1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve still hates the PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Aug 2009.

1. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i don't think he's moaning, he was asked if he would develop for the ps3 coz news spread that they hired some ps3 devs

so he just gave a simple 'no" lolz, that aint moaning, the moaning part was related to the previous article he said i think

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It probably could have been, yes. The sprites are higher res (apparently even more so if you get your hands on lots of the DLC... I've not done so yet as I can't be bothered...) than in Disgaea 1 or 2, but not by a lot. To be honest, given that they fitten Disgaea 1 on a CD in Europe with a single audio track, Disgaea 2 on a DVD with dual audio tracks... Disgaea 3 would have probably worked on the PS2. There are occasions, though, when I look at something and think, "I'd never have seen that on an SD output..." I think the audio quality is higher, too.

It's a must have for any PS3 gamer with a little patience - the storyline itself can be completed fairly quickly... but doing all the extra stuff takes a bloody long time. :)

Yes, I was of a similar opinion with GTA4 myself, as it happens. :) Saw it on the PS3 and 360, thought they were more or less the same. I bought it on the PS3. Saw it later on the PC... and was very tempted. I managed to avoid it, however, as the prerequisite of activation (although not as badly implemented as many), Games for Windows Live (which I've not had a good experience of, although I'll admit that others might have had a better time of it...) and Rockstar Social Club (something which I view as utterly unnecessary) made me very leery of the PC release.

That any my experience of the PS3 version left me wanting to play Vice City again. ;)

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Um yes I know, hence my post.

I could have worded it a bit better but I was basically talking about Gabe's rambling about the PS3 in general (which is alluded to in this article (the additional links).

Quite frankly I don't really care if he doesn't like the PS3, valve don't develope anything for it so him ramblings are a moot point.

I just wish they could focus on what they do best, pc games.... (HL2:EP3 FFS!)

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

but you couldn't because we dont have PS2 compatibility! this is another thing that annoys me, i'd love to play God of War 1+2 prior to the release of 3 but no chance.

anyways i'll just say that aside from off the wall japanese releases and the odd title that i probably could have got on PC anyway, i haven't exactly been bowled over. a machine that is supposed to be this powerful should be doing more (at least than the 360) imo

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Might be a chance its rumored to be coming in a new firmware release for all PS3s.

I wanted to do the same as you prior to GoW3 and fortunately have a UK launch PS3 so have done :) , God of war looks surprisingly good when played back on a big HDTV via PS3, the upscaler/ps2 smoother does a cracking job, I thought it was going to look crap but it doesn't at all.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

we've been waiting for that update for how long? i have serious doubts as to whether it will materialise tbh

7. Paradigm Shifter

Actually, I have got PS2 compatibility. I got one of the last 60GB PS3's with the backwards compatibility in my area. :D According to the shop, anyway - they might well have been feeding me nonsense on that bit of info.

I never really got into God of War. I keep hearing good things about it, so I'm sure I'll try it at some point... ;)

Oh, and I meant play Vice City on the PC. :) I never got the console version. I was disappointed in GTA3 so didn't bother. Heard good things about San Andreas so got that... and hated it. :(

I'd say that, like the PS2... the PS3 will come into it's own later in its 'life'. The PS2 still has some cracking games on it (I just picked up Baroque out of interest...) and I'd be tempted to argue that developers didn't really know how to get the best out of the console until long after FFX was released.

That said, the XBox 360 is no slouch, and Sony need to do more to make the PS3 a more attractive platform for buyers. They don't need to worry so much about developers - they'll code for a platform no matter what if they think it'll sell well. Well, unless you're Gabe Newell. :hehe: To get devs on board, all Sony really need to do is point out the utter lack of piracy on the console. To get buyers on board, they need the price to drop and the catalogue to grow. It would encourage adoption if they could stuff the hardware necessary for PS2 BC back in the console again - I'm sure a fair number of people would trade in their non-BC PS3's for a PS3Slim if it came with proper, 100%, guaranteed working BC.

Yeah, the upscaling in the PS3 is absolutely without peer. FFX practically looks like it could be native HD on my Samsung screen. :)

I'm dubious that Sony are gonna get software BC as good as it needs to be for it to be a firmware update. :(

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  8. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

To those complaining about Gabe's moaning, GT approached Gabe Newell and asked him a question, he gave his honest opinion - deal with it.
    I can see where he's coming from about the PS3 as a development platform as it's so different to everything else the development community is use to, learning the architecture is a lot to swallow considering it's not knowledge that can be invested into the future with other platforms. BUT, this is something that comes with the job as there will always be new things to learn as a developer.

9. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

But then, if I'm following your argument correctly, wouldn't they sell less games? Which would lead to more developers shutting down and thus fewer good games being produced? Why on earth would you want developers to make less money?

As someone who plays games on the PC as well as consoles I don't understand why the hell so many PC gamers are so anti-console. You'd think that fans of gaming would be happy that more people could enjoy good games like HL2, Portal and TF2 but apparently it's a "problem".

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Disagaea 3 is definately a fun game. I'de also recommend (although it depends on who you ask) Folklore. I had fun with that game as well.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

stop developing for consoles valve and give us left for dead 2 already or half life episode 3

diffrence between the consoles

one is quieter one is noisy. Both lack a must have exclusive. That we havent seen before or is already on the pc in a better way. If you have the kit transfer your pc into your hd tv and play some games at native resolutions. Look alot better. Get a 360 joypad and you need not have to listen to the 360 whine at you every 10 seconds

12. Paradigm Shifter

Every time I remember to buy Folklore, it's out of stock. :(

Thanks for reminding me... looking again now. :)

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you guys have obviously never played socom. it really doesnt get any more hardcore than socom.

for those that possibly have tried it and dont like it, it is sort of understandable. socom has a gigantic learning curve and is NOT for noobs or little kids.

give it a try. since i bought it on release date last year it has only come out of my ps3 a couple times. i dont really bother buying other games now unless they are super amazing because i know i'll just play them for a week or two and then go back to socom.

14. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I don't own any console except Playstation 1. I'm a PC gamer. Also I don't care about the games on the consoles. I rarely play games, and when I do it's Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Portal and other Source based games/mods. I like that platform a lot. I know what I get. I know the in-game console very well. When I play other games (on PC or console) I feel lost. I just don't get the other types of games. I hate games with a lot of thinking like RPG and RTS. I get enough thinking when I code (I'm a part time programmer). I want a good story with lots of great gameplay added in. Call me a Valve fanboy!

Also sure PS3 has no piracy, maybe that is why it doesn't sell as well as the XBOX360. Sony allowed homebrew (through running Linux legitimately) so that stopped people from bothering with trying to crack the console. If Microsoft had done the same, I guess people would still have not bothered to crack the console. Homebrew beats running pirated copies of games. And people who are in it for piracy are surprisingly not as good crackers as those who are in it for homebrew. Guess karma is real after all.

And to those who say Gabe moans, well screw you. I have no respect for people who rate other people low just because they don't share the same views.
    If you love PS3 so much, become a PS3 developer yourself. Put your money where your mouth is. Gabe say he wont do PS3 because he can't do it well enough. Valve has extremely high standards. They will simply not do it if they can't stand behind it 100%. They are angry about the DLC problem on XBOX360 (Microsoft demands charges for XBOX360 DLC, so next L4D DLC will requires a fee but is free for PC gamers), but the games themselves run well.

15. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I think some people are completely missing the point.

Yes, there are many developers churning out games on the PS3, but that does NOT mean it is easy to do so and that Valve are making excuses.

In the gaming industry, time = money.

A platform which is hard to code for is a system which requires more time or more man-power - which = more effort and more lost money during the development stage. Some developers will simply decide that it's not worth the hassle.

16. tuaamin13

tuaamin13 What's a Dremel?

Except as soon as you crack the system for Homebrew you crack it for piracy.

The PS3 has the hypervisor in the way, so no GPU acceleration in Linux/homebrew.

"Homebrew beats running pirated copies of the game"
    I've got a dorm full of college students willing to disagree with you. They pirate the hyped up games for Xbox. They went in together and bought a stack of DVDs for like $30 (Apparently some brands work better than others) and flashed their DVD drives. I've got a few other friends who have hacked their system for pirated games and still play on Xbox Live (I think that involves chipping, but I don't own a 360 to comment).

I'd argue there's more piracy than homebrew. I could concede that homebrew coders > pirates since the former are bothering to code for the system they're breaking in to.

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

They asked him...

18. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

if you call waiting an hour to get in a laggy game with a lot of bugs hardcore then all the more power to you.

19. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

erm...

Valve also ignores the Wii, DS, and PSP as well.

They are obviously quite happy developing for the PC and 360. Nothing wrong with that really. Ask him why, and he will give you a fair honest answer... they hate the architecture of the PS3 (and probably the lowly specifications of the Wii/ DS / PSP). Too much effort involved for too little return.

To be honest... if you own a PC it doesnt matter as you will be buying games from Valve to play on the PC anyway most probably. If you dont own a PC, then you are in luck if you got yourself a 360 (to play any valve games) and out of luck is you bought a PS3.

If valve games are so important to you.. go buy a 360 or PC. Plenty of other exclusive games on the PS3 to still make it a worthwhile console.

Its as simple as that.

20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

waiting an hour? wow thats a long time. If i didn't know how to get in a game in 2 minutes like I do now I would hate the game as well. :rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags