1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve still hates the PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

think a link is missing from first paragraph

"[erul=http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/06/10/why-valve-don-t-make-ps3-games/1]a waste of everybody's time[/eurl]. "

should it not be eurl at the start like the end or something? (limited coding knowledge)

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

^^ what he said

+ Gabe is right... shouldn't Fony just donate their remaining stocks of PS3's for folding? seems there is nothing good going for them anymore.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Some people really are just miserable *******s aren't they? If you don't want to code for it, don't just throw your toys out of the pram.

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

GOOD! Get rid of the xbox devs and let's keep things on the PC where they belong!

Yours in PC Gaming Elitist Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

there has to be something in all of this, the amount of devs saying the same thing. i have to say im almost inclined to agree with him despite being a PS3 owner. Maybe sony should take the vista/W7 view on this and start over.

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

why??? with the dev kit, they only need to write the code once and can compile two versions.... so it would be silly not to produce a 360 as well

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

not really, its a small amount of devs making a big amount of noise, typically for their own sordid reasons/excuses, plenty of others just turn out quality stuff on PS3 silently no doubt laughing at the **** ones who can't cope without wads of MS cash.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thank you, fixed.

10. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

no doubt laughing at the **** ones who can't cope without wads of MS cash.[/QUOTE]

As opposed to wads of Sony cash? And where the hell is GT5? Maybe they will release a second demo version and molest our wallets!

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Message to Gabe - Quit moaning about a platform you don't like (we get it already!) and sodding finish HL2:EP3....

Does this guy have nothing better to do than moan about a platform they havn't even released a game for?!

Its obvious from the number of quality games on the PS3, not to mention the copious amounts of crossplatform games that for all intense and purposes appear identical on both 'next gen' consoles, that, despite what certain developers would have us believe the PS3 is more than a match for the 360 in overall ability (small differences aside) and ,based on sales figures has a large enough market to make it a worthwhile platform.

12. [PUNK] crompers

well if they dont release some killer apps soon mine is definately going on Ebay. i only ever play SF4 on it anymore, oh and the odd bit of burnout paradise (both of which i could have on PC)

13. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

what about little big planet? Killzone 2? metal gear solid 4? uncharted? warhawk? heavenly sword? infamous? resistance? resistance 2? ratchet and clank : TOD?

there are loads of good exclusive games out there, its just that a lot of people like to brush over them :/ and don't forget there is still GOW3 and uncharted 2 and heavy rain to come :D

i think gabe is being a dick tbh, yeah he is a great developer but this is just abuse of his influence :/

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Arguably, that's the problem. As it's easy to dev for both, developers often do, and as the 360 version always sells more, they thus design the game for the console, not the PC.

If they could only design for the PC, we'd have better games!

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Its a blu-ray player with a rushed console engine added to it. But thats my personal opinion...

16. impar

impar Minimodder

17. [PUNK] crompers

LBP kept me interested for about 5 hours

Killzone 2, played it for about a day, nothing that i haven't seen on the PC (grey, grey, grey oooohhh brown!) and i can play FPS with a mouse and keyboard on pc, which is actually an enjoyable experience as opposed to fighting with a pad for hours.

MGS4: fair enough great title

uncharted: really enjoyed it. 2 does look good to be fair.

heavenly sword: bleurgh, predictable and staid.

infamous not as good as prototype, which i can play on pc cheaper with better graphics

resistance 1+2: see Killzone 2

R&C: not my cup of tea

TOD:?

the machine just hasnt convinced me. once i've finished valkyria chronicles and white knight chronicles (which you failed to mention) i'll probably get rid

18. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Except we don't know if they have problems. They've never really tried to begin with! Valve is a talented studio, yet they are a huge contradiction. So many small studios are able to churn out games on the PS3, yet the mighty Valve, one of the leading PC developers, can't be bothered to wrap their minds around the PS3's architecture? So what happens if DirectX undergoes a radical change (not saying it ever will) Does Valve close up shop and send all the staff home? You know, "It's hard" is really getting old when other developers have no problems at all programming for the console.

19. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

TOD is the subtitle for R&C. ;)

Valkyria Chronicles is very good, I like that a lot. White Knight Chronicles looks pretty sweet.

But the game that makes the PS3 for me... and means that in no way, shape or form I'd ever consider getting rid of it is Disgaea 3. SRPG goodness.

I quite like Lair - it wasn't an amazing game, but it's a lot better than some of the crap that comes out on every platform.

I suppose it depends on whether you discount multiplatform games as a reason for owning a PS3. If you don't have a 360, want some of the multiplatform games, want some of the PS3 exclusives and want a Blu-ray player... the PS3 is a good idea. If, on the other hand, you want Gears of War... it's not such a good idea. :)

That being said... I really don't care what Gabe Newell says about the PS3. As the article states, it's well known he can't stand it and wouldn't have a good word to say about it no matter what. So I don't really understand why 'Valve still hates the PS3' is news, to be honest. It's not news - it's a repeat of olds. Lombardi says one thing... Newell says another... who do you believe? Or do you believe both?

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  20. [PUNK] crompers

ah Disgaea 3, havent tried that one yet, must get hold of a copy. although i suspect that title could just as easily have been released on PS2?

re: multi-platform - i played GTAIV through on the PS3, enjoyed it immensely but to me the graphics were jaggy and the draw distance was crap. then i saw my mate playing it on PC and i was kicking myself, beautiful game on the right system.

So now i buy any single player games on PC to save disappointment on the graphics front (regardless of whether i would consider them a "console title") , and play them with a 360 pad!

Tags: Add Tags