1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Intel's next billion users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

my teddy bear needs a gaming rig too! one that shows me what he sees and let him play crysis all day long while monitoring his healt and baking cookies.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

haha would love a husky cam

4. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I think schools could benefit from becoming more electronic, just because then it's easier for the teacher. Imagine if each classroom had 30 cheap tablet machines that were left there, then each lesson the students sign in and get their learning resources etc. fed to the tablets. You could include interactive media and all sorts. All the students notes and work could be saved and then when it came to revision time they could just print out their notes alongside the teachers notes for each lesson to take home and read - or better yet just convert it to .pdf and email it home.

Whether it's redundant, who knows, but remember we were using chalkboards instead of pen and paper not too long ago.

5. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Next billion users... and nobody said "China"!! Or do they all have PCs already

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

funny you mentioned doctors. we all know how much money the NHS project "saved".

the next big market IMHO is the TV. embedded DSP chips for advanced decoding, embedded processors for going on internet.

general purpose x86 processors can only live for so long. a new, simpler embedded instruction set is needed (such as ARM's) for future's low powered devices.

7. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

but their PC's are so loaded down with crap software/printer drivers/tray icons/malware that they're too slow to do anything meaningful. Then they get really frustrated and buy one of those new-fangled netbook things, with processors made by, guess who, Intel.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

wonder if they can ever make some software to catch these idiots- it might sell some hardware :p

that central healthcare database obama wants in would be a good step with the tablet sales.. the dog cam- whatever!! :)

9. Xir

Xir Modder

And I truely swear that by the time intel makes a Tablet PC for the price of a (doctor's) pen and paper and a clipboard (again suited for a doctor)...
    So a TabletPC with the power of a netbook for about 100$ I'll buy one.
    Heck I'll buy a few and give them away.

At the moment I'm expected to pay 300€ / 450$ for a netbook too weak to use skype with video...thx

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

We trialled that on a small scale with netbooks for a year. There was something like a 20% failure rate in the first two weeks through kids spilling food and drink into their machines, and almost 60% before the end of the year with mechanical faults like broken screens and keyboards. The teachers involved wanted to go back to pen and paper.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

they have prometheus boards here for the classrooms.. awesome- it's like a big computer screen basically but it eliminates the need for an overhead- and cleaning tons of transparencies after class

http://farroutlinks.net/blog/tag/prometheus-boards/

kids can't spill anything on it cause it's just like a big whiteboard in the front of the classroom, but it allows the teacher to write on it in front of the class with a digital pen.. good stuff

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

intelligent toilets, it could analyse what went into it, then give you a print showing what you need to eat the next day. or dispense vitamin pills.

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yep, we have one of these in every classroom with a short throw projector and a multi-core laptop for every teacher. It was originally as intended as an aid and a way of digitally taking registers, but teachers have become totally dependant on them for delivering lessons.

14. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I have never been in a classroom that allowed food or drink in class.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

And certainy not when there's electrical equipment and/or chemicals in the same room :D

Tags: Add Tags