1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK: Broadband tax 'to be made law'

Discussion in 'Serious' started by samkiller42, 23 Sep 2009.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Story: Here

It doesn't say where the 50p will come from, ie, if it will be 50p ontop of what you pay, or 50p is included in the package.

For some reason, i always have fear when i see tax, so, should i fear this potential tax?

Sam

2. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

If it helps to improve the generally slow network, I can only see it as a good thing.

3. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

if its only 50p, and they genuinely will use it to improve britains broadband capabilities, then thats a good thing right?

bring it! =D

4. Akava

Akava Lurking...

The problem isn't that it is a tax, or even that its 50p; its that as with all taxes it will rise, 50p is fine at the moment, but what about in a couple of years when its an extra £5 a month...

Though I do agree; if it helps those with slow or no broadband, it'll be a good thing.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I’d be all for it if the resultant network was publicly owned, but its going to be owned and run by BT. So the Govt is now wanting to enforce a tax to improve a private company's assets, because the private company hasn't been investing in its infrastructure in locations it deemed remote. Stuff them, if we need a tax for it to work then reclaim BT as a public service citing failure to meet targets as a reason to not recompense share holders.

6. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Same point here really; im all for it if it means publically available internet infrastructure however if its just a tax to pay on top of a private line lease then **** that

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I pay close to 40 quid a month for my fibre net connection. thankfully i dont havea phone line so im unsure how this effects me.

I'd blame the companies offering cheap as **** adsl packages saturating dsl

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I would be happy to pay 50p a month to get a much better service, But lets be honest it not going to happen, I think whisper sums it up well.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm not in the UK but this happens all the time, a little tax here and another one there. They all add up over time.

10. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Why not a tax equivalent to 50p for every phoneline taken from BT's profits?

Although I suppose if that was proposed then BT could just take Mandleson out for lunch and completely coincidentally the proposal would disappear.

11. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

This is exactly the same problem I have with this tax, amoung the knowlage of the tax will rise and will not see any noticable improvement in the service. :duh:

In the UK???!!!! :O
    It does raise a valid point, and one I was thinking of at work today, what about virgin/ntl/(whomever its owned by now) cable, so ok you can get tv, phone and internet, lets say I want JUST the internet, assuming they provide just internet, where would someone stand there as you would have no fixed phone line?

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it starts at 50p, but it'll rise.

I bet the tax will be scaled depending on connection speed, a little like road tax now. So high speed connections will have a heavy tax.

I am sickened by the idea, considering that we already pay for a service, to which point that payment should be going back into the system to improve it.

money leaching B*******

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yep, welcome to england

14. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

The "Poll Tax" was also a GOOD IDEA,.... Abolish those unfair Rates (You wont remember what that means unless you are 40+) and instead bring in a LOW individual tax.

Great idea, ...implementation though was total FUBAR, as instead of a £50 per person Tax, it quickly turned into £500+ per person.... then the riots started.

Me see a striking similarity here. 50p? My FRICKIN ASS!!! It will be £50 per house hold before 5 years if it comes in and if collected locally by councils then expect £150+ per year.

My slightly pessimistic 2p :D

Cheers

P.S just noticed it was 50p a MONTH, ...still you get the idea.

15. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I'm in England.... yet dont get fiber.. not to home at least, may I ask which city/town provides such?
    I get 22mbit with Be*, certinly not to be sniffed at... however the exchange is next door but 1.

16. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Yep, it'll probably be like that, meaning the people like me that are lucky enough to live close to the local exchange are going to get completely screwed.

17. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

this is nothing like poll tax

18. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I didnt say it was did I? I meant it started out as a reasonable idea and very low price point but quickly went stupid when it got going. (sigh)

19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

In my opinion this is a total rip off, 50p may not be much but its another way for the government to claw your money away from your wallet

another stealth TAX, before you know it they will weigh and tax your number 2's

You pay one company for your broadband, then pay our soft arse government more for the pleasure of it.

WTF, i say f**k off, sort the country and employment out.

20. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

This doesnt seem very clear to me (no i havent read up on it), is that if you have a landline full stop (as most of us probably do) or just if you get the net over a landline?
    If its the former, they can get ******