1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i7 920 or wait for i5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oatey4519, 26 Aug 2009.

1. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I know the crystal balls will come out, but can you speculate as to whether the 920 prices will likely remain as are or fluctuate at all with the release of the i5...

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^They'll either plummet or go through the roof, but one thing's for sure stock won't last long because they will be discontinued.

3. TheHalfWit

TheHalfWit Call me dino

It's not certain that they will be discontinued though; so far if I am up to date on my reading; "sources say" never counts as the company final decision. I doubt though that they will discontinue the 920 though as it has to be one of their stronger performers and if I had decided to do my build a few months down the line and I had a choice between a $570 chip and the $250 amd chip i'd be tempted to go AMD if only to send intel a jolly old F you for discontinuing a part that has been proven reliable and cheap relatively speaking.

All in all September is a few days around the corner; then we will know whether intel will stop production of the 920.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Two words: Big Bang.

That is all.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Believe it when I see it.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I tend to disregard the "sources say" stuff altogether, so IIRC Intel announced that several times aswell. With that said though, Intel being what they are, you can never know for sure.

7. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

So in other words, if they announce it is to be discontinued i best have some cash at the ready if i want one!?!

8. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Sounds like a good plan..

9. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I don't think it's gamble opting for an i7 920.
    I don't give a sh*te about what LGA1156 brings to the table, LGA1366 will be around for quite a while yet, and, I'd hasten to guess that the current range of LGA1366 Nehalem i7's will out perform 90% of Lynnfield chips when they are released, bar a couple of the very high end Lynnfield's.

The i7 is at the sharp end of affordable performance CPU's, and will be for sometime to come.

As for i9 (Gulftown), 6 core, 12 threads will still be in an LGA1366 package and Intel claim current X58 LGA1366 mobos will support it, albeit with a BIOS flash. 32nm production process so should run a bit cooler? The extra 2 cores / 4 Threads are bound to increase performance in Multi-Threaded apps / games.

No idea on clock speeds, but I'd assume the i9 family will have several models (e.g. 920, 950, 965 etc. etc.).

Being Intel's first 6 core chips, I'd expect them to be pretty pricey upon release.

So, IMO, if you buy an LGA1366 i7 / X58 mobo, you will have upgrade paths over the next couple of years and be able to keep at the sharp end.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2009
    Abhorsen likes this.
  10. oatey4519

cheers for your comments..

i am going for a 920 thats for sure.

still debating over the mobo..
    so for the top end or lower version..
    i know i will regret not buying a Deluxe... but its so much more money. worth it??:duh:

11. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Thanks Fazed that's quite useful as i am looking to upgrade, it was to be in around 3 months but if an i7 setup offers scope for improvement in the future in addition to there not being an affordable benefit to waiting for i5 then i may have to consider upgrading early (Oh the chore :p)

12. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Depends on what you plan to do with it?

If you're looking to overclock, the Deluxe pretty much wins outright. Came out tops in CPC's recent X58 group test. The BIOS is a dream to work with.

If you plan on running at stock, you needn't spend the extra money, unless of course, you just want one of the best mobo's on the market:D

13. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I neither advise you to buy now or wait, as I have no inside knowledge about what's going to happen in the industry. I'm simply pointing out that if you get an i7 now, i don't think you'll be stuck with equipment that will be absolete in 6 months, there will be upgrade option in the future and the LGA1366 platform will remain at the high end of desktop computing for sometime.

14. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Yeah but thats all i was lookin for, reassurance that if i plump for an i7 now, it won't be lagging in 12months.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL no chance! Considering some people bought Q6600s 18 months ago and still dont feel the need to upgrade. You've got tons of memory bandwidth and CPU cores to play with.

16. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

I agree with Bindi, I am still running my old QX6700 I won at an i series and its still running excellent to this day, I havent found a program that actually takes it too its limits from day to day use, The only thing in my rig at the moment that needs an upgrade is my graphics card,

Mainly down to poor timing when the card was released the good ol 8800 but I got the 320 version and missed the 512 one by a matter of weeks.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The UD5 is great. Might not be THE BEST overclocker but it's good enough for that, and the features are great. Also supports 3-way SLI and Crossfire unlike the P6T.

My favorite feature must be the POST display, that will tell you what's wrong when the damn thing just won't boot and you have no way to troubleshoot some components. AAAH bad memories! bad!

18. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Still rocking an E6750 :D although I could do with a much better motherboard.

19. oatey4519

Hi Guys...

Well i did it.

Got my 920
    Asus Deluxe v2
    Cosair ddr3 1600..
    all to work with a gtx 260

I HAVE A PROBLEM.... nooooo...

My 260 will not power up/fans run etc..
    So no posting that i can see.. no beeps from Mobo
    Running this on a 750w power supply.

2 x 6 pins connected to 260

on my old Biostar TPower board there was an extra power socket on it..
    even tested the GPU on my old setup and all's fine.

Am i missing something here???

Even taken every out.. reset Cpu and everything..
    it must be something really simple.. been at it for ages and its driving me mad

Thanks Guys

Please help.. Ta

20. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

Did you plug in that 4pin connection sometimes 8pin connection at the top of the motherboard where the cpu is?