1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pirated Batman PC contains deliberate glitch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I saw that glitch mentioned on a few forums. And oh look there is a fix already for it.

A good idea putting in a glitch to make pirated versions unplayable, however people always find a way around it. As long as it doesn't affect legitimate players like so many other forms of "copy protection" I'd say it's a move in the right direction.

Shame it doesn't do a damn thing and can be fixed within minutes....

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I wonder how long it'll take to get that ironed out. Nice try though, Eidos deserves credit.

4. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Much better than the draconian online-DRM EA is running, Good job Eidos!

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The problem with doing things like that is they'll be reports flying all over the place about the game's unplayable and doesn't work, and it'll get a reputation for being glitchy, even though it's deliberate.

Hopefully that won't happen though.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I swear adobe does the same thing with photoshop... When I was a poor student and couldn't afford to pay, it used to spawn hundreds of help windows at random :p

pimonserry likes this.
  7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

not a bad idea, glitches however can be fixed, personally id release the game missing some key levels as well as the ending. cant fix missing content :thumb:

8. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

You’ve either got to be really dumb or have huge balls to query why a product is not working on the official boards for a game that hasn't been released yet and that you have pirated. It just strikes me as someone calling the Dixon’s help line and saying "Hello this TV I stole from you yesterday seems to have fuzzy reception will you come and fix it or exchange it for me." It's crossing one moral line, which I hate, in pirating the game and another entirely to demand customer support for it as well.

9. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Awesome idea! Bet the OP on the Eidos forums is a little red faced now! :)

10. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

A big :clap: for Eidos.

Would LOVE to see the day they put something in a game that wiped the hard drive or something of those using a pirated copy.

Yeah I know it will never happen. However it is Friday, so I can muse a bit :D

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

If that happens, then all those people will be very ashamed at having a cracked version of the game.
    how can someone be so stupid as to contact the Devs of a game you have copied/cracked ?

Its like complaining to Microsoft that you can't get updates from their site with a stolen copy of Windows....

Anyway, this is the best method of DRM. Just shaft them somewhere in the game, but not just one place, many.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Pro tip bat-fans - From what I understand this isn't the only anti-piracy measure in Arkham Asylum, there are others scattered throughout the game, like invisible walls and unremovable barriers to the next game areas. Sure these too will eventually be patched, but it all means hassle for the Pirates, and if it's more hassle to pirate than buy a game, guess what more people are liable to do!?

13. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

I once had an Amiga game (can't remember name now) that if you tried to copy the manufacturer disks, it would format them. That really sucked because I had borrowed the game off my school mate who was bigger than me :) I cunningly superglued the metal slider on the floppy in the hope he wouldn't notice. Unfortunately for me, he did.

14. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

one thing I've never understood, if the pirates are this good at cracking the game code and compliling fixes etc for the glitches why don't the game developers actually hire the best of them as beta testers/glitch fixer-uppers

though going back to the guy that posted for advice about a game thats not even out yet only one thing to say he is an idiot.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

hacking groups like to compete amongst themselves as to who can release the biggest titles first, remember reputation means everything to these groups. hiring them would only give them access to the gold master quicker.

16. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Surely as soon as the game's released, there will be a fully-working cracked version for all and sundry to download?

17. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Hardly a new idea, lots of codemasters games have been employing this technique for years, just take a look at operation flashpoint for a good example, and a few EA games tried it in the last 18 months ago but since none of those guys actually know what they are doing there deliberate bugs were patched out in the crack.

18. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

The only things i buy are things i can try.
    IMO If a game doesnt provide a playbale demo on or before release day, they deserve to get pirated.
    Who in thier right mind is gonna pay up front for something they cant see working.
    It pisses me off when a software house prematurely releases something that hasn't been tested properly. (no name dropping here..chernarus)
    For all we know Batman DA's so called anti-pirate tactics could be a crafty cover up for shoddy beta testing and faults in the game. These days you just never know.

If there is a decent demo (showing off the highlights of gameplay), i'll play it and if the game is good I'll buy it.

19. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Last edited: 11 Sep 2009
  20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Except there's a Demo for Batman: Arkham Asylum, and while not very long, gives you a full taste of the game, including working batglide! Get the demo on steam.

Tags: Add Tags