1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help me please

Discussion in 'General' started by AndyDEL, 8 Sep 2009.

1. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

Right... Situation..

On Friday my wifes sister rings came up to visit, mainly due to having a pretty rough time of it recently.. Pregnancy, cockend of a boyfriend, miscarriage, crappy small town job etc etc.. She’s a bit of a loser to be honest, but has big boobs so i tolerate her.

Unknown to me while i was trying to drink myself under the table with my friends, she was discussing with my wife the possibility of her moving up to Burton Upon Trent (She lives in North Wales with their parents) and looking for work up here.. More opportunities, fresh start, blah blah blah.

I’m pretty against it, mainly due to the fact that we’ve lived off my salary for around a year. We moved for my job and my wife was pregnant so was almost impossible to find work, although thankfully now the little one is almost 4 months she should get a job soon.

Anyway i’ve told her sister to go home this weekend, think about what she wants to do. Then we’ll see what benefits she’s entitled to. Because if she doesn’t get much, i’m not putting her up until the wife is working or she finds a job before she moves.

Anyone know what sort of benefit she could receive, she’s 22.. So i’m guessing only £80 every 2 weeks for job seekers?

I’ve looked a bit online, looks like she can’t get LHA or anything even if we setup an agreement for her to rent one of our rooms.

I did the calculator on entitled2... That comes out at £50 a week... Only entitled to JSA.

It’s not much is it.. Must be so many people in this situation, surely the government should give you more..

Last edited: 8 Sep 2009
  2. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Epic win!

On a serious note, as far as I'm aware (my GF was on job seekers for a bit, damn recession, rabble rabble rabble) you're right, it is just £40 per week. Even though at the time she was paying rent of £150 a month to her parents, there was no allowance for that.

I don't understand how all the chavs manage to wangle it and live comfortably, I think you have to have kids or fake a disability :sigh:

3. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Why does she need benefits? Tell her to get a bloody job.

There is no way in hell, family or not, that I would let her in my house if I was in your position. You've supported your wife, and now have to support a child - why should you support someone else as well? It's your house mate, even if she is well stacked.

4. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

I know what you're saying.. And i agree..

But marriage is give and take and if you ever marry a women with a sister, you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.. They're very close.

She needs benefits as i'm not paying for her to live here until she finds a job, i'm fine losing a bit of our freedom round the house to please my wife and do something for her sister.. But i’m willing to lose any income from it..

She moves in.. Gas, Electricity, Food / Household Shopping. Etc.. Goes up.. So i need to balance that with any benefit she can get.. Also from putting up my sister when i was in university, i know for a fact those little “Can i borrow £2 for something from the shop..” can mount up to allot.

Aye Shruriken – It’s insane.. It’s almost like, if you’re young and living with parents or a family member.. Soon as you get made redundant, the government at penalizing the people putting a roof over their head. They should at least get some contributory housing benefit.. £150 a month.. That way she gets £350-400 a month, which is still nowhere near enough to live on.. But enough to feed her and contribute to the expense of putting her up.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Government give people enough at it is - no need for an increase. What this girl needs...is a job. End of story. There is work around in the right parts of the country, one just has to be willing to take a step down and stuff to get the work, that's all.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yep, the challenge is to have as many kids as you can then attempt to feed and clothe them for as little as physically possible. The person with the most cash left over after their benefits then buys enough crack for the rest of the council estate.

A friend once told me that this country would be overrun with chavs before long, little did he realise that the entire basis of their existance would not be possible if there weren't people working and paying taxes for them to suckle off of.

Chavs: the eternal bottom feeders of the civilised world, destined to live on the bottom rung of society for as long as is humanly possible.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Why should a government pay for someone's living expenses if he/she is capable of working?

8. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

You're both tarring everyone with the same brush, while there are a lot of lazy ****ers who just mooch off job seekers indefinitely, there are a lot of people who have lost their jobs and are doing all they can to get another one.

The fact is, right now, in some area of the country there are simply more unemployed people than there are jobs, especially for people with out much in the way of qualifications.

North Devon where I live is one of the worst for this. Being such a tourist area, the whole reigon pretty much shuts down over the winter, non-seasonal jobs have always been had to come by, these days they are rarer than rocking horse poo.

Basically, not everyone on job seekers is a lazy, mooching, chav. But because of those ****ers, the ones genuinely looking for jobs aren't getting enough to live. :wallbash:

9. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

Because she has worked... Paid tax’s...

So when someone wants to make a positive move, to become a more productive member of society by moving to a location with more opportunities to further enrich their lives.. You’d think they’d be somewhat supported..

I’m not talking completely supported.. But £50 a week is absolutely ridicules.

Take away the situation of her wanting to move, as it’s almost inconsequential. If she was made redundant tomorrow from her job in North Wales, she’d receive £50 a week. So her parents (Already on a low income) would receive sod all compared to the rent contribute she used to pay. Now flip the situation where she is renting a room in a house, where she isn’t related to the landlord or any other people living there.. She’ll receive £80-90 LHA a week on top of that £50 a week..

How is that fair.. Although i appreciate people may try to exploit it, it wouldn’t be hard to assess.

Now she is fully intending to find work up here.. But there is no guarantee when she will find it.. 1 month.. 3 months.. etc..

So for the time she hasn’t got a job.. I lose money.. The time between starting a job and getting her first pay cheque.. I lose money..

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I have to agree with you here however I have recently been made redundant. I have tried and tried and tried to get a job, applying all over the place again and again and again. Where I am there just clearly isnt work! All of the polish people are going home after milking the area dry and those jobs now dont exist either!

All you can do is go to the job centre and sign on! It is the most soul breaking experience of my life! Going in and signing on with the towns low life scum and being made to feel not even an inch tall! The folk that work there all need shooting and I have written numerous complaints about how they treat people. I got so annoyed with one stuck up cow that I sat there after she had clearly made herself to be superior to me with varying comments about "the small minority bleeding the government for all it has" blah blah blah... HELLO! I've paid into that since I started work! If I am entitled to it I shall have it!

Anyway I soon knocked her off of her high horse when I spoke down to her about how I have qualifications, I have prospects, I have the potential to go somewhere because I believe I can and that I have the qualifications and attitude to do so where as (and she didnt like this bit) shes stuck dealing with the "small minority" in a dead end, low paid job that she clearly doesnt like and wont get anywhere with.

After this little out burst I left (as you do) with my head held high even though after her comments I felt like dragging it across the floor! Upon getting to the door I had a manager approach me and take me to one side. Brilliant I thought (sarcasm)! He politely asked me to refrain from the little out bursts but also said "I liked that, made my day! Its about time someone has drawn the line you just did, maybe she will now show a little more respect to those who are here for the right reasons and not just to get what they can and leave"

With this I left rather quite smug... Surely though if this manager has said this to me that he must have said it to her?? If not, what kind of manager is he and who the hell appointed these monkeys to deal with trogs that are heart set on bleeding the country for all its worth.

Andy

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

My best advice is: don't let her quit her current job, and don't let her move until she has secured a new position.

Sure enough, put her up overnight when coming for an interview, or indeed have her try and arrange a few in a week and take a week off work.

But don't let her quit, and don't let her move in without a job starting!

Given half a chance the things you dislike about her may turn around or stop being a problem, but failing any of the above, get yourself some ear plugs, and rely on your other senses :naughty:

12. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

Yeah i agree.

I’ve told her to go home at the weekend for a week.. Sort out the friction with her parents and come to the decision then. Also while she’s doing that organize a bulk of interviews over a space of a week, then come up for those.

I don’t think i’ll ever get to like living with my wifes sister. I’m doing it purely for my wife, who wants to help her sister and would probably enjoy the company.

13. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I can understand that completely having being made redundant at the beginning of summer. I've just started a new job a couple of weeks ago but have had to go back to a lower level than I was and am now earning a whole lot less. It was pretty soul destroying getting turned down for jobs that I could do standing on my head.

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

There are SO many people in the same boat right now - there's nothing special about this person. Life is what you make of it mate - if you are willing to go far enough and try hard enough, even in this "climate", one can do whatever one friggin well wants. The reason jobseekers allowance is as low as it is, is to make sure there is a bloody incentive at least, to go and get a job. If it were any more, more people would just sit and find ways to live on it.

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

surely she can get housing benefits too? i think thats around £60.00. if she was getting that she could pay you keep. seriously though: two women, one house. not ideal. they'll synchronise you know