1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Sept 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Sep 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Freemanator

Freemanator What's a Dremel?

Thanks for getting this up.
    A question that I hope is ok to put here. How do the different power BeQuiet DarkPower PSUs compare to the 650W? Is it just that you haven't tested them, or are the others not so great?
    Thanks

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've tested the 850W and CustomPC has tested the 1000W.

4. Deadpool46

Deadpool46 What's a Dremel?

FYI, unless they've changed their packaging I wouldn't recommend the Sparkle GTX 275. I bought a pair of them from overclockers and they came through pretty much loose in the retail box (i.e. none of the foam or tight cardboard packaging you normally get) and the retaining brackets on both cards were bent.

I got a pair of the overclocked Gigabyte cards instead but it turns out these have issues with display signals on certain monitors so I guessed I'm just cursed.

5. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

good review, some nice recommendations. The layout is getting better (or maybe going back to the old format) and I appreciate the opinions stated in the text.

Still missing a HTPC (but maybe this market is dying anyway as more cable companies go to on-demand tv?) section, and the ever lasting 'where's the monitor' section?

6. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

Yeah, agreed, and you finally got rid of that "affiliation with CCL" rubbish. Now we just get the cheapest prices, from wherever.

Good Stuff.

7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Another great hardware guide!
    I'm currently looking at building my first computer and looking at the gaming workhorse as a guide to budget. It seems the best thing to do at the moment (for me at least) is to hang around for the new Dx11cards to appear. I'm pretty much sold on an i7 920 so my question is do you think there'll be any changes in pricing between now and the new graphics cards? i.e. should I buy some other stuff not dependent on graphics now (like the i7)?
    Cheers

8. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

Hi

Your UK Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus link, links to the OCZ ModXStream Pro on Newwegg.

9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I don't know whether to follow bit techs guide or custom pc's. In custom pc they recommend the corsair hx850 and it's only about £127. I know everyone has their own opinons but bit tech recommend one thing and custom pc recommend another.

10. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

Since when is it illegal to rip blu ray films?? I suppose I'm breaking the law when I rip my mums CDs to put on her ipod now :mad:

You might as well download HD films after buying the blu ray disk. It's a lot easier to play the film and you will save some money on the blu ray drive and new hardware for HDCP compliance.

11. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Buy the Core i7-920 now! We have no idea when Intel will pull it from retail, but judging by the prices of LGA1156 Core i7, it could be any minute...

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The US price of the gaming workhorse isn't in dollars, and I'm surprised that you couldn't squeeze a 4890 into the US budget.. They're going for about $200ish on newegg.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Ripjaw looks to be really good, but you keep recommending cas9 kits, does timing not matter in i5 systems? which gives more performance in Nehalem, tight timing or higher memory speed?

fantastic recommendations. i can't help but wonder what would be gaming rig if DDR3 dual channel wasn't so expensive, and p55 motherboards are 20% cheaper.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

CDs don't have bespoke copy protection, Blu-rays do.

Some BD disks come with a digital copy I've been told however I don't know the ins and outs of that. I expect it's DRMd to high heaven too.

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i'd suggest you cant go wrong with either, you're best reading up on them and making your own mind up.

nice guide once again, i find it interesting that intel have mid and high range covered with the new hardware now. i wonder if i3 will sew up the low end?

16. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I too have been thinking about getting the 920 (the OEM is only £194.99 on Ebuyer) but I was planning on upgrading for my birthday in October. Will that be too late do you think?

17. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Was thinking about getting a i7 920, but how futureproof is the socket what with the newer i5 being different?

18. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the guides.

Why not recommend the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 instead of the F1? They can be had for the same price and have better performance.

19. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Also will you guys be reviewing the 120GB OCZ Agility 2.5” SSD (64MB Cache Up to 230MB/s Read & 135MB/s Write) ?

According to other reviews it performs on a par (sometimes better on some tests) with the OCZ Vertex and is £45 cheaper! (and is also £25 cheaper than the Crucial you recommend but I haven't read any reviews or seen benchmarks to compare that to the OCZ Agility.)

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you in the UK? You can buy Issue 74 of CustomPC in the next week or so - there's a full review.

We havent reviewed it so we cannot recommend it yet - we're still waiting for a drive from them :)

Tags: Add Tags