1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin Media National ADSL gone to sh*t?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Thermal5, 6 Sep 2009.

1. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else on Virgin National ADSl have experienced a massive drop in download speeds PERMANENTLY within the last 2-3 days, I used to download on Torrents 100% LEGAL Linux Distros in ISO format, but now something very strange has happened with Virgin Media, they seem to have permanently limited torrent speeds to 66 KBPS MAX download speed.

Nothing has changed at my end, all settings are the same, I'm using the same program for downloading which is UTorrent, same port, same everything but it appears even though I have forwarded the port in my Netgear router DG834G and had no problem, Virgin Media HAVE blocked every single port that torrents try to use even as far into the 60'000 range! (I stopped after that!) I changed the port to something else made sure it was forwarded in the router setup, everything (as in every website I've used to test the ports I opened) is reporting any port I use as CLOSED which is impossible, has anyone else on Virgin Media National (down the phone line) had this problem the last few days? I ask because even after reinstalling windows I still have the exact same problem (caused by Virgin Media) I'm certain of that.

I know all about traffic shaping/traffic management and all that b*llocks (excuse my french, but they've p*ssed me off) but I can't download large ISO's of Linux at anytime of day or night anymore and they constantly fob me off and don't answer questions in the E-Mail's sent to them.

Can I cancel my contract for sub standard service? As I'm not getting what I pay for, and I want to move to another ISP, I've been with Virgin since January 2008 and had them move my service over to my new address (which they said I would have to sign up for another 12 month contract because of the move) not sure I agree with that and nothing came through the post for me to "sign" so where do I stand?

I look forward to any and all replies regarding this matter.

Thank you

P.S) I can download at normal (FAST) speeds from most other websites

Last edited: 7 Sep 2009
  2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

66 is good. TalkTalk have limited my torrent traffic to 0.1kbps. Whereas I can usually download at 250kbps, or whatever the unit is (kB, its so confusing with internet cause its weird, :D )

3. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

66kbps is good compared to 0.1 kbps but 66kbps isn't good compared to me downloading at over 700kbps after midnight, but now I can't even do that?, I mean traffic shaping compared to traffic manipulating is too different things, it's pathetic.

Haven't a clue what's going on?

Hopefully someone else has some idea.

Thanks for the reply

P.S) Considering I didn't sign anything when I transferred my internet with Virgin Media to this address and I have been with them for more than 20 months now and that they are providing sub standard service, how do I go about cancelling my contract (the one i didn't sign) lol

Last edited: 6 Sep 2009
  4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I'm having serious toubles with Virgin Media as well, it just won't load video's well at all.

5. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Are you on the ADSL service Pieface?

6. Pieface

Pieface Modder

No, but I'm having bad trouble with Virgin.

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

got a friend whos had issues for over a month now.

hes on ADSL. about 50yds from exchange and gets 0.6-1.3mb download.

he pays for 8mb. its so riddiculous peak times produces some big lag in games as well.

8. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Problem is if I download a large Linux ISO at peak times I expect to be Traffic managed per the terms and conditions but now I can't download at a fast speed at all times not even after the traffic managemant time has been and gone, all I get now is super slow speeds even in the early hours and that's never happened before.

And why all my ports would suddenly be closed when nothing has changed is beyond me, Virgin have definitely been f*cking about at there end!

Last edited: 6 Sep 2009
  9. kaujazz

kaujazz What's a Dremel?

i am 20yds from exchange and pay for 8mb and i get
    [​IMG]

10. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Mad thing is I can download FAST from websites and get 5.79 mb/s on the speedtest website BUT get super slow/super throttled 24/7 when downloading LEGAL torrents that are big in size.

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Just ring them and ask for a MAC code as you're leaving. Tell them the rubbish download speed is why.

As for a new provider, I'd recommend Plus.net - they offer a guaranteed non-traffic shaped package, which I'm on. I get my full line-limited 4mbps day and night, and their service is reliable. I've contacted support previously and they've been very knowledgeable and prompt, and would recommend them to anyone.

EDIT: In fact, I can refer ppl, think it saves you a bit of dosh on your first month or something, PM me if interested and I'll check out the details, and find out what you get for it.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Really? I thought plusnet was the daddy of traffic shaping?

13. Zoon

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear in what I said.

I am traffic shaped ... but I'm prioritised not de-prioritised.

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/pro.shtml

I never get ANY slow down or choke. Everything I run goes full pelt. Yeah its £20 a month and yeah only 15gb is included, however if you download between midnight and 8am they don't count it towards your 15gb, and you seriously get what you pay for, and I've never had a better ISP!!

14. Mickenoss

Mickenoss What's a Dremel?

Mines okay, 250kbps as always.

I did notice though that they love to throttle you if you use your internet for more than an hour of two a day. I also noticed that even when I'm being throttled to death my speedtest score is always good ...interesting :eyebrow:

15. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Hi Zoon,

Thanks for the reply, funny thing is I'm thinking of going with Plusnet, the package listed here http://www.plus.net/residential/homepage_plusnet_unlimited.html?height=460&width=600

I've sent you a PM if you want to recommend me? See what happens, thanks again.

16. Zoon

Cool, replied :D

If you get more than 5mb out of your linfe, you might find it worthwhile signing up for their ADSL2+ trial, as you'll get a couple more and your upload will be as high as 1.5mb :thumb:

I'm on the waiting list for it.

17. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Man if you get a low speed rate at peak hours that means they throttle your INTERNET and bandwidth usage. Special cases they throttle the torrent traffic as you will not be able to download anything from torrent between specific hours but you will be able to surf and download something else, small files from any website. And about unlimited traffic is rubbish because all cap the traffic.

18. sunny304

sunny304 What's a Dremel?

virgin have adsl ? i thought their entire network was cable :cool:

my connection for the first time in about 3 years has been all over the place
    although as we speak 50mb is being installed :)
    so maybe they are changing over some pipes or something

19. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Hey Zoon,

I’m on the same package as you and was possibly the 1st customer in the area to get the ‘national’ (i.e. non-cabled) service.
    Started off well for the first 2 weeks but then my pings have been high and I’ve had trouble with legal torrents.

I’m trying to update Company of Heroes via the Relic downloaded which uses torrents. These are getting completely blocked and it’s frustrating that I can’t download something legally.

Speedtest is something good high speeds so I know it’s specifically the torrents being blocked.

If you do have any luck prior to switching to another provider, please let me know :D

20. Zoon

NTL and Telewest separately had cable before the merger/rebrand. NTL and Telewest were bought by the same company, who then bought Virgin ADSL and Virgin Mobile. The whole lot was rebranded so they could offer a quad-play (eg tv, internet, mobile phone, and land line) both on-net (eg on cable) and off-net (eg via Virgin ADSL and a BT phone line). These unfortunate peeps are stuck with Virgin ADSL as it used to be known. It was not good before the buy out. The stories I've heard since show its not better since.
    I'm not the OP mate :)