1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Daniel’s murderbox – 008 / Final Abridged Version (page 1 loaded w/ images!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by charles_h, 3 Aug 2009.

1. Tankdeckel

Tankdeckel What's a Dremel?

first: respect for that fine work! (and also to the zenfrog)

one question I have: when cutting the housing parts, was it awater cutter designed specifically for thin sheet metal? like a Bystronic, Byspeed 1x i mean.

I would have the choice between plasma and water and have no idea what is better or easier to handle. thx for ur answer ;D

2. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

wow :O this might be some of the cleanest work I've seen in my days on bit-tech :O EPIC casemod!! I see you made it into million-dollar-pc's gallery, that should say something, right? ;)

3. charles_h

charles_h I can has RotoZip?

Sweet! Then I'll take that as a yes... cheers! :)

Yes, keep trying Sni9er!

It's all relative Mate, we all strive to do better and IMHO, its this pursuit that yields the greatest sense of accomplishment. Challenge yourself and you will always be glad you did. :)

Good luck razerz!

I highly recommend checking out the displays that Matrix Orbital offer. They are all super-high quality and the company is great to deal with. :)

Cheers H2O; that's very kind of you you to say. :)

If you're referring to this picture:

[​IMG]

I actually made up those wires and used SATA power connectors I purchased from Performance PCs. They take a bit of patience to install - you have to push the shielded wire down into the metal part firmly enough that it cuts the shielding and makes contact with the bare wire. As for the heatshrink, I just measured the distances between the connectors once attached to the drivers, cut the shrink pieces to length, and then slid them on the wire before attaching the connector. The heatshrink obviously wasn't necessary and would never even be seen once the machine was assembled... I just like doing little details like that - mostly for my own entertainment. ;)

Cheers Tankdeckel!

I'm still awaiting the Zen Frog's return from Germany... Last I heard, he was doing some sightseeing. :)

The water jet used is an Omax - not quite sure of the model. Billy, who owns the machine, also uses it to cut great thick pieces of marble and stone. To answer your question, my recommendation would be to go water jet if you've got the option, especially if you have intricate/detailed cuts to make.

Cheers jegerjon; I really appreciate your kind words. :)

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Are you going to make a cable sleeving guide? Im sure alot of people here (including myself) would benefit greatly from learning any particular techniques you find useful.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I second that, although there is these types of guides on the net. I think a well detailed photo packed version would be nice to have. :)

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

It all really depends on how thick the material is, really thin sheet under a plasma cutter will warp, especially aluminium as it conducts the heat so well. Plasma is serious overkill unless your talking really thick material. All i find plasma cutters useful for is stripping something down in a hurry, i.e cutting steel box section or I beams.

I would water jet every time.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I second water jet, you can cut very thick materials even steel in excess of 6" so anything in the computer world that you can throw at a waterjet will be able to cut it and it produces a cleaner job.

8. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Wow, that's dedication!! Thanks for the tip.:rock:

9. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Theres One over on XS i think.

Just loaded the first page at school. took ages. very beautiful and great photography.

10. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Did you have any numbers for the transfer rates of those SSD's in raid? I dunno....I kinda get off on figures (hor hor hor 200mbps bandwidth)

11. CyberDruid

CyberDruid Have Fein Multimaster Will Travel

The way it should be done. You did it.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Would i be wrong in thinking that 5 SSD's in RAID-0 which can all peak at 200mbps would result in a total bandwidth of 1Gbps?

13. charles_h

It's been something I've been meaning to do but have yet to have the time unfortunately. As Oreon indicates, there is an excellent guide on XS. Best to check it early in the month as usually by this point the image bandwidth is exceeded.

Dangal's Cable Sleeving Guide

Cheers Oreon. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to play too much with the machine when it was done - I loaded a copy of XP Pro to test everything out and what I saw was wicked fast drive performance. When Daniel got the machine, he blew off XP Pro and loaded Vista 64.

I did find some numbers that you might find stimulating. :)

Intel X25-M SSD RAID 0 Performance

Cheers Warren; welcome to Bit-Tech my friend. :)

HiRO likes this.
  14. HiRO

HiRO Humble Modder

Top Quality, nice build charles_h impressive
    +rep

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Whoa, seems like i missed a discussion i started :)

For the most part i agree with you, i just think that 24 wires are too much in almost any scenario i could think of. soldering wires to the bottom of the board might be a bit too rigorous, but surely you could remove the ATX connector and refit the board with something more pleasing? At the very least it could be angled...

Not that i could be able to do all that myself, but i'm pretty sure you could... :naughty:

16. charles_h

Thank you HiRO. :)

I totally hear you Mate - you're spot on with the angled connector idear!

At this stage, it's likely going to be little things that help in the battle of the ever-multiplying wires... we've got a few variations of replacement 24pin and PCI-E connectors in development and then off to production. We're hoping these will help minimize clutter a bit. I just hate how long it takes to develop and get new products to market but we'd rather take more time and get things right than rush and take the risk of something not being up to snuff... especially when its something that could potentially fry a MOBO or GPU! Anyway, we hope to have more news on this topic soon. :)

17. Metric

Metric has a bazooka

Hello everyone.

Sorry for the delay, these should have been done a week or so earlier, but work and school seemed to have caught me off-guard. Better late than never :)

[​IMG]

stonedsurd likes this.
  18. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Hey Charles - What tools do you use when you sleeve the cables?

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Charles I didn't know you were a member here until I saw this worklog this morning. First of all, welcome to bit! (Charles Harwood is on our forum guys... :clap:)

There really are no words to describe what I think of this build. I could sit here and write every complimentary word I know and still not get across how beautiful I think this is. Your work (all of it, not just this particular build) is totally stunning and your attention to detail is the main reason that I love to look at machines you have designed and assembled.

In my 5 years of building bespoke, high performance PCs I have never come close to creating anything as beautiful as Daniels rig. The murderbox was and is a simply brilliant idea and you and Nils have written a very important chapter in the history of case modding and custom builds. In my personal opinion this murderbox sets the bar higher than ever before, and I doubt that anything better looking can or will come from anyone other than you.

We are moving more towards high tech solutions for creating mods these days (flowjet cutting, powder coating, airbrushing, CNC engraving etc) but I think we still have a long way to go before producing anything like this. All I can say is I hope that some day, I'll be able to put my name to something that looks like muderbox 008.

Thanks for sharing the best looking mahine to grace the pages of bit-tech.net so far this year Charles!

Edit: Metric, thanks for the wallpapers - excellent work!

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm not sure what charles uses himself, but I found the Sunbeam PSU modding kit to be very good. I just got one and it's a MAJOR step up from safety pins and staples :p