1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Cable fitting help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkeytennis, 7 Sep 2009.

1. monkeytennis

monkeytennis What's a Dremel?

Looking for a GPU now. The 4890 for £130 looks the best bet for now. Thought about two but don't want to go mad when DX11 ones will be out soon.

2. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

I would not buy for now; ATI is launching new cards during this week and the prices will go down (for the old ones). However you must consider, that with current graphic you are not going to play any high-end games on such a big screen resolution.

3. monkeytennis

So a 4890 won't be good enough for a 24" screen? How about 22"? I have a 22" LCD TV that I could use for now.

4. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

1920X1200 is the screen resolution of the HP monitor above; this is far above any HD Tv set (plasma or LCD) of any kind.
    Don't look at the resolution; panel technology is important!! these monitors have a superior IPS panel (as opposed from cheap ones, that are TN).

5. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I don't think the gains in buying a more expensive panel are even remotely worth the 100s of extra ££ if you are just sitting directly in front of the screen gaming.

6. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

hmm, well you are not going to play Crysis with that card. Or two of them.

You can try with an LCD TV, but the dots that make the image are too large (image like old cheap newspapers) so you must look from far away (images good), this means Word or text editing is going to be a little unpleasant.

7. monkeytennis

Would a GPU not have to work harder for the 1200 rather than 1080? I will look at the HP one in a mo. Also, will DX11 cards play DX10/10.1 games as well as or better than DX10/10.1 cards?

8. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Slizza! nice to hear from you! your tech support is admirable!

Well, I tried both; I have now the mentioned HP and I can say that the picture (of any kind) is another world. It's deep, vibrant, you can almost feel the dew on the leaves.
    And the image does not change its colours when you move your had; with 24" this is of outmost importance.

monkeytennis likes this.
  9. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

The ISP panels are also bloody expensive. £400+ iirc. TN panels are the standard that you will find in most 23/24" screens below £300, and they do a good enough job. if you get a panel from a decent manufacturer - Dell, LG, Samsung etc - they will be fine. I've just got the Dell SP2309W. its a TN panel with a bit of backlight bleed, but it does the job well, and was within my budget, unlike an ISP panel.

If your using the display for films then a 16:9 ratio is good, but for gaming and everything else you use a computer for, the older 16:10 is better - i just got a 16:9 and am regretting it a bit, as it has the same vertical space as the 19" i upgraded from :duh:

If you can wait for graphics then it would be wise to check the price drops after the new ATI cards are released. if you can't wait (i understand the temptation of having half a computer...) then the HD4890 or the GTX275 are good choices.

10. monkeytennis

Sh*t the bed! I didn't think they would cost that much! I may just stick with the IIlyama for now and if it is that poor, I will look again. I don't mind paying around £200-250, but £450? Not yet. I'm sure it is an excellent picture but I will suffer for now. Thanks anyway.

11. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Also, will DX11 cards play DX10/10.1 games as well as or better than DX10/10.1 cards?

The DX11 approach has many other functions; it adds a partner to the Intel processor-namely the graphic card. This means, that your PC will render better; certain applications, not all.

DX11 is probably the last evolution step; the last, since the GPU computing is coming with great spead. Future standards are not going to be of greater significance.
    For the games DX11 means a leap ahead; a very important one; the speed of older titles depends also from the driver, so it's not possible to make a prediction.

12. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I had to downgrade from a 1920 x 1200 Samsung screen that was awsome to a 1920 x 1080 BenQ and whilst the samsung was clearly superior i really don't think it justified the extra cost for me.
    I am colour blind though so perhaps i'm seeing less eye candy lol.

@ the DX11 thing, it's backwards compatible with DX10 cards so i don't see there being any problems.

13. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Would a GPU not have to work harder for the 1200 rather than 1080?

Yes; more pixels, better picture, more work, more power needed to draw the picture in question.

14. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

:naughty: :naughty: :thumb: :D

Good one!

15. monkeytennis

Thanks guys. I'm going to go off and have a good look at screens and cards now. I may get the 4890 for now and then chuck it in my sons PC when I like the look of the new ones!:D

16. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

If you deemed worthy spending 500 sterling pounds on a coarse processor and a plate of a motherboard, which you don't see; not to mention the graphic 5870x2 for 600dollars, you must find you eyes worthy of an IPS display!!
    You are going to stare at it for hundreds of hours!!

17. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Good dady; wait for the end of the week (presentation of the new generation, than go for it :thumb: )

Off to bed!!! It's late. Bye.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2009