1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

When I was riding Harleys as a lifestyle with the Hell's Angels we had some members that rode "rat bikes". Google it. POS looking motorcycle that would tear your eyes out of their sockets performancewise. Strokers, NOS, all hidden. The point is not missed. The visuals impression is the first thing people see. The engineering and the sense of uniqueness is yours.

Bikes, cars, motorcycles, same stuff - have fun - life is too short to be middle of the road.
    What was the old song "Do What You Like"

john

2. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

rat bikes and striped down simplicity are my favorite styles of bikes ever. to bad my dad likes the baggers.

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I had yellow mag's on my GT Dyno BMX!! Looked amazing with the chrome then I swapped it for a 20Gb HDD.

4. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I've been through a few bikes in my time. Most were stolen from me though.
    I had:

- Apollo Excel :D
    - Diamondback Peak
    - GT Pro Series 24
    - UMF Hardy 2
    - Diamondback Groove (my current bike)

The middle three were stolen from me :(

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Easy to say this is the bike section of a tech forum. On the tech section of the bike forum it would be the other way round.

6. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I didn't want to hear\see that Jamie :p, my mate showed me his new Dialled BMX frame and it looks very tidy (especially for the price). I've been thinking about replacing my Cowan frame with a nice steel freeride\playbike frame for few months now and I can't resist it anymore :worried:

The shortlist is:

Cotic - BFE
    Dialled Bikes - Alpine
    NS Bikes - Surge

The BFE was the first choice a few months back but it's out of stock now. I can get a very good price on the Surge but it's a quite a bit heavier (lacks Reynolds front end) and it would be good to do my bit and support a British brand... So I'm leaning towards the Alpine at the moment (looks nice in purple too!), gonna ring them today and see if I can get a good deal.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You will be supporting a good cause choosing Dialled, the owner, Mike is a nice guy and does a lot of good for UK BMX. I've ridden downhill with a guy on an Alpine and he wasn't hanging about :) There isn't much between the Holeshot and the Alpine other than the length of the seat tube.

I think they've got a mk2 Alpine coming out in the next month so get on the phone and see what's what. :thumb:

I don't mind meeting you in Swinley one weekend if you want to have a spin on the 'shot.

[​IMG]

8. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

my fixie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

god i love this bike but i would hate to ride it 20+ miles its fun for trips to the store, bar, friends house, around the lake, you know things like that

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

that seat looks godly uncomfortable. I've never ridden a fixed gear bike, always wanted to tho.

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

My winter machine is back!
    Ok she's been back for about two weeks now but I forgot to take pictures.
    Despite a lifetime of neglect and being taken out by a car she rides like a champ, is very comfortable and considering the shitty components shifts and brakes excellently.

[​IMG]

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Cool. Yer i've only heard good things about them and it's all reasonably priced for what you get, and it's supporting a British business :).

I went up Swinley for the first time last week, I was with my girlfriend though (who doesn't normally ride bikes) so it was just a casual slow ride. I really need to get up there and check out the proper trails, I've not done any proper riding this year so i'm rusty as hell on a bike :(. I'm trying to get my mates out there some time in the next couple of weeks. Are you ever up there in the week earlier in the day?

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've finally replaced my pooey standard pedals with some Shimano clip-ons, and got the drop-bars re-taped after my meeting with the black stuff after a few weeks of having the bike...

My shoes are FIANLLY coming in next week, getting size 50's is a right pain in bee-hind.

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Single biggest upgrade you can make to a road bike is pedals.

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Are you some kind of giant?

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Some kind...

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

[​IMG]

17. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Due to work I can only make it to Swinley at the weekends. :wallbash:

18. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

My GF lives quite near to Swinley so when i'm at hers there's no problem getting there, I'm just a bit dubious about taking my bike on the train (I should be driving by now really:blush:). If I can get her to come over on a friday and go to hers on the saturday that would work ok. Coming back on the train on a sunday is fine but taking the train on Friday evening after the rush hour period you then get the fun of the piss head period. I'll sort sumin out, been meaning to ride up there for ages.

I've been looking at the geometry on the Holeshot and Alpine, I think the Alpine is a bit better suited for what I want. As well as wanging about in a forest I want to be able to get a tall\long enough set up for the longer distances, when slammed the sadle heights will be the same as i'll need to run a fairly long post in the Holeshot (330mm looks too short), i'd also prefer running 140mm+ on the forks (got Pikes at the mo).

19. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

its so much better than the old one

[​IMG]

and as far as fixies go. there a blast thare is just something about them that makes them fun. but like i stated i would not want to do 20+ on one. your legs would be screaming

20. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Just found this, made me giggle...

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Sep 2009
    4.54billionyears likes this.