1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Can I possibly go wrong with this setup ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kaktus, 24 Sep 2009.

1. Kaktus

Kaktus What's a Dremel?

Hello there Bit-Tech forum users !

This is my first time building a pc from the ground up and therefore I seek some answers to my questions :)

This is my setup:

Silverstone Fortress FT01
    - Solid case, don't want no other http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=FT01&area=

Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-750
    - Don't know about this one, heard it's good, but the i7 is better, tho the price differs to much I think

Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL8
    ( CL8-8-8-24@1.5V ) - Sounds good I think

MSI P55-GD65 - Pretty good specs on this motherboard too

XFX GeForce GTX 285 690M 1GB @ 690/2600MHz "overclocked" - Now this card might be a little bit overkill i figure

Corsair Powersupply HX 750W - Not much to say here, quality all the way

Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 500GB / 32MB Cache - Should do well enough, don't need no SSD

Corsair H50 - Great cooler according to the tons of high scoring reviews

And the rest I already have !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So how does it look poeple ? Is it good ?

My intended use is gaming and I want to drive games like Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, Diablo 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction and GTA4 on Max :D

The two things I can't figure out is the CPU and the GPU.
    Did I go to far with the GTX 285 ? I heard the GTX275 is pretty good too, but don't know if it will run the games like I want them to run.

And the Intel i5 :confused: Is there a better alternative for me ?

So if some of you brainers could help me sort some of this out I would be so glad :)

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Does the Corsair H50 support 1156 now?

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Most of it looks pretty good, just a couple of things:

1) Drop the WD Green HDD - go for the Blue/Black (AAKS/AALS) models instead, the extra speed is worth the small price premium.

2) The GTX 285 still isn't very good value for money at the moment - you can get a GTX 275 for around £70 less, which will be almost as fast, or a 4870 X2 for around the same price, which should be a good deal faster. The choice will probably depend entirely on the resolution you game at.

And yes, I'd recommend sticking with the i5 750 so long as the main use for the system will be gaming.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

main site says so.

does it ship with the bracket though?

5. Kaktus

Kaktus What's a Dremel?

Upgraded the HDD to a Black line 750Gb

The 4870 X2 was a little but to pricey after the upgrade to the faster HDD .. it is tempting to go for the X2 but I don't know if I can afford it now :(

Yeah, atleast in Norway :D

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Go with the GTX 275 or 260... DirectX 11 card are coming up soon... and will be obviously more powerful for the price. So I believe it's not worth investing a large amount on a ultra fancy GPU. the 260 should last you (1680x1050 resolution.. for 1920x1600 go with 275) well over the day the Geforce 300 comes down to affordable prices.

7. Kaktus

Kaktus What's a Dremel?

How much cooler is DirextX 11 than DirectX 10 ?

Is it so awsome that it is worth the wait ? I would like a DirectX 10 vs DirectX 11 please !

How long is it till this comes out anyways ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Question: Is it enough with the 750W power supply if I choose the 4870 X2 ?

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

depends on who you ask.. ask any of the cardmakers or microsoft, it's the holy grail and after seeing it in action.. you'll strip naked, hang yourself upside down on a swingbar, and have balmer kick your face up around the back of your ass

[PUNK] crompers likes this.
  9. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

They speak the truth.

A HD5850 might be worth consideration :D

10. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

Yeah exactly, why not go for a 5850 for about £200 when it is released next week? No point going for anything else in that price range tbh.

Also, to answer your question, 750W is more than enough for a 4870 X2, though I can't see why you would ever buy one now. A 5850 offers DX11, lower power consumption, and on par gaming performance with just the one GPU, as opposed to two.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

before Jen-Hsun Huang pulls it out by your ears, holds onto the sides of your head and screams PHOTO-REALISTIC, 32x AF, CUDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. whilst strange green drool dribbles from the corner of his mouth

12. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

I think a 5850 is definately worth waiting to have a look at - if it is apparently 80% as powerful as the HD5870, then youll have an awesome card for the money

13. Kaktus

Kaktus What's a Dremel?

Ok, so I had a look on some test and benchmarks of the 5870 card with DirectX 11 and it was not bad, not bad at all !

The price is the same as the 4870X2 and the performance did not differ to much between the two for me to jump !

So at this point I am going for the 5870 with my system :)

14. GoodBytes

Or, wait for Nvidia's for some competition.

15. Kaktus

Kaktus What's a Dremel?

How long do I have to wait for Nvidia's answer then ? Next year ?

Reminder ! I don't have gaming computer at all right now, and I want to play :)

16. GreenStone

GreenStone What's a Dremel?

I would swap the GTX 285 for a GTX 275. You should also consider buying a cheaper card (GTX 260 or HD 4850) as a buffer until Nvidia releases their GT300 (November or early December) and ATI HD58xx series becomes cheaper.

17. GoodBytes

You must remember when either card (ATi and Nvidia) will be released, it will be like 500-600$ if not more... mid 2010 it should start to drop a bit with the presentation of higher and/or lower model.

So, get the GTX 260.. I can play any games at max settings at 1600x1200 (this is above as most 22inch wide screen display which are at 1680x1050). I think Crysis might not run at absolute max max settings.. but it's Crysis.

The GPU is really cheap, you can play the latest games at max settings at high resolution. It should hold true until DirectX11 card gets affordable, and have games that actually uses it.

trig likes this.
  18. Kaktus

Kaktus What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that makes sense ! The DX 11 cards are very expensive now and they will release more cards supporting DX11 next year thene you will have a wider range of cards in different classes to choose from :)

I'm not to hype on the Crysis, but GTA4 and Modern Warfare 2 .. will the GTX260 run these games at MAX og just HIGH ?

19. trig

trig god's little mistake

+1
    cheaper dx10 for now, upgrade to dx11 when the price wars start.
    and yeah, that core i5 is a great buy...

20. GoodBytes

I dont' know about Modern Warfar2... and I can't say for GTA4, because my CPU is what limits my GPU from reaching it's full potential. So, I can't comment on this particular game.