1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News StarCraft 2 to include Mod Marketplace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

First one to make a LAN mod gets my money!

3. Khem

Khem What's a Dremel?

I bet someone will make a DotA mod/map for SC.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2009
  4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's an absoloutely brilliant way to go about providing DLC. Clever *******s.

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Well, yes - then they can filter it, pick it, sell it, make money from it, exclude LAN support from it, but crucially - they won't spend any money on development of it.

The limp-wristed chocolate starfishes.

6. Mengsk

Mengsk What's a Dremel?

"One map was described as a "third-person action-RPG," while another was an "old-school, top-down Galaga-style space shooter." A third showed how players can create new enemies, as it starred a custom made "mega-Zerg."

And Joystiq, meanwhile, reports that it's even possible to create an FPS with the editor. Blizzard also showed one map starring the character model from the long-cancelled StarCraft Ghost, which apparently was made in just a few hours."

<nerd rage>

Shame. This game in which I have been a big fan of since the day the first was released didn't come out sooner as I would really like to use this for part of my university course. I'm sat at university using tools like hammer and the editor within nwn2 and even using the first Starcraft editor, which I was already familiar with years before I went to uni. Would've been nice to go to uni and make maps within the "new" editor with all these cool features but I doubt that will happen, unless the game is released some time this year and early next. I wouldn't mind using Starcraft 2 as my main project for making game maps/scripts and storytelling.

Also I personally think it's a little lame that we have to pay for "premium" maps that others have created. I remember helping a friend work on the Half-Life story mode in Starcraft based of the start of the first game, which worked pretty well and I don't think I would ever want to charge people or set a price tag for it. I mean how can you even consider a price of a map? what would make up the exact price? Creating maps in a game is not like creating little apps for a mobile phones where you can charge people for them. It's like charging people to download a Team Fortress 2 map or a Call of Duty map (PC, as consoles are already getting charged for that stuff, sadly). I mean back in the day it was also known for its excellent user-created maps and that's how it should be and those were free. I love the whole idea of people getting paid for making maps and I will probably follow the cult and start making my own maps and mods but I for one won't be selling them for a price tag, I would rather have them listed as free because people deserve them for free since they have already paid for the damn game. I'd feel robbed if I had to download a game mode that I played for free in Starcraft 1.

Anyway, love the whole idea of being able to create complex maps and produce better story telling and the different game styles such as being able to create an FPS mod within Starcrat 2 is real cool. I can see Left 4 Dead clones already being planned but the only thing that bothers me is that these "small developers" will put silly prices for their game types. Don't they get enough from draining peoples wallets for World of Warcraft? What next monthly subscriptions to play Diablo 3 -_-

</nerd rage>

7. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

+1

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm just hoping at this point that SC2 will still be an amazing game.. Blizzard hasn't ever released a bad game, but this one is losing some luster. :-|

9. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

This depends on how big a portion mod creators will get. I get the impression this a way for Blizz to make a load of money without doing any hard work themselves. Also will this be the only way you will be able to add mods to SC2?

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll be pissed If good maps have to be paid for...

I mean look at all the good maps in WC3 and SC...

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So they'll charge you for downloading maps and mods?

Hands up if you think this'll back-fire into their faces...

12. Elton

It's suicide I tell you. *raises both hands*.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

there's alot of modders out there.. probably have ratings

14. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Awesome, people can have hobbies that pay for their computers. Best idea since Steam!
    This will revolutionize gaming and be the first mod money portal.

Three cheers for Blizzard!!!

Yours in the Blizzard North Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

15. perplekks45

So you'll pay for a map? Really?

Even if it's just 50p/map that's insane! If WC3 is anything to go by there'll be a couple BAZILLION maps 'n mods soon after release especially if they release that editor. Another money-printing product for Blizzard.

16. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If me, and my friends, spend quality time on making a map for you, yes i support paying for it.
    See the future, you are welcome to join us all there.

LOL,
    S*D

17. perplekks45

I don't think this is a smart move. WC3 would be long dead if not for DotA, custom maps and TDs. They're free, that makes it so successful.

Just my 2 pence, of course. :thumb:

18. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Didn't the article say that only some would be charged for? As long as Blizzard isn't deciding which should be charged for, free-market capitalism should drive the prices down, or possibly even make some high quality products free.

19. Elton

Of course it's decided by Blizzard, although I don't know how this will even work? Will there be separate categories? And how will you play on Bnet with others on the same map? Or will you have to enter a "special" server just to play that map?

Tags: Add Tags