1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment 7D, 100/2.8 IS L Macro...

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Vers, 1 Sep 2009.

1. Vers

Vers ...

A few new, seemingly impressive, products announced by Canon today
    7D
    100/2.8 IS L Macro and the official Canon listing
    EF-S 15-85mm and 18-135mm

Some highlights....

7D:
    * 18 MP APS–C CMOS Sensor
    Designed and manufactured by Canon, the sensor produces an outstanding image and offers fantastic performance at high and low conditions, thanks to a new photodiode and microlens construction.
    * 8 fps image capture
    Enabled by the Dual “DIGIC 4” processors and improved electrical system, photographers can capture images at 8fps, without the need for additional accessories and in all file types.
    * ISO Range
    The EOS 7D enables photographers to capture subjects in their natural light. The ISO range (100 – 6,400) is expandable to 12,800.
    * EOS Movie
    With improved operation, making it easy to switch directly to movie mode, it is now even simpler to shoot Full HD video. Users can set exposure and frame rate – with options for 24 fps to create that cinematic feel.
    * Dual “DIGIC 4” processors
    By utilising Dual “DIGIC 4” processors, users of the EOS 7D never have to compromise between shooting speed, image quality and ISO performance.
    * Impressive Design
    Canon has listened to photographer feedback when designing the body, as well as the internal technologies. A magnesium alloy body offers environmental protection – the tough, lightweight construction is designed to defend against moisture, and dust – equivalent to the legendary EOS–1N.

-"New Flash and Wireless Flash Control. The 7D is the first Canon EOS to come with an Integrated Speedlite Transmitter. The system allows to control up to three groups of four flashes each. With 15mm the built-in flash features wider flash coverage than previous models. Its guide number is 12/39 (ISO 100, in meters/feet)."

100/2.8 IS Macro:
    -"The new Hybrid IS system features up to 4-stop correction, compensating for the effects of camera shake, during normal shooting. Low friction ceramic balls support the moving elements, which allows for the amazingly smooth movement – needed when compensating for camera shake during macro shooting. Hybrid IS corrects shift movement – problematic when shooting up close -as well as angular movement providing photographers with the benefit of up to 2 stops at 1.0x magnification."

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

While aimed squarely at the D700, I still think Canon is being cheap by limiting the AF to a less then awesome module. And it finally get a robust body and wireless flash control. TBH, this is what the 5DkmII should have been.

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

It all looks good but still no Wifi Like the new Sonys.

4. coorz

coorz Miffed

Impressive specs. If 7D high ISO equals or bests 5DII / MK3 it'll be my ideal backup camera.

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Looks like a worthy upgrade to my 30D. Now to start scraping cash together :grr:

Anyone want a kidney? How about a bit of lung? :D

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just dont get foolish and sell your eyes, would be rather wasted if you were to then spend the cash on a camera! lol!

7. Vers

Vers ...

The 7D is not, and I repeat NOT, aimed to compete directly with the D700. The 7D is a direct competitor to the D300s. On this level it looks to be a formidable opponent. I do, however, agree some of the new features found in this body should have been implemented in the 5DII, then again that's a whole 'nother thread.

8. Vers

Vers ...

It won't, not by a long shot :(

9. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Don't count it out yet :), DPreview have one i think they've posted up the specs and have a hands on preview just waiting for some pictures to filter through.

Think it's gonne be hard to not sell my 50D and grab this bad boy :), 8fps mmmmm makes for some awesome Kitesurfing shots :D.

10. ssR

ssR Carbon God

tbh at first when i saw the announcement i was all excited and stuff
    but after doing some rational thinking i came to a conclusion that if you're a canon user and you own anything above 40D you will have to think twice before considering getting a 7D. at least from my point of view

from the specs i can already tell that it will be an awesome tool for all the nature lovers, to be more specific wildlife and birds. high FPS, plenty of cross type focus points and plenty of MP if cropping is required. not to forget the crop factor that adds more "tele" abilities to any lens

but the way i'm looking at it i won't even consider swapping my 50D in favor of this 1
    because at this point the only upgrade i see myself making will be towards FF body, most likely 5DMKII or whatever will be available at the time i decide to make the upgrade.
    for me, upgrading from 50D to 7D with all it's new features will be more like a technology chase rather than a real upgrade in terms of IQ

what i really need at this point is a body that can give me more dynamic range and better high iso performance than 50D, while maintaining or bettering all the other features. at this point the only thing that can give it to me is the new 5D. that minus the FPS (don't really care about that)

so, of all the announcements made today, the most exciting imho is the new macro lens. cant wait to see a detailed review on that one :)

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Hmm... although I could just as well get by with one....

For sale: one eye, brown, perfect vision, one careful previous owner.

12. Vers

Vers ...

An 18mp APS-C sensor is not going to put out the same high ISO performance as the 5DII or the 1DIII for that matter....period.

13. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Well the D300 gets to within a stop of the D3/D700 in terms of high ISO noise (it really can put out great 1600 images if you understand the limitations of the sensor-but this is nothing new), so if Canon has been snorting the same pixie dust, it might be close.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was looking at the 7D and it's an impressive piece of kit and I think it'll be hugely successful for Canon. Bird watchers, sports photograhers, etc will lap it up. The AF in particular looks awesome, but that's not a big enough feature for me (for most of my photography) and I think I'm really looking to a 5D MkII as my next camera... here's hoping it comes down in price a bit between now and next year!

15. Vers

Vers ...

The D300 doesn't have an 18mp sensor in it. Aside from that I have seen some pretty promising sample images from this body, but I'd like to see what the production model can do before proclaiming it a success.