1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Bit-Tech Digital 3D Render Gallery

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scooby, 6 May 2009.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Does anyone know how to make Sketchup make actual circles and not just polygons with a largish number of sides? I only ask because I'm making a backplate and the fan holes look really rubbish.

2. Metric

Metric has a bazooka

Sketchup doesn't support actual ciclres/splines, but you can adjust the number of sides (i.e. 36) Sketchup uses to represent circles. To do this, just type in "#s" when you create a circle, where # is the number of sides :)

Cheapskate likes this.
  3. stuartwood89

That's good to know, thanks!

Here's something I've been working on. It's the backplate/motherboard tray for a M-ITX based gaming rig I've been planning for a few weeks. On the back there are two 3.5 inch HDD mounts, the idea of which I stole from that ASUS case that was featured a week or two ago.

[​IMG]

Modelled in SU, rendered in Kerkythea, MLT 20 or so passes.

4. cronicash

cronicash What's a Dremel?

I find it nice how kerkythea has bevel mapping where you can make segments blend, whereas the only thing i see on maxwell is "smoothing" and "smoothing angle", are these parameters meant to smooth a linear angle or just surface vertex'es? Cause it doesn't seem to make any difference?

This was with 100+ segments on sketchup. I find that some arcs and bevels come out perfectly round, its only closed circles that it seems to keep segmented, like you say.

[​IMG]

Oh well, i hope solidworks isint too much different from inventor or 3ds. Have to give it a go. ( gave the camera heaps of burn and gamma to see the segmented lines better)

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A wee bit too much gamma. But you do make your point.

6. Metric

Metric has a bazooka

I'm not sure what you mean by "smoothing" and "smoothing angle" for Maxwell, could you post a screenshot or something :confused:? I'm familiar with the smoothing and smoothing angle feature in Kerkythea, but I've never seen those options in Maxwell since Maxwell Render is just a raytracer while Kerkythea is an all-in-one software package (Studio + render engine).

Regarding Solidworks, it's the competitor to Inventor since they are both CAD, solid-based modelers. I'd say Solidworks shares many features with Inventor and Sketchup. So if you worked with either of those, Solidworks should be a very smooth transition.

7. cronicash

Cheers for that metric. yeah hope its a good move like ya say. Yeah the smoothing is in the Maxwell studio. I use the studio to apply the materials as i havnt yet found or looked for a plugin to apply the maxwell materials in sketchup. I find the studio great for material editing and heaps of other bits. This maxwell looks is very much alike indigo imo. I doubt there's any relation though..

8. Metric

Metric has a bazooka

:naughty:

White POM and nickel plating:

[​IMG]

cronicash: NextLimit has a plugin for Sketchup, but I think their downloads page is down right now, since I'm getting an empty page when I view it.

Javerh likes this.
  9. boogerlad

boogerlad What's a Dremel?

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Maxwell, Indigo and Fryrender are all unbiased based render engines. They calculate raw light spectra interactions on the image. They differ from biased render engines like MentalRay, Vray, etc in that the light calculations are not avergaed or interpolated-this results in a much greater render time, but also a physically correct result.

11. cronicash

Thanks for that, i was kinda on about the GUI. So is anyone here going to be beta testing thea?

12. bocian

bocian New

Standard Sketchup & KT

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Sep 2009
  13. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

hey bochia, effin nice model ;)

test render i did for a new case design ill make:

[​IMG]

3dsmax + maxwell, sl of 20

btw, which foot design use like better ??

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I like the spikey feet better-makes the case look insectoid, which is pretty cool.

15. stuartwood89

+1 on spikey feet, that look sweet!

16. bocian

bocian New

From the series, the model in 5 minutes, render in 25

[​IMG]

Joey9801 likes this.
  17. stuartwood89

Wow, bocian is rolling out some amazing renders lately! I think someone needs to give me a few pointers on KT...

18. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

I was leaning towards the spikes aswell :) makes me wonder how to make them... maybe ill have to ask one of the local metal shops..

19. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Wow that ram looks great man! how are you getting those images? Are you just taking pics and putting them on there?

20. bocian

bocian New

If anyone is interested can download the model from the gallery: link