1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Inglourious basterds

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 16 Aug 2009.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I saw this last night. I have been avoiding trailers, interviews, reviews about the film since I heard about it first. I knew it would be pretty good so I didn't want to spoil it. And I didn't (
    and I won't
    ).

It's ****ing brilliant. Tarantino back on form. Perhaps not Pulp Fiction, but damn close. Blowing Kill Bill and Grindhouse out of the water with ease. Some people wont like the occasionally long dialogue scenes but they are so well written, and never feel boring. I had a constant grin on my face during some really clever, subtle witty bits.

It's brutal as well. More than anything I've seen him do before which is generally a bit over the top blood and guts. This was over the top, no doubt, but it wasn't quite so comic and there are parts where it is just plain brutal. Eli Roth's influence perhaps?

The star of the show however, is Christoph Waltz. A friend told me afterwards that if this character hadn't been cast properly, the film wasn't getting made. He won Best Actor at Cannes for it, and well deserved. Very very good actor.

Anyway; great film. Go see it!

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It does seem after all the production delays and problems getting the final edit ready that this film has came out all guns blazing and I can't wait to see it.

3. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Inglourious *******s, I don't get the spelling?

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Copyright?

There has already been film released under that name - Link.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's one of those pervert-the-spelling to make it different films. He wanted to use the name, but didn't want people to think it was a remake of the original (which, incidentally, is a good film).

I'm really looking forward to this. I saw a trailer the other day at the cinema and many roffles were had. :D

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Thats what I figured out so far, but it just seemed far fetched...

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

i thought ha had to say it with a e so it wasnt a curse word or offensive

really looking forward to seeing this, prob wednesday

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I remain baffled by Tarantino. Apart from his stronger fans generally being psychotically loyal, defensive, pretentious idiots, I just haven't enjoyed any of his newer films. He seems to thrive on gimmick. Kill Bill had no storyline or character development whatsoever: its appeal seemed to lie in the "wowomg look, arms are flying around and people are getting cut to pieces and she's wearing a cool suit and delivering badass one-liners, sweet!" ...aspect. I didn't scorn it as worthless, but I sure as hell didn't get it.

And this film confuses me even more. What exactly is it - a comedy, a sincere action film, a parody? If so, a parody of what? Itself? When I saw the trailer, my immediate thought was that Tarantino is coasting on the weight of his name, attention-seeking (or rather, money-seeking). I'll have to see it, I suppose.

9. Krikkit

I didn't really get Kill Bill either, but I think it was a bit of a cult thing once you got past the action, which was all most people really watched it for.

I've really enjoyed most of his recent films. I loved Deathproof to bits, and this looks like a meshing of action and black comedy, in a bit of a Coen brothers style, but with a Tarantino twist.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

This one looks like brainless fun...

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I found Tarantino to be best in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill was decent but most of his recent films are pretty bad.

I.B though looks to be pretty awesome anyways, just the whole strange concept of it. To boot Tarantino's hitler i heard.

12. will.

Does a film (or anything for that matter) have to fit into a pre-defined genre?

I wouldn't say that it was a comedy. There are parts you laugh at. Sometimes it's nervous laughter, others a clever bit of writing and a few jokes at our (the English) expense. If it was a comedy, it's about as funny as Pulp Fiction. The same type of humour anyway. It definitely is not a sincere action film. In it (really don't hover over this if you don't want to know)
    Hitler is shot in the face until he doesn't look much like Hitler any more, by a man known as 'The Bear Jew', feared by the German army because he beats people to death with a baseball bat. It's set in an alternative reality where the war ended a year earlier.
    Don't let chapter one fool you. That's about as serious as it gets.

Still, I wouldn't confuse yourself trying to categorise it. Just enjoy it for what it is I suppose. :p

There are bits that you could say that about, but there is a lot of long dialogue. Not boring, but it does waffle on. Someone going along for 3 hours of over the top slaughter will be disappointed.

13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Really want to see this, but really really ****ed off with Cinema Prices, so will wait for Blu-Ray. (As well as every other film I've wanted to see this year)

14. will.

Orange Wednesdays? I went to a preview night for this, but I only rarely pay full price for the cinema. Even if your not on orange, just ask on Facebook, or a real life friend on orange, I'm sure someone will forward you the text. (or get a cheap payg sim and just pay the 20p per text)

I once did that on my iphone and just my luck I pick the nerdy cinema ticket guy. "The iPhone isn't on Orange? Oh, you must have jailbroken it! What did you use? Mines on pawn bla bla bla" I hadn't a clue what he was talking about! :p

15. Krikkit

Heh, Orange Wednesdays are the only reason I go to the cinema anymore - I'm too cheap to pay full-price.

16. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Seriously awesome film.

17. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

WEnt to see this last night... And it put me right off going to the cinema! Not the film itself - but the old couple infront of me who managed to talk for half an hour, then get a phonecall and ANSWER it... and then had the cheek to shout at me when I politely asked if they didnt mind going outside to take calls! Added to the fact that the projectionist forgot to adjust the aspect ratio from the ads so I have no idea what the first ten minutes of subtitles were...

*deep breath*

Aside from that I was a little confused as to how to approach the film. It was hillarious in places, with other parts managing to convey a little of the darkest sides of the war, almost all of it 'tastefully' done (as much as can be tasteful when
    someone is taking a machine gun to Hitlers' face in a cinema filled with flames, smoke, and a Wizzard-of-Oz-esque face and speech....

I also couldn't help but giggle furiously at
    Mike Myers
    as General Ed Fenech as I could only think of
    Austin Powers
    and view it as a spoof...

I'd advise seeing it though - provided you can cope with the gore. Tonight - I shall be re-watching Pulp Fiction...

RwD

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Not out yet here in the States, I'll be seeing it on Friday though.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

As usual, in Holland we only get to see it after the whole world is done with it for about a month or two. I'm still chuffed i got tickets to the pre-event coming saturdaymorning. :(

And to those of you who didn't get Kill Bill, it's just not a standard movie. The whole thing is meant to be a stylistic homage to all kinds of old stuff. For instance, Hattori Hanzo the swordsmith is implied to be a descendant of the mythical Hattori Hanzo that has been an inspiration to many cartoons, movies and even video games. (wikipedia)
    The yellow suit is from Bruce Lee, the whistling melody in the beginning is a theme from an old movie, and when Beatrix finally meets her daughter, they watch Shogun Assassin, the american remake of Lone wolf and Cub, which is a manga series that those two characters are based on.
    The list goes on, check wiki and/or IMDB.
    As a movie in the traditional sense, i can understand that it's not that gratifying. Woman is pissed -> kills the person she's pissed off at, see title if you forget who that was. But seen as a homage to the kind of (bad) movies Tarantino relishes, and as an exposé of style and cinematographic playfullness, it's a fking masterpiece.

Ahhhh that's out of my system. Anyway, I.B., i'm looking forward to it!

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

District 9 and now this ? Nice, I am finally interested in going to the cinema again