1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is just so stupid, going to prison for keeping a fishing knife in car

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Twellmann, 9 Sep 2009.

1. Twellmann

Twellmann Carnivorous Homunculus

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Now that is bloody daft.....

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You could get 2 years for that here.

It's totally stupid imo. My girlfriend (Finnish) was bewildered when I told her she should stop carrying her putty knife in her pencil case, and that she should basically never carry her hunting knife with her. Pretty much all Finns receive a hunting knife as a coming-of-age present, and she just automatically took it out on field courses and any time she thought it might be useful. Over there, you carry a knife if you might need a knife.

Over here, you can only really risk carrying one if, not only do you know for certain you will need it, but also if you know for certain that if stopped by a police officer, they will believe and understand your reason for carrying a knife.

It's ********!

4. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Or some such.

If someone wants to hurt you, he'll find a way, regardless of what weapons happen to be illegal. What's next on the banned list? Hammers? lengths of pipe? hands?

People need to start working on the causes of violence, not the symptoms.

5. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

It's pretty ridiculous. I used to work in the great outdoors and got into the habit of always carrying my swiss army knife. I might not now.

6. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Funny. My branch manager is always carrying his 3 inch knife in his pocket and we're at a credit union. Nobody cares.

7. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

What about the poor Sikhs? This knife crime witch hunt must be a right pain in the arse for them.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Less for than anyone who actually needs to carry a knife for use.

9. Combinho

I'm coming from a very urban/London-centric view. I doubt that there are many people who need to carry a knife with them in a city.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Victronix on my keys in my bag everyday to central london. I use it in work everyday opening boxes.

11. Combinho

Is that really need.Scissors? They worked fine for opening boxes at work for me. :thumb:

12. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Multitool, which has a blade on it. Useful for when building pcs, opening different cases, opening boxes etc.

It's a useful thing to have.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Pretty much anyone who works in IT. Pretty much anyone in construction. Pretty much anyone in any job where a basic all purpose tool is required.

Scissors are bulky. You can carry a knife on your belt or in your pocket and have it with you all the time. No-one wants to do that with scissors. Personally I tend to keep my "doing stuff" knife beside my computer most of the time. It's just a basic 4 or 5" serrated knife. I use it for quite a few things inside my computer, for cutting anything in the room I need to cut, and occasionally in 1st year, for food. Just a general purpose knife.

It's incredibly useful to have a general purpose knife accessible at all times, and I lament the fact that our government is so authoritarian as to deny us the right to carry knives.

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

Wow I got some serious deja vu reading the last few posts in this thread. NB: That was not a social comment on the decline of common sense and the quality of the legal system of any country. I really did get deja vu :p

I am not sure where I stand on these sorts of law.

On one hand, the law is the law and if a law is made with too many loopholes and conditions to allow normal people to lawfully carry knives then the same loopholes and conditions can be exploited by criminals.

On the other hand the police and courts need to have a freedom to apply a certain degree of common sense to a situation.

15. Combinho

For a start, I carried scissors on my pocket at all times. They were small medical scissors, and had a blade that worked very well for opening boxes, doing odd jobs etc. Also, people can keep said tools at work. Anyway, I don't know why I'm arguing this, as your points are all valid. I guess that's the internet, it sucks you into having pointless arguments, where you just end up playing Devil's Advocate for no apparent reason. C'est la vie.

16. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Same here, I always keep a victorinox in the mp3 pouch in my bag. Although there seems to be this crazy "he's carrying a knife, he must be a serial rapist murderer" attitude atm with the blade being less than 3 inches and its non locking doesnt that mean the worst that will happen is it'll be confiscated? Its hard to keep up with all these laws with whats ok and whats not :s

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Europe is too liberal..

I'm guessing concealed firearms are also a no-no. :p

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I carry a knife with me. 24/7. You really don't want to walk around defenceless over here. Especially not on public transportation. It gets nasty. Really nasty. I've been attacked quite a few times and so have some of my friends.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Even if you have something that looks like a gun to the police, you get shot.

Folding knife is less size, and anyway, it's a choice, like Tea of Coffee.

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

The amazing thing is that we have all these laws, yet ever time I fly I have at least one knife on me. they never look in your wallet...
    Except when I had to goto the court house. that guy was good with an x-ray machine.