1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Feeding Frenzy: November-11-2009 video card fan installed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Top Nurse, 23 Sep 2005.

1. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Ahh that is a different deal. You should never bolt two dissimilar metals like aluminum and copper together as there is no way to shield the ion exchange.

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Kind of off topic but belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yeh the alu was painted with a coating, didn't help though.

4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Thank You! Feel like 40, look like sixty, so I must be 56. :jawdrop: Gotta figure a way to live another 50 years in good health. :worried:

5. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

The only coating that might have helped woud be hard anodisng and then not bolted together,

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You got the other silver XT DI2?

I got one, I wondered who else was that nuts...

7. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

No I have an original silver XT. IIRC it was about $225.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I paid a bit more, probably for the extra complexity.

Worth it, though. And your project looks awesome.

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I got it several years ago. I talked Wes at Sharka into stocking AC and gave him a thousand dollar pre-paid order to get things rolling. So I got the good gal discount on that one order.

How long did you have to wait to get yours?

Thanks for the nice nice. :D

Got notification that my radiator will be here Friday afternoon so it looks like I will be cutting and drilling on the case this weekend. :dremel:

10. The boy 4rm oz

Can't wait for the pics mate.

11. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I got to put Photoshop on my laptop as my main computer is getting some nice additions right now. I put the fan shroud on, the Silver XT is now on the MB, and I installed a TwinPlex XT on the video card. When some parts show up Thursday and Friday I can get busy installing the radiator and fans. Still snapping lots of pics and I will try and get them up in the next few days.

Also figured out how to turn the ROG lit logo upside down so it is right side up on this case. The GPU (4870) gets a 360 radiator and the CPU gets it's own 120 size cooling circuit as well.

12. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Got PS up on the laptop. I sure miss my regular size keyboard. :(

This pic shows my MB after I removed the heat pipe/heatsink so that I could measure the exact holes center to center. You need exact measurements to order the right water blocks as Germany is a long way off.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up pic of the south bridge. For those who are into water cooling the hole center to center distance is 53 mm.

[​IMG]

Here's the close up of the north bridge and it measures out center to center at 61 mm.

[​IMG]

And last of all here is the power mosfets and it measures out at 118 mm center to center.

[​IMG]

So now that is done it's time to center punch the mother board holding plate. For those who don't know what that red tool is, it is a spring powered center hole punch. It essentially gives you an easy mark to drill with. You push down and when you reach a certain level (adjustable) of pressure the tip pushes down very fast and leaves a center punch on the aluminum below the mother board. This isn't for the faint of heart as the mother board can sometimes get jarred around a bit.

[​IMG]

Here is my Aquacomputer silver XT being trial fitted on top my AMD 720 BE processor.

[​IMG]

This a Koolance fan shroud with the plastic sides removed. It is centered to the sides of the case within .001 of an inch. Having a dial caliper is really handy for the hard core modder. With a center line adapter it was a piece of cake to measure the holes in the previous pics.

[​IMG]

Here is the shroud removed after I traced the metal to be cut out and drilled the mounting holes.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I am expecting a shipment of fan gaskets from Quiet PC and some grills from Petra's. Next update will have the radiator/fan assembly done along with the fan wiring going up to the Aquaero.

13. The boy 4rm oz

Those Koolance fan shrouds really are pretty nifty things. Love the Aquacomputer block, they make some really excellent things.

14. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Well the fan shroud has its ups and downs as will be explained more in the next update. :eyebrow:

I really went back and forth on whether to use the shroud or an Aquacomputer grill. The reason I choose the Koolance shroud will become more apparent down the line. :dremel:

15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Forgot the pics of the Asus 4870 DK 1 Gb. You can see here a Aquacomputer TwinPlex XT. I choose this because it a very low profile water block. Course it also looks nice too. :D

[​IMG]

Here is the side view.

[​IMG]

16. The boy 4rm oz

Damn that block is really low-profile, makes my Swiftech MCW-60 look like a brick HAHAHA.

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Been considering adding some ram sinks to the video card. Got some Swiftech BGA units, but am considering sending them out to be nickel plated. Alternatively I may leave them off altogether as anyway you look at it they are pure bling. :lol:

Anyone know someone who sells ram sinks already nickel plated?

Yeah but your block includes the fittings on the side, correct?

18. Tankdeckel

Tankdeckel What's a Dremel?

Fully plated? i only know MIPS RAM Freezer 3. faceplate is nickel plated on cooper base

mips ram freezer

or some of aqua computer. ac ramplex

which comes close to what you're looking for?

19. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Actually I was looking for just some air heatsinks that are nickel plated for my video card. However, thanks so much for the Aquatuning link as I also saw that they had for sale the big blocks that cover the mosfets, NB, and SB. Emailed EK and Aquatuning to see when I can get one with a clear top, but the black one would be okay though the 100 Euro price might make me wait a while. :jawdrop:

20. The boy 4rm oz

Yeah my MCW-60 has side mounted fittings, I guess that's why mine is a bit thicker lol. If you are getting Swiftech RAM sinks, get new thermal pad, the stock ones are useless, they just don't stick, fall off instantly. I replaced mine with Sekisui #5760 Thermal Tape, now that is great stuff.