1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Moneual Moncaso 972 HTPC case review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

I move into my house in the next few weeks and my first job is to build a decent HTPC.

The big question is what, in your opinion, is the best case to go for?

At the moment my personal preference is the Zalman HD160+ or the Antec Fusion MAX

Though I am also tempted just to buy a good looking premium case like the ACTS 840 and put it in the corner of the room. You seem to pay a premium for HTPC cases then need to make sacrifices with cooling/noise.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Are there any rack ears for it?

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

the problem is power use. Lately I am thinking more and more about ditching all my large wc rigs and other htpc stuff buy some good nas units connected to my xtreamer and one controller like a mini atx format pc with lot of cpu power and a gtx275 inside for the usual works like gaming and webbing and maybe a small sdd for speedy boots. My current htpc is sitting on his side in a corner somewhere eating dust...

5. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

That looks like a late 80's early 90s yamaha amp

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Never heard of Moneual before. Any chance of a review of the Moncaso 312?

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

This company builds some of the best HTPC cases but as shown the price is really hard to swallow, my biggest issue with full HTPC is when you add Blu-Ray to the mix there is such little support for blu-ray that it makes things start get costly because there is so few companies offering the software so the prices are high >< I dont know maybe this has changed, is there any free blu-ray playback software yet?

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I second this.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

As far as I know, if you have any DVD playback software purchsed within the last 2 years or so it will already support Blu-Ray discs... I know mine do. eg... Cyberlink PowerDVD 9

I too like the Zalman 160+, however they are very hard to come by in silver which is the option I would go for. Black cases are soo.... well... FOREVER... lol. I've always gone for silver cases as the dust shows up a lot less. But as the general opinion in here seems to be, I think that HTPC cases are way over priced for the size/features/usability.

10. HourBeforeDawn

Only the Ultra support blu-ray completely, the other versions downmix the audio to 2ch and some blu-ray features are not supported if at all. at least thats what their sites says.

What Im talking about is how there is pretty much only two companies (as far as I know) offering bluray playback which means they can charge a ridiculous $80+ at times for the software so Im wondering if by now there is more companies offering software or better if their is any open source software.

11. SchizoFrog

@HourBeforeDawn

Yeah I see what you mean... I only just realised that my version is Ultra and was worth £80... although it can be found on amazon.co.uk for around £45inc Del. So I would say hit the etailers and see what you can find.

The next question would be, do none of the Blu-Ray drives come bundle with software? or is it only the more basic versions if they do?

...and they wonder why Blu-Ray isn't taking off.... lmao.

12. SchizoFrog

13. NightrainSrt4

NightrainSrt4 What's a Dremel?

You don't need a high-end gpu to playback bluray content. A HD4550 with the correct encoded files will playback any bluray you through at it.

14. stewis

stewis What's a Dremel?

Is there such thing as a HTPC case that doesnt look like i bought it in the early 90's?

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

the oem powerdvd that comes with bluray drives is usually gimped down to 2 channel audio...

16. HourBeforeDawn

yes thats true, that was what my friends and I got who have blu-ray drives thats what sucks and then once they come out with a new number version you have go spend 80+ again so that you can keep watching blu-ray as they keep updating the security for it ><

Tags: Add Tags