1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is PC gaming dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Sep 2009.

1. dreamhunk

dreamhunk What's a Dremel?

2. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Exactly, people miss the point, PC gaming will always be there as long as PC's are, but, when we see no PC exclusives taking advantage of the PC platform, IMO, that is basically the death of it.

3. Lepermessiah

WOW, what ignorance, 1 4870 is around 150, and, comparing cost to a machine that can do all a PC can, against one that only does 1 or 2 things is not fair is it? Also keep in mind, most already have a PC in the home, if you factor that in wioth the extra cost of a console, may as well upgrade said PC a little more, making it barely anymore expensive. PC gaming is NOt near as expensive as people like you make out, not at all.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

5. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Piracy is everywhere except in the PS3, so if piracy is the problem then why do they still make so many Xbox360 games? Xbox360 pirated games are even worse because you can actually play them online, multiplayer, coop and not get banned by Microsoft!...

You can't play a PC pirated game like that, unless you use hamachi and play the 1.0v of the game which we all know sucks and still the experience is not 1/8 of an original game...

I vote STEAM! love it

6. dreamhunk

dreamhunk What's a Dremel?

piracy is on the ps3 too also the nintendo wii and dsi have much bigger piracy rates than pc gaming does, it's over a billion. Mircosoft have been losing billions on consoles so they had their game devs trash talking pc gaming.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53403

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/27482/PS3-piracy-begins

http://news.softpedia.com/news/1-Billion-Dollars-Worth-Pirated-DS-Games-Were-Seized-83135.shtml

the wii ans dsi piracy must be over 2 to 3 billion by now.

the decline of pc games at retail is a reslut from gamestop and microsoft. Here is a few link more links. Basicly big bussines wants to destory pc gaming. micorsoft has already lost billions on consoles do they are trying to force pc gamers into buying consoles. EB games or Gamestop they don't make money on new games. it is why pc gamers are treated like dirt. They make their games off of the use game market.

In fact they had epic games and lionheadstrash talking pc gaming

http://kotaku.com/5058402/molyneux-says-pc-gaming-market-in-tatters

Big companies buy up all the space for their console games at retail, so pc games get pushed to the back.

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=60207

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/07...led-pc-gaming-in-retail-stores-one-site-says/

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=60207

it is why pc gamers are moving to DD or online

Last edited: 1 Sep 2009
  7. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

Personally I think the PC needs to evolve like consoles have into multimedia machines and yes pc can all ready do a lot more multimedia things than console but they require the keyboard and mouse which is not the best thing for a lot of multimedia activities, the pc needs to be reinvented to have the image for what it can do which is to be the heart of the home, the office and the entertainment at the same time.

So people may dislike what I’m about to say but I think it needs to be done the pc needs its configuration to be simpler than it is now, if people knew how much the value for money pc you could build I think the home would be a very different place than it is today.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2009
  8. Lepermessiah

[PUNK] crompers likes this.
  9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

We don't disagree there.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

on one hand, you know you can probably make money if the title is good- but single player without an addicting multiplayer component aka mmo or cod4, css, ect is going to be cracked and put out day one

torrents are a issue that could be stomped if it wasn't for the fact it works better the more people you have in the swarm.. so the crackers- in order to attract these mongloids like flies, make very simple installs, his reward is a bunch of mongloids repeating his handle across space

then you have the search engines to find these.. besides google, they make money off donations/ads- so catering to this pool of people is the breadwagon.. funny is they actually have a following of people who think they are doing it for some cause other than that paycheck.. things were alot simpler before napster did it- same with kazza.. what does your general butt wrangler use today, limewire (this program alone has kept many pc fixers in business)

it's all become a mess.. now I'm totally down with young kids pirating these expensive apps and learning- they wouldn't have access to it outside of college otherwise.. but games, unless your cracking them it's not really something you need.. wish the younger crackers would realize that today before the pc gaming market does die down any more.. racing to put out that game first for the donkeys might not be the best idea

problem is these taco poppers who are the target audience and can buy things, getting it all for free (while they are franks puppet on the botnet).. I wouldn't mind if the isp's put a stop to it- it would be so simple for them to do that- they can see everything you do.. but that's where it comes back to the money.. hardware makers love piracy- it sells the goods every year.. isp's love having customers and bandwidth has become cheap

might be down to crackers just having some willpower and holding back releases to the public on new titles.. that way if the title is good it will sell.. the only thing I can think of with any real impact given what we have today on the net- it will never happen, I just don't see any other way unless the isp's hire a bunch of clowns with patches cut out the crotch, pay a visit anyone out of control

&edit might well add to this.. drm needs to be kept in check- privacy is important, and soon as the public gets complacent you'll have some yokel devs thinking why not get all the information we need.. what worries me about steam/gfwl, there should always be backlash to spyware

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I can think of one way....voice commands. with the wii remote d-pad for camera movement and if the remote was sensitive enough for drag and drop the rest could be done with voice commands. simply barking out team x defend base would be pretty cool. Guess the problem then comes with AI tho.

TBH I think PC gaming will survive. The market is sorta split into grandparents etc with the wii, casual and some hardcore gamers with the ps3 and xbox and hardcore on the PC. As the article said, there will always be some developer who will release an pc exclusive. It might be few and far between but if aimed at the hardcore gamer then the pc shouldn't have a problem. After all, it can still play ports.

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, but they tried that with EndWar and failed miserably. It was basically noughts and crosses with a fancy skin - the epitome of a dumbed down console RTS.

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

14. DuvelDuvel

DuvelDuvel What's a Dremel?

The problem that I see is that making games has moved from being an art to something else where money is EVERYTHING.

Since games cost so much to make they need to appeal a very wide group of potential buyers, hence everything has become dumbed down so every idiot can play and have fun. This trend has left me as a gamer who seeks an interesting challenge in the cold.

My personal taste goes to RTS and RPG games but both genres are becoming more muddled and boring with each iteration.
    Especially RTS games have really gone downhill since the release of Company of Heroes(2006) there hasn't been ANY game that even tried to come close, three years after it's release there still 7k online daily, simply because there is no alternative new game.

Main problem that I see is that making a really innovative and challenging new game is a lot more riskier compared to making a casual in the middle of the road game. Where animation of humans has an uncanny valley, a similar thing seems to exist when making proper challenging games. Making game more challenging/ intelectually interesting is a rough balancing act, how much will you ask of the player and what safeguards do you put in place. Example: old game I used to play was Bladerunner, in the game you had to get clues from pictures to advance in the game, if you were too thickheaded to figure them out you got stuck.
    Ofcourse making games too hard or too unforgiving will mean that players will dislike it, but these days all game-devs seem to stay far away from making it even remotely challenging. Nice example being mass-effect, even on hardest difficulty it's a complete cakewalk. Well. go try diablo on hardest, now that's something completely different.

PC gaming will remain a secondary group simply because the group of 'casual gamers' is just alot bigger and easier to steal money from. Me as a pc-gamer are hard to please while other groups just ritually buy their latest FIFA each year. For pc gaming that's unheard of, L4D gamers seriously got pissed after L4D2 was announced, FIFA players have sucked it up for decades.

Personally I will just keep voting with my wallet and buy pc exclusive games that have been well made.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I think there is three factors in play,

Pirating
    Poor Sales / game cost and production cost
    Expensive upkeep on gaming systems just to play a $50 game

Its kinda hard to explain but personally I wish we only had to upgrade out gaming rigs every two years and in those two years any game that came out could be played on max settings and a rig that cost around $900 to $1600us

Ya I know it would help the gaming industry but hurt the hardware industry kinda a double edge sword ugh

theres been times where I too have thought of switching to console because how expensive it is just to play some of these games.

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You can't build a gaming PC for $200. You can't build a gaming PC for $400. I've built plenty, and a half decent one is probably $600-800 minimum.

Yes, it's useful for other things. Aside from gaming, however, most of what we use our PCs for could be done by a significantly cheaper one. You don't need a 4870, 4 gigs of ram, and an i7 processor to check your e-mail and print out your homework and watch YouTube. A $200 Dell Celeron special is more than enough computer for most home users.

So, yes, it is more expensive to build a decent gaming PC then it is to get a cheapo old PC and an Xbox.

There's also the issue of upgradability and depreciation. A console purchased in 2005 or 2006 is not outdated. All of the current games can run at maximum settings on a 4 year old console. But obviously, the same cannot be said for PC. The joke is that your computer is obsolete as soon as you open the box, which is based on the truth. Not that long ago, I spent $250 on a socket 939 X2 3800+. Now, it's maybe worth $25. If I had bought a $299 Xbox then, it would now be worth $199. Within a year, the hardware you have has probably depreciated by about a third, and the new hardware is much better. After a few years, you're stuck to turning all the graphics down, or buying a whole new PC. The consoles will stay current until they are phased out.

There's a certain price barrier to PC gaming. The other major issue is multiplayer capabilities. If I have an Xbox, I can have 3 friends come over, and we can all play together. If I have a kickin' gaming PC, I can have 3 friends come over, and they can watch me play games.

Consoles certainly appeal to a younger audience, and they also appeal to parents, as well. If I get my 2 kids an Xbox, they can play each other. If I get my 2 kids a gaming PC, they can fight over who gets to play on it. It's by nature a more social gaming system, and it lends itself well to high school aged kids, since it's cheap, it's portable, and you can play with friends.

javaman likes this.
  17. DuvelDuvel

DuvelDuvel What's a Dremel?

Yeah giving kids consoles Xboxes is the easy-mode way.

Giving them a pc to play around with they will learn skills and knowledge that will actually help them later in life.

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

but not everyone spends as much as you on WC! seriously though to build a system that will just play the games, and not be the best of the best or exotic in any way is fairly cheap nowadays. its even cheaper to just get a decent graphics card

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I always find this debate funny.

Solution & Answer:

If you think PC gaming is dead, good for you, go play your console and stay away from PCs.

If you don't think PC gaming is dead, good for you, go play w/e you want and enjoy yourself.

Does it really matter what platform you play on? A game's a game, you play it, you enjoy it. The PC has been around for far long than any of the current, or past, consoles and still get games being built for it. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

I see it more as a cost vs return. When the xbox/ps3/wii first came out, not many games were being made, then the return investment of creating for them started increasing and slowly the focus went to consoles. When the current gen starts to become seriously outdated, PC games will rise again and will continue rising until a new generation of consoles comes out and the return investment becomes more profitable for them. Cycle will repeat. Because no matter how epic and cheap a console is, it'll ALWAYS have a smaller user base than the PC market, and it WILL get axed eventually and be replaced by something else. Even the PS3 with it's PS1 & PS2 (for certain consoles) compatibility still has a smaller user base than the PC.

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think that sums up the main difference for me too. although you can do a certain amount of multiplayer with a friend on pc theres very few titles.

PC gaming does look far better and keyboard and mouse is great, but the amount of problems Ive had with games (fallout 3, oblivion, mass effect, timeshift, crysis in DX10 mode) Its a total nightmare at times. When it works, it works very well and thats enough to keep me happy. I use my pc as a media center for DVDs, uni work, t'internet which is why I went with a pc over a console. the only thing I have truely missed from console gaming, is the multiplayer. Luckly I still have my PS2 which does more than a good enough job for those gaming parties

Tags: Add Tags