1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 My First RROD!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ArtificialHero, 13 Jun 2009.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Well. I've managed to avoid this particular issue for the 2 years or so I've had my console, got to say for all the times I've told people "it's not that big a deal when it happens, they pay for shipping both ways and sort it all out" it is kinda annoying, I don't know where I'm going to get my guitar hero fix for the next few weeks. I wouldn't mind too much, except I now see that they don't send you a shipping container, so I have to find a suitable box and figure out how to pack it securely so they don't turn around and say "well it was damaged during shipping because it wasn't packaged safely". Anyone have experience of the process? Any tips, etc?

AH

2. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

you can get UPS to give you a box if you want, I got one off them, the guy who picked mine up had a box in the van, it was only £1.49, so I thought id might as well just to make sure it was revieved properly.

There arn't many tips as such lol, but if you want to track where in the process it is then you can track it on xbox.com and use the UPS tracking number to see where the parcel is when its been sent out. Other than that its a waiting game really, just got to be patient.

I hope that yours doesn't turn out like mine, when I sent mine off I recieved it back, the RRoD had been fixed but they had cracked the plastic on the back, and I had a new error, which is the E76 error, its to do with the HDMI port on the back where it breaks away from the solder, I was very annoyed, and it was away for another 5 weeks.

I would advise that you write down the serial number of your xbox (sticker on the back of the xbox) so that you know if its your one you get back

Hope this helps

Gaz :)

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Take everything removable off; I took off the faceplate after hearing some stories of people getting theirs back scratched to bits. And don't send it in the original box, you definitely won't get it back.

Other than that it was fairly painless for me, got it back in about 10days with no problems.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I used the box sony gave my housemate when they came to pick his b0rked PS3 up...lol...even had the stickers saying there was in PS3 in it on still.

But yea...just pack it up like you would anything else. Took about 10 days for me with a bank holiday weekend in the middle of it as well, and they gave me a free month on xbox live. Impressed tbh. And they replaced my DVD drive for free because it was whining like baby all the time.

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

this is gonna sound thick but make sure the dvd drive is empty. i nearly returned one of mine with a game in it

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I used my trusty ebuyer box.

7. WakoNako

WakoNako What's a Dremel?

When mine RROD I printed off the shippin form. Took it to UPS and gave em $7 to pack and insure my 360. Best $7 i ever spent, if only for peace of mind. I had a new box set up a week later

8. Br41th

Br41th What's a Dremel?

Anyone seen a RROD like this before? Its my mates he sent it off for repair and it came back like that

9. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

lol thats new. i know that two red lights means its over heating but ive never seen the above

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^Hahah that's funky as hell.

@OP the repair depot in Germany (where all the RRoDs in mainland europe go to) isn't really fussy about the packaging, just use any box that's slightly larger than the console and stuff any leftover room with paper or any packaging material.

Don't forget to remove your HDD and double check that you didn't forget a disk in the drive. Also, i found that it's best to post your return address on the inside of the box where they can see it when they open it.

Once your repaired 360 comes back, keep the white box (inc. foam) they used to send it to you, it'll come in handy the next time around :p

One more thing, if the USB flap on your faceplate happens to be broken, leave it on there and they'll sort you out with a new one.

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

...and they'll also add lots of lovely black scuff marks all over your pristine console if you're lucky like me :(

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Ouch, sounds bad. I don't know about that, the german guys always took good care of me. But accidents happen. BTW Does the UK have its own repair center?

13. Hex

Dunno mine went to Germany. I got the same one back, but like I say I'd never moved mine so it was pristine, not a scratch or mark on it. Came back with black marks all over it :( So now I need to cover it with a decal as it looks tatty.

14. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Mine came back from Deutschland with a few black marks on as well, luckily mine just rubbed off. Sorry to hear about yours Hex :(

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Mine E74'd the other day :( Expecting it back any day now. Seems like Europe has a quicker turn around than the US. I think average here is < 14 days whereas there it seems closer to 3 weeks.

16. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I've had the rrod, fixed it myself as it was out of warranty and it lasted for another 18 months, now i get artifacts after 15mins :( New console eventually me thinks :(

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Welcome to the RROD club, its not very exclusive :) They sent me a box for free, but I read recently that MS has stopped the free box in USA and therefore asume it will carry over to the UK too.

Its repaired in Germany, note that you wont gets yours back fixed, you get someone elses.

18. Hex

They wouldn't send me a box (this was just after NXE came out so while ago now). I asked UPS on the phone and she said they never supply or sell boxes which I know is a lie :/ Anyway I sent mine in a raggedy old box but surrounded it with loads and loads of bubble wrap and parcel tape/papered it up so it was secure and have kept the nice white one they sent it back in with the polystyrene cos I know it'll have to go back again one day...

Also I did get mine back which I've heard is unusual, but then again I didn't get the RRoD mine just went odd after installing NXE, gfx appeared to be fried.

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Actually, i got my own console back 2 out of 3 times, the one time i didn't was because i was RMAing my first 360 back through the store, and after the second time it happened within a few months they decided to give me a new one. That lasted for more than two years, sent it off to Microsoft and got the same one back with a new mobo, the extra heatsinks and the newest DVD drive.