1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclocking Intel's Core i5 750

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 21 Sep 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Did you run into the problem I caused at the asus event, or are you using an updated bios?

3. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the guide!

I am just waiting for some decent cooling solutions to come out now! Think it will have to be the corsair h50. I used the OC Genie on mine to do some easy overclocking with the stock cooler but I found it got to hot even with a small increase.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i5 750 turbos to 24x.

so use numbers such as 21x or 19x?

many thanks for this guide, will come in very handy tomorrow, when my Corsair H50 arrives :) (Novatech says it's got LGA1156 mounting kit Novatech updated and says H50 kit is not in the box, they will send me one once it's released. )

Last edited: 21 Sep 2009
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea we found 19x did a much higher base clock.

6. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Sweet. Are there any decent coolers out yet, or plans for cooler reviews from bit in the near future? Gonna be quite impatient waiting for a cooler after my mobo arrives tomorrow.

7. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

Any ideas as to why odd numbers are better than even?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope. Just what I was told and seems to work.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

A comparison list of achievable clocks would have been nice... this article was poorly laid out and very confusing trying to find specific info.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's meant as a reference only, with a breakdown of a few popular boards sold in the UK. I might update it once we receive further samples.

It's not a "you will get this with this board" - that's saved for each motherboard review and dependent on the hardware being used. I cannot possibly review every hardware combination by our readers. It's designed a "here's how to use this BIOS and what settings you should look to apply".

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I understand that... it just would have been nice to see the results side by side... no results are ever certain when OCing anyway... I just found it very difficult to compare different bits of information.

12. XSAN

XSAN What's a Dremel?

What sort of cooling did you use for the UD4? I have a similiar setup and I am just looking to overclock to 3.6. Also, I have a Corsair Dominator rated at 8 8 8 24 @ 1600; Will I be able to run them @ 1800 at 1.65v and raise the timings to 9 9 9 24?
    Thanks.

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

An interesting and good article, thanks.

Being REALLY picky, I would have to say that I had the same thoughts as SchizoFrog, in that whenever I read an article like this I always enjoy looking at some form of comparison table and conclusions section at the end.

I think we all know that Overclocking is one of those dark arts where there is as much luck as skill involved, (getting good quality instances of components to begin with and such) but a conclusions section, even with all the usual caveats, is still a nice thing to have and makes things easy on the eye.

It's not that I want to be 'spoon-fed' because I'm in anyway intellectually lazy, it's just that, well... OK, well maybe it is because I'm a little intellectually lazy, but I still like to see it! (Hey, I'm honest if not industrious!)

Being 'gripey' on a Monday, I suppose too that now i5 has begun arriving on the scene there'll be little pressure to drop the cost of i7 equipment any time soon...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We already did the overclocking performance results: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-core-i5-and-i7-lynnfield-cpu-review/1

and in every motherboard article there are overclocking results (albeit with 870 CPUs since we have more)

:)

It's not a comparison though, it's a reference article to those who are unfamiliar or want some advice about overclocking the Core i5-750 :)

I do technically see your point - you want more to read: something that completes the article in the traditional sense - but it would just reiterate other results we've already given you.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Noctua NH-U12P or Cooler Master V8: expensive CPU coolers unfortunately. We've also used the Cooler Master Hiper 212 but it can't take the heat of high voltage.

What cooler do you use and what temperatures are you getting? Are you using the F3 BIOS?

I've no idea about 1,800MHz - it entirely depends on the quality of your DIMMs. The only way is to try.

16. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Interesting review Bindi,

But I'm intrigued, from some benchmarks/reviews I've seen the Socket 1156 i7 860 performs better than the i5 750 and so it should, so I was a bit surprised to read what you typed that the i5 750 "Is the only Lynnfield that UK customers should buy" is that the general concensus then?

17. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

At the 860s price, you are getting into i7 920 platform price, which is undoubtedly superior, so rather than getting an 86, you should get a 920.

18. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Wouldn't it be more expensive to go the 920 route though? Or would the 860 be almost on par with the 920? Reason I ask is because the 920 is Socket 1366 right so you'd need to buy 6 gb of ram and with the Socket 1156 860 you only need to buy 4 gb of ram, and aren't the 1366 mobos pricier than the 1156 mobos? So wouldn't P.C users save quite a few pennies going 1156 i7 860 route rather than i7 920 if the performance difference is only minimal?

Reading here Bit-tech review of the 1156 i5-i7 CPU's it shows the i7 920 at stock speed gets an average of 32 fps in Crysis and minimum of 24 fps (just below comfortable fps) and the i7 860 gets an average of 34 fps in Crysis and a minimum of 27 fps a 2 and 3 fps increase over the 920, interesting :thumb:

Last edited: 21 Sep 2009
  19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I think they're talking in terms of value Thermal5 - as in performance for price, not just performance overall.

The earlier tests they did across the i5 range shows that the 860 has a less than 10% stock increase in overall performance compared to the 750, (narrowing to less than 6% when both are overclocked) yet carries around a 45% price premium on it.

The situation is even worse with the 870, with a less than 15% stock overall performance increase to the 750, (and actually a DECREASE in the overclocked power) yet carries an approx 285% price increase.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-core-i5-and-i7-lynnfield-cpu-review/6

As they, (and Combinho) say, that money is comfortably i7 territory - with the 920 overclocking like a banshee...

20. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I'm confused by your point Thermal5, as the chart you pick demonstrates the 750 & 860 posting the same scores when stock, with the 750 outpacing the 860 when overclocked - and the 920 outpacing both when overclocked.

That being the case, if you have no interest in overclocking then the 750 is still the one to go for.

The i5 boards are definitely cheaper, but there are i7 boards that don't cost the earth - and any difference in chip price would cover the difference in motherboard price anyway. Plus, why do you need 6GB of RAM? 6GB is obviously going to cost more than 4GB - you could just put 3 in now and 3 at a latter date if you wanted that much but were on a budget...

Tags: Add Tags