1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Chrome 3 Stable released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Chrome 3? Didn't know about Chrome 2! I'll dl it asap.

As odd as it sounds, I use all three browsers on a daily basis. I'l liking Chrome more and more.

2. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

considering the speed on this by everyones comments im now goin to try chrome 3! i use the net everytime im on my machine so it would be nice to have a quick browser to go throo the pages at some pace! im gettin fed up pwith waiting for IE8 to go to a page!!!!!

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

second that
    i shifted to chrome 3 yesterday and am loving it
    firefox was takin up to 2minutes to launch on my work pc, no homepages or addins, just basic firfox opening to a blank page
    chrome is up and ready to go in seconds and i'm loving it
    they just need to sort out a addin manager and official addin website
    and also ability to set cachce size limit/location

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

It's a relative newcomer to the market and given that the GoogleOS is going to be heavily based upon it it does make sense to devote a little bit more time to it than Opera that has been kicking around for years and although is a decent browser, it has failed to make any significant inroads. Most Opera users I know almost fit into the fanboy category and refuse to beleive anything could ever be better than it, we all know the truth, Google is by far the best company ever and no matter what they make, it's always the best. ;)

5. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I like it because it runs likea dream under Windows7 on my netbook and it takes up very little real-estate for minimal scrolling.

Including add-ons is a slippery slope. Look at FireFox, although it was never the quickest thing to load up, IMO it's performace has degraded as they have added features and bulked it out. If Chrome starts to bloat then it won't be long before its memory footprint increases, it takes longer to start up, and it loses one of the main advantages it has over other browsers.

I view the browser space as follows:
    Chrome- fast, lightweight, basic web browser. No bells and whistles but does what it does well.

Firefox- Fully featured, lots of add-ons, but as a result slower to load and required more system resources. Good for those who need to the extra features and either have the power to cope with it or see the performance degradation as a worthy sacrifice

Opera- inbetween Chrome and FF. It is still relatively quick, isn't too bloated, but does have some extra features should you wish to use them. The new proxy it uses to compress pages when on a slow connection looks like an awesome feature and makes it ideal for the mobile market.

IE- Getting better but is always one step behind. Upgrade cycles are few and far between, often on or near OS releases. I find it ties itself heavily to MS services (e.g. Bing) and it isn't easy to change. The lazy choice.

Netscape- The lazy corporate who needs to get rid of NT4 :)

6. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I have to ask you how do you think Google make their money?

Not only did Google stick its claws into every downloadable software with the question "Wanna make us some more money? then download our toolbar and search engine!" Realplayer, Adobe everything, etc.etc. and so every jumps on the bandwagon not even realising they are making money everytime you click.

Shouldn't you lot be getting something back from google for all the money you have made them?

Funny how the only one offering something back is the all hated mighty Microsoft by way of Bing.

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Hmm maybe I should have made the winking smilie bigger... My comment about Opera fanboys followed by massive praise on how Gooogle can't put a foot wrong was somewhat tongue-in-cheek :)

I had to download both Adobe Reader and Flash yesterday, I couldn't believe it wanted to install google toolbar crap by default!
    I'm actually currently using IE8/Bing as I need to reinstall Win7 ASAP so there I don't see the point in getting it set up exactly how I want it yet. Bing is growing on me but it seems a little script heavy for this netbook, the little preview thing is really annoying. Google still make my browser and search engine of choice, even if they are growing more and more evil/monopolistic/corporate. Things they make are undeniably good products (google maps, android, docs, chrome...). Doesn't mean I agree with their tactics and everything they do though

8. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Eek, i think you probably have a point. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy, but i've been using Opera for pretty much since i got my first pc (after a friend's recommendation).

I quite like Chrome and where it's going, and i like Firefox for it's customization options, Opera to me seems like a very healthy balance between speed, features (love the built-in email client) and footprint. But again, that's just me.

Also, i always have a lot of tabs open (usually more than 20). Chrome opens every tab as a new process, if anything crashes, only the specific tab crashes rather than the whole browser. While this is very nice and safe, the memory usage increases exponentially (just did a quick and dirty test, opera with 22 tabs uses less memory than Chrome with 5)

9. jamesthebard

jamesthebard Too Much Time On My Hands

I'm a big fan for the advancement of any browser. Competition is a great thing because once a browser comes out with a new feature, the other browsers tend to start developing the same features.

The only thing lacking with Chrome is a plugin system. It's fast, works well, and is simplistic in it's overall aesthetics. As Opera/Chrome/Firefox/IE continue to develop, things will get better and, over time, spread out the market share.

*--Not so sure on the IE part now that I look back on the post, but I guess they could do some hardcore "innovation"...

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Afraid you're a bit out of date there - Chrome does indeed support plugins, there just aren't many of them ;).

Tags: Add Tags