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Haze developer blames PS3 architecture

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

lol thats brilliant, blaming the Sony because they made a rubbish game. :)

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Why, when we have games like Uncharted and Killzone 2 to developers insist on blaming the PS3's architecture everytime their game turns out to be crap?! Listen, your game is crap regardless of what platform it is on. Haze is a perfect example of this, the entire game is just a mindless shooter with virtually nothing to make it a worthwhile purchase.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's occasions like this when the phrase "a poor workman blames his tools" springs to mind...

The PS3 might not be the easiest thing to code for, but rather than complaining and coming across as whining... keep your head down, eyes forward and prove that the next time it'll be done right.

5. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

While I'm sure that the game was fundamentally flawed to be universally panned by reviews - he does have a point.

If I gave you 1 year to write a good novel, that's probably more than sufficient time. Now, as an English-only speaker & writer, what if I say 'oh yeah, the novel has to be written in Mandarin. You still only have 1 year.'?

A project has deadlines like any other, if it takes longer due to a problem, then that removes time from the project itself.

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Ha, they failed to optimise crisis on the pc, now they blame the ps3 for being unable to get haze optimsed... I think they should spend less time jumping on the 'let's slate/blame the ps3' bandwagon and hire some new developers!

7. papalarge123

papalarge123 Papalarge

i like the fact they say that they had to spend alot of the time coding for the PS3 to make it run properly, not leaving much time to get the game right,

well i say i dont care personally about deadlines, i want a game that is fundementally perfect when hitting the shelves, i dont care if it takes an extra year to produce.

has it realy come to the point in the gaming industry, that we may have to start petitioning or boycotting companies that produce the games, to get them top produce a game correctly, and not just think about there wallets and bank accounts.

its a sad day for most gamers.

8. kmv_007

kmv_007 What's a Dremel?

That is bull.

It's one thing if Haze was a multiplatform game and the PS3 version is crap or delayed (Orange Box) due to "difficulty coding for PS3", but Haze was a PS3 EXCLUSIVE. Their job was to make it work on that one platform. As xaser04 pointed out, plenty of other PS3 exclusives look and play great, so it obviously can be done.

If they had that much trouble with the hardware, why didn't Sony help them out?

9. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

"They" were different developers at the time. Crytek failed to optimise the Crysis engine at all but that wasn't exactly their major concern. Free Radical made a shitty game. I can understand their reasoning, but they should have delayed the launch to compensate for the extra time spent on getting it working rather than shoving it out the door the minute it was playable. This is often a problem, devs are told to keep unrealistic deadlines and the game suffers as a result.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its not the PS3s fault the core game design, level design and story was shite, I'm sure the people working on those were really held back by programming the PS3....yeah right, way to jump on that bandwagon. :lol:

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

The Orange Box was crap on the PS3 because Valve didn't make it. Valve made the Pc and 360 version. Then EA ported it over tot the PS3, that's also why the PS3 doesn't get new content.

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I think we should all be thanking Sony. They're outing all of the bad programmers in the industry for us!

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Keep dreaming mate. It's been this way for a few years now, developers have gotten into the mindset of "Oh, I can just patch this sh*t after we release, I want my money. Now."

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Thank the internet and internet enabled consoles for that. :( Time was when console games couldn't be patched... if they shipping with a game breaking bug (I'm thinking of Tony Hawks' Underground 2's habit of corrupting saves randomly during saving...) then you were stuck with it forever and ever. It gets totally ridiculous when you have games ship in such a state that they need a patch before you can even install them, though... which has happened several times recently, IIRC.

In general, though, this 'we can patch it later' attitude has resulted in release standards slipping a lot. It seems that the first thing to get cut in the attempt to save money is QA testing. ;)

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The problems with HAZE were nothing to do with the difficulty in programming (regardless of what the 'developers' will have us believe). The game was just crap, it would have been crap had they had no issues developing for the PS3, the game itself is the problem, not the platform.

I have no issues with developers taking extra time to get things right with the PS3, the problem I have is when they blame the PS3 for their games failure regardless of any other factors, it does them no favours.

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I stand corrected. I still feel however that they have sat back and watched several high profile dev studios like id coming out and talking about some problems they've encountered with the ps3 and have decided to jump on the same bandwagon rather than just admit their game/deadlines/devs were just crap.

At least over studios had the excuse that they had to support multiple platforms and port code. There is no valid excuse for screwing up an exclusive other than a combination of unrealisric deadlines and not enough resource- both quality and quantity. Kepping to deadlines is pretty imperative in business to avoid overruns and losses, but they must be realistic and the cost benefit of extending the deadline in this instance should have made it worthwhile.

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I think some of you guys are jumping the gun. Yes I do believe we're passed the point of blaming the architecture now on PS3 development, but unlike alot of other developers they aren't tossing in the towel and they still look forward to future development on the PS3. It's a far cry from Ubisoft writing it off as too hard and only developing Splinter Cell on the 360. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Shame on them for a crappy game no matter how difficult the PS3 was to develope for, but kudos for not giving up on the system entirely.

18. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

where is TS 4???????

19. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Are u serious? Crysis was a game so far ahead of its time, how old is it now? Still the best looking game around, failed to optimize it? it is amazingly optimized, pehaps the best optimized game ever considering how far back it scaled, and how far ahead it was/is of everything else.

20. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

You do care about cost don't you? you know an extra year is an extra year of investment right?

Tags: Add Tags