1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lack of LAN in StarCraft 2 is "no big deal"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2009.

1. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I'm pretty sure Blizzard said that they were looking to add charges of some kind when SC2 launches..

2. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

I'll wait for someone to hack it, put in lan, and play it over an 'illegal' server :) .....just for spite.
    Blizzard really dissapointed with this decision. Silly way to 'combat' piracy

3. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

No lan is blasphemy. The only reason the first is still around is because of the LAN.

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

o rly?

I'd be interested in a link to where you got this info, as I believe I've heard exactly the opposite on gamasutra

Gamasutra article

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If they do add charges, then they have gotten just as bad as EA.

And LAN is awesome..how else do I play with friends?

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I can't remember but did warcraft 3 have a lan option? only remember playing it on bnet

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It did.

8. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

that really irritates me since LAN play was the only kind I was planning on doing. I was iffy on buying it when it came out, now, if they don't reintegrate LAN, I'm definately not going to get it untill all 3 parts are a bundle and much cheaper.

9. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Christ,

Imagine sitting next to someone and having a ping of over 200 just cuz it routes you trough blizzard.

OMAIGODNO.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Blizzard said they might add charges for "Premium Content", whatever that might be.

Other than that I don't understand how you can say "No LAN support isn't a big deal, I haz teh intarwebz n-e-wayz!!!111"...
    What about all those people with slow or no connections at all? How do you want to do that for big LAN parties with several thousand people? How much bandwidth is it going to use? How much will it be influenced by lag issues?

Too many negative aspects to using B.Net or P2P [what a joke!] instead of LAN for me.

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Well it is obvious that Blizzard has opened the 7th seal and is unleashing the end times upon us!! Just in time for 2012!!

People, grow up!!! It is Blizzards game, and they decided to remove lan, they said that they would work with people after the release. Fair enough.
    You act as if you have to die or something, do not buy it if it bothers you that much.

Yours in Hardcore PC Gaming Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

12. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Have you ever tried to play LAN games in a dorm? A lot of the time the networking is so screwed up that we had to sign in online anyways. Some dorms are LAN game friendly, but many are not.

Frankly, there are bigger issues than the omission of LAN capabilities. The people that are boo-hooing over the tentative LAN omission should appreciate that that's the worst thing they have to complain about.

Too many drama queens out there these days. Besides, there's a while before the game's released and blizzard will probably backpeddle and flip-flop half a dozen times before then.

13. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

^^^ thats the point, its a product you paying for... and supporting! should not settle for anything less than TOP NOTCH!

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I think 2 things will happen: Either they patch it back in after release or somone releases something to fool the game into thinking you're playing online when you're playing via lan, I never thought people would need to reverse the roles before :p

15. perplekks45

The way I understood it it's a bit like Steam where you have to be signed in to play a game but without the option of an offline mode.

16. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

Ive been a pretty big blizzard fan for a while now. I've played Diablo 2 extensively, WoW religiously, and Starcraft 2 is a childhood past time that me and my buddies play every time we LAN. However, recently, I doubt I will play any blizzard game in the future. WoW has turned into a joke with version 3.2 out, and im not looking forward to 3.3 (when u can finally complete all the content in the expansion). Cataclysm looks like it will be absolutely no fun at all. I've also been put off by Diablo 3, the new class (monk) looks like they decided to put mortal combat into the game, and the graphics looks just a little bit too much like WoW. SIgh, and Starcraft 2.... anyone remember when it was supposed to be out a year ago? no wait, 6 months ago? no wait, last month? Blizzard said they would release it at the end of 2009. Fine. I can wait, I'll be getting a nice fat x-mas bonus and can spend it on a great new game. Now they say, "no no, its gonna be 2010." why not just say it will be Dec. 21, 2012? You know, they day the world will supposedly end, so that when Blizzard has finally realized how much of people's time they have wasted, you will only have to play the (seemingly not very apealling) game for only 1 day. I swear, if Blizzard decided to release ANY of their 3 new games (that are in development now) this year, they might win my heart back. Untill then, my WoW subscription will stay cancelled and I won't be buying SC2/D3.

Crazyglue

17. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

Apparently Crazyglue is from the future and he's pointing out that they do end up adding LAN support... everyone can relax now :)

18. Tasik

Tasik What's a Dremel?

='(

Well I signed up to say only that I'm disappointed in this no lan concept.

First we have to buy 3 copies of the game and now we can't even simply play it in our cold dark damp basement with our unattractive socially inept friends.

I was actually really hoping Blizzard would bring back the idea of 'spawn' installations. Those were the days when they were loyal to there fans.

(Not that I feel Blizzard owes there fans anything. All fans do is complain about how long it takes for them to release something and then once its out b!tch about how much its lacking and how disappointed they are.)

Anyways in desperation I signed this petition. I know it won't do anything, but f*** what else am I suppose to do?

http://www.petitiononline.com/sc2byct/petition.html

And its safe to say that if a hacked lan version of starcraft II is released I'll downloaded it.

Because its hard enough getting 4 people onto Warcraft III Arranged Team through my stupid 2wire modem when you want to play on Battle.net.

Not requiring the internet is just so much simpler.

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

From what they've said, each game will have a lengthy enough campaign to justify the separation and prices. The multiplayer will be fully functional starting with the 1st release anyways.

20. perplekks45

I heard Santa and the Easter Bunny will bring it to each and everyone personally!!! :rock: :rock:

:eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags