1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 5800 series UK pricing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zero_UK, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

"The Radeon HD 5870 1GB should sell for $399 at launch, while Radeon HD 5870 2GB should sell for $449. At the same time, the slower Radeon HD 5850 with 1GB memory will sell for $299. The launch date for all three cards is September 23rd in Europe whereas in the US we are talking about the 22nd."

Hey, with the ati release next week, just seeing if anyone can predict the UK pricing of these cards taking into consideration of the UK crappy market right now...

As they stand if they were to be straight from USA prices:

5850: OC GTX 275 pricing - £180.
    Probably going to be actually £220-240

5870 1gb: Average GTX 285 pricing: £250...
    probably be more so £300.

"2gb version: £300 price...
    most likely going to be £330.

5870x2 at £400-500 probably..

that sound about right or do you reckon prices maybe more towards exact exchange rates?

2. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

The big corp's don't refer to us as "treasure island" for nothing.

So I think it's almost certainly going to be like your guesses, they'll never do a straight $/£ translation :(

3. brodel

brodel Minimodder

Unfortunately. At £180 i'd buy a 5850, but over £200 and I'd rather pick up a 4870.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Pricing here early on will depend heavily on stock volumes. If ATi have a lot of the cards, we might be lucky and get away with the lower end of the prices you estimated. If not, we can look forward to price gouging of the highest order. If a 5870 1GB floats around the £250 mark, we'll be doing very well indeed. Hopefully it's been 1GB; ~£250, 2GB; ~£300. :D If the X2 variant comes before Christmas, we could be easily looking at £500-550.

Still, it also depends whether ATi want to carve as much money as possible out before nVidia respond with their new cards, or whether they want to launch prices low, so nVidia is left scrabbling to price-match as close as possible. Maximum money or maximum competitor pain? Decisions, decisions. ;)

edit: completely forgot about the 5870 "EyeFinity" variant with six mini-DisplayPort connectors. That one'll probably come in anything from £50-100 more than the 'vanilla' 5870.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2009
  5. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Woah at those prices i think ill stick with my current set (2 x 1gb 4870's) for a while

6. Paradigm Shifter

While the leaked slides I've seen on the net are AMD presentation slides, and so to be taken with a fair degree of scepticism as to their truthfulness, a 5870 will supposedly perform faster than a 4870X2... which is around the £250 mark ATM... when they're in stock, anyway. There are also some interesting figures here (at the bottom of the first page) which would indicate that dual 5870's is going to give Quad-SLI a bit of a kicking. It's PR data, though, so as I said, it's best believed with caution.

7. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

in some areas their meant to beat the GTX 295 apparntly... if so £250 doesn't seem as bad and apparntly very low power use.. i've heard it uses like 35w on idle? or something. Maybe some nice overclocking if need be..

At low prices ATI would really make more of a profit... as more people would be selling off their 4800's and 200's and buying the ATI cards with no competition at all they would get most or at least at mass volume if those benchmarks are correct. However if they stick around in the high price margin they risk losing valuable sales when the 300 series comes out as then Nvidia will be more competitive I reckon..

Last edited: 16 Sep 2009
  8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

but where are the games to use it? if i was desperately trying to run something i might consider it, but im not so at these prices until i want to run something in particular i'll leave it thanks!

9. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

to be fair, you have a GTX 280, so it wont apply as much to you :p its more preformance thats jaw dropping for me if those seen so far are fact.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

to be honest, with Batman releasing today, i don't want to buy an ATI card while im playing a physx game, and be forced to disable it.

also, with those price estimations, i can say for sure that they will drop once nVidia begins to sell their card, that's what good competition brings

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

fair point

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

All things considered...... Im going to wait for Nvidas offering, Id like to explain my reasoning.

1-Ati have no physics
    2-I want to hear what Nvidas offering is before I invest in the new gpu which is a 100% purchase come what may.
    3-Were is the killer game release in oct, if some thing like aliens vs preditor dx11 was released and available on launch day then that might override point 1 above.

I dont know even if I had unlimited money to spend, I want to see the whole market for dx11 cards, Im very impressed by ATI and no dought the new features are amazing but still the physics and also I feel more confident with nvidia drivers and game support.

I dont know maybe im talking out my rear mouth, what do you guys think, im very much looking forward to the new generation of gaming and gaming imersion, Arma 2 is doing it for me at the moment and thats dx9.0c.

Theres nothing like riding on a motor bike through a forest near an enemy base looking up through the trees and seeing the light then getting off, laying down and letting off some with a m107 :)

Is a lack of Physics such a big loss? how does that even relate in the new gen? so far every cloud of dust or fire which is this has been ok but not totally blown my socks off, maybe I have missed some thing.

That video of the crytex 2 enginee on the ATI 5800, thats the way I thought crysis 1 was going to look like, like a movie in the forests.

just my 2cents.

13. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

First pre-orders for 5870 in EU; 315 euro!! :D

14. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Firsts pre-orders for 5870; price 315 euro!!!

I posted it already in the morning, but "someone" has played a joke on me, making that all the posts under my usual "AntaresIII name" are visible only to me.

15. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

which website is this?

Thats looking at around £280..

16. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

There is something written about it on the Hexus website.

17. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

18. Paradigm Shifter

Hm.

I don't think it'll be £285.

I think it'll be £300, which they'll justify based on the 'weak pound'.

Having said that, at that price, I'll wait a while. I was hoping for closer to £250.

I think we can look forward to the 5870X2 (when it finally shows up) to be in the £500-550 region. Unless nVidia come out with something amazing with GT300 which causes a price war.

19. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

I agree on the 5870x2 version as the Real thing to expect. (even if the emanated heat will be cooking hob like).
    Especially two such in Crossfire :D
    Anyway, two 5870 should also prove great, as only two chips means less driver problems, and considering that Nvidia's GT300 can be expected to be way to pricey for a normal human till the 28nm production version.

20. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

definitely won't get 5870, too expensive for me, is there going to be a 5890 ?