1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Final Choice for Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jokaz, 2 Sep 2009.

1. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

Just curious as to why you recommend scan over ebuyer was it just on choice of items?

Ebuyer has almost everything I need and seems to be cheaper than the equivalent items for the most part than scan does.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £189.66 as opposed to £202 from scan
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 D0 stepping 8MB Cache OEM Processor £192.99 vs £200 Coolermaster ATCS 840 Black Aluminium E-ATX Case - No PSU £169.99 vs £179.92

Are their returns/RMA policies much different?

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

The break down is all too simple -
    For Cooling - Antec 1200 or HAF 932, period
    For Style - Lian Li LA71-B for its sleek finish
    For Build Quality - The ATCS 840 is built like a tank
    For Features - Again the ATCS 840
    For Value for Money - Antec 902 even though I think its an ugly critter (the 1200 is good but the 902 is just uuugghh)

Overall I'd go with the Lian-Li because I'd feel proud to have that under my desk :thumb: but thats my honest opinion

3. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

I made my PC in the spring and had the same problem. I even opened a theme on the matter. "Which case to buy". Result??
    None;
    or it lacked dust filters (and I'm not in need of a vacuum cleaner; I don't like hybrid multi-purpose stuff),
    or it didn't cool well the graphic cards (which is becoming much more important than processor).

How have I solved the problem? I have built my PC in a cheap case borrowed from an office PC; the result is, that I now have a pseudo "Antec-skeleton" case under my desk; i can't close it, since I would cook my system-I have taken away the panels.

A whole array of new arrivals is coming on the case market; many of which look very promising on the matter of satisfying the two request: dust filters and graphic card cooling.
    The most promising is the Silverstone series: Raven 02 and the premium version of the Raven 2-Fortress FT02.

With the G300 Nvidia graphic processor (tetra chip SLI configuration-two cards each with two processors) the need for perfect graphic cooling will become the most important factor in selecting the case. The failures are mainly due to the today (outdated) horizontal orientation which damages the printed board.
    Silverstone has managed to look ahead; I hope, that the space won't be too short (dimensions-lenght of the new dual chip graphic card GeForce"395").

Bit Tech is promising a review.

4. Daytona178

Daytona178 Guest

Why not get a Antec 900 Two, it pretty much identical to the 1200 but is not so big.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

For me the 902 is far too ugly to warrant a purchase.

6. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

I have forgotten to to say, that I must as soon as possible buy a new case, to rebuild that cheap PC. :D

7. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

+ 1 million, its an ugly little thing, It looks like they took a 1200 and compressed it, when you do this to ANYTHING the effect tends not to be nice (unless its the HAF 922 in which case it looks better)

8. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

They did not compress it; it was washed on 90 degrees (in a tumble washing machine). :))

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

They gave it to Nissan.

[​IMG]

10. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Disgusting; you should be sent to social labour for this photo. :D

11. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

:facepalm: :duh: ugh... you have failed... there is the door... use it - :p

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I know that the OP has decided to go with the Coolermaster ATCS840, but how come noone gives the new Lancool (Lian Li!) cases a second look? They pretty much blow the Antec xHundred series out of the water in build quality and features. And they're petty cheap, too...

13. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you guys - been laid up with swine flu last couple of weeks so not made any purchases as yet. Well I really like the look of the Lian Li PC-A71B but cannot seem to find a place to buy it. Did the price of aluminium shoot through the roof over the past couple of weeks as some of the prices I've seen for this case are crazy.
    Any recommendations where to buy the case in the UK?
    Also is it worth considering this case Lian Li PC-A10B as an alternative or is it a little to small and is air flow sufficient?
    Thanks in advance

14. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Personally I'm thinking about the second generation Raven02 case.
    It's very quiet, the cooling capabilities are TOP, dust filters are perfect, good manufacturing quality.
    The ATCS 840 is excellently made and build, but its cooling capabilities of GPU are non existent; with dual GT300 from Nvidia it that a critical failure.

The other case that is interesting is Fortress02 (luxurious version of Raven02); however it got delayed (to end of November). It has space for 5 HDD (Raven 3) and 7 slots (Raven 8).

I was hoping for the Bit-tech review before buying the Raven 02, but apparently I'll have to do without. Half internet has already tested the case, here they are promising without end.
    It is painful to buy without the review of Bit-tech, since I was always reading their case tests.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'll throw a spanner in the works here. I am going a long the lines of the new Corsair case with the new one I am starting, just have a look at that as well.

16. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

The corsair Obsidian Series 800D is a very nice case but way over my budget - I'm already over stretching by looking at alternatives to my original Akasa Omega. Ah well guess I keep looking a little longer before I bite the bullet

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I again feel the urge to pimp the new Lancool cases, or the Lian Li PC-P50 for that matter. :)

Although the Silverstone Raven2 and FT02 look interesting too, if you have the space for it.

18. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!!

19. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

Read the lastest custom pc. They suggest that the lancool is fine, however, it has average cooling (as opposed to Antec 902 and HAF 922's exceptional cooling) and the materials used are cheap. Where it lacks is GPU cooling.

20. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

I did also start looking at the Silverstone TJ09B-W mainly because I am struggling finding somewhere to purchase the Lian-Li PC-A71B - yoyotech had them in stock but I'm not prepared to pay the extra £20 for carriage