1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move to Europe to avoid the US and its crap

Discussion in 'Serious' started by null_x86, 19 Sep 2009.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Ok, this is just a forinstance but I am seriously considering it, with some of the new bills that are being proposed. Lets just say I wanted to move to a englisg speaking country on the other side of the pond, what am I limited to? I was thinking UK cause thats the most obvious choice, but I have a few questions. What are the laws and justice system over there? Is the economy better over there then here in the States? What are healthcare options there? How does one get citizenship in the UK? Do I need a visa to come over or do I just come over? And i think most importantly, how to get from the east coast of the USA to the UK? Just wondering about all this, cause I have had my fair share of arguments with several government agencies over the last few months and I'm just considering my options. Im getting sick of how the states run as far as the government agencies and not being able to keep simple documents, losing them, etc, then blaming you for something they did. So, info? no flaming.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Healthcare is free, NHS, which is (for free health care) absolutely ****ing tops. Sure, private can sometimes be better, but hell. Free is free, and it's good free.

Getting things shipped (Moving house type shipped, not just the odd package shipped) from US to the UK can be an expensive affair, and I certainly would not take anything valuable on a commercial aircraft. Fortunately, Ford/Jaguar paid for my familys stuff to be shipped between the two countries, but that was on a boat, and took a fair few weeks to get everything, courtesy of the speed of ships. Of course, it depends how much you're taking, but, it's never "cheap" or all that easy. Not impossible, mind.

I think your biggest issue would be getting a visa over here. I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of our visa system, but from what a friend (She moved here from the US a few years back) was saying, it can be an arduous task. She got a visa because she married a British citizen, I'm not sure what the visa rules are if you get a job out here or something, though. I don't recall us having anything like your greencard system for working, I think we run on visa and visa only. It could have changed, but my American friend didn't need to do anything except get the visa sorted out to work here.

The economy is, pretty much, globally buggered. It's not a fat lot different here, to be honest. That said, things will seem insanely expensive compared to what you're currently used to.

Getting a job, though, would be fun, especially now, and especially trying to emigrate here to start work.

Oh, and as for useless governments? We have our own collection of incompetant cretins in the government offices. We regularly hear that X number of CD's/DVD's/Thumb sticks have been left on trains, lost, stolen, etc, containing personal details of the general public (Like, National Insurance numbers, names, addresses, DOB's), all the fun stuff. We most definitely have our moments with crappy government.

3. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Heathcare is excellent over here :) except for the death panels which sentence us to death at 30.

But more seriously, and I don't know exactly what Canada is like, but that might be an easier move to make if you want to get away from the US to a more European country?

4. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

What are the laws and justice system like? Well no guns for a start, and we don't usually sentence people to death. That's all of Europe for the most part.

Healthcare, a thousand times better regardless of which country in Europe you go to.

Economy, globally a mess. Jobs tricky to find. Things are more expensive in Europe due to extra taxes on most things to pay for the healthcare systems etc, but it's not overtly expensive and balances out usually.

As for goverment screwups, well we do have our fair share over here, don't get me wrong. However most of the goverments aren't in the habit of randomly invading other countries or propping up dictatorships.

As already suggested, look at Canada, it's like Europe in a lot of ways, but closer.

5. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Ok, so anyone got any information on Canada? Is it the closest I can get to the UK without actually going there? Canada have the same laws as the UK and same healthcare stuff?

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Not really. I can hardly think of a country in mainland Europe that has messed up gun laws similiar to the UK.

@OP: In your situation i'd consider Canada, or NZ before i would consider the UK. For one the weather is usually pretty rubbish, and for two they have some really messed up rulings that rival, if not exceed those in the US. I'd also mention Australia but the wildlife is really very unpleasant (although inarguably diverse), and they have stupid game ratings and gun laws.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

:D

Sir Digby likes this.
  8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Erm, since when have zero tolerance no gun laws been 'messed up'?

9. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

:hehe: WHY IS THIS THING IN MY HAND GLOWING!!!!

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You know Canada is the best place to live.. I mean you don't have the government wanting to control people lives like in UK. And the move from US to Canada is much shorter, easier for you. :D

You must live in Canada for 3 years to get citizenship... that is all.
    Also, 99% of the crap being said by us on U.S Channels are either very rare cases and lies, to make people fear of our system.
    So far, despite all the critics said on our heath care system, numbers shows that we are more healthy and less in dept then the average U.S citizen.
    And out of this big mess of economies, Canada was and still is the best position in the world. Heck our banks showed no sign of struggles. Not to mention that we have a very good educational system, and cost for going to school for Canadian is really cheap.
    Heck my University tuition fees (4 courses) + books (price of books varies, of course) is under 2000$ (in Quebec). And are Universities are renown world wide.

Much more flexible and realistic laws on copyrights (ie: you can do a backup of your book, music CD, etc.. for your own personal usage, and if you watch a movie in family, you dont' need to buy a copy per person who is watching the movie with you). And we have a lot of other benefits that many Europe countries offer. And let's not mention the power of the Canadian passport. Take a trip somewhere, a war starts, Canadian Government comes and pick you up, with no charges.

Weather... well as you know it can be cold in Canada... However the upside is that you experience all the weathers of the world. From -30C all the way up to +40C, so you experience the weather of the world without even moving :) Oh Oh, crime level is very very low in Canada. When a cop gets shot, heck even if a firefighter in injured it's national news for the whole week. :)

Like U.S way of life... go to Toronto, more calm? Montreal, much more calm Ottawa and Vancouver, even more calm? anywhere else I guess, total peace and quiet? Well next to any national parks :p

Last edited: 19 Sep 2009
  11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Erm, really? Are you seriously trying to start THAT argument? Well i'm not willing to get into it.

I'd just like to point out that it's not even zero tolerance. It's just incredibly restrictive regarding what you can get so it has nothing going for it at all, not even from the anti-gun perspective. But let's stay on topic.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2009
  12. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Naa I think we should get into this... or maybe I'll even make a thread, zero gun laws are a bad thing are they? When will you ever need a gun? Hunting isn't band, you need a special permit but if you plan to use guns for that then you can (duck shooting etc... even though I despise that sorta thing) but when will you ever need a p90 in your cabinet? Most burglars don't carry weapons of any sort and if no one has guns anyway unless your looking for trouble you'll find it hard, nigh on impossible even to get yourself shot in this country

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Hey, you brought it up! :lol:

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread so I'll leave it there.

14. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

w00t for being an American, Canadian, and British citizen :D.

After college I think I might be moving abroad, i might add German to my classes though and move to Germany for engineering.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

When it comes to escaping stupid laws then I just don't think UK should be at the top of your list. Same applies to stupid leaders, Iraq war, anyone?

Canada sounds far better to me.

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

err google.com?

17. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Google have a country now :eek:

I live in Scotland and I like it :) The laws in Scotland are different in some ways to the rest of the UK. My 0.02

18. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Is there anyway to get a work visa or something so that I can be there legally and just switch citizenship from USA to Canada? Canada sounds pretty cool, and i have always wanted to go, now I guess I should make a trip and look at some places :D

19. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I think its something to do with having a Scottish PM......you guys get no uni fees :(

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

im considering on getting out.... Good ship Uk, is slowly sinking but the governement and media are trying to hide the leaks....