1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down to 6th :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 25 Sep 2009.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Just in case anybody from EVGA decides to come over a gloat I thought I'd start a thread about us getting bumped down to 6th place.

Believe it or not but this is the first time our team has ever been overtaken - previously we've always been the ones driving in the fast lane.

So, apart from acquiring a load of the SGI servers I was talking about earlier this week on long term loan does anybody have any good news on how to reinvigorate the team?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Can you get some prizes in sponsorship for us?
    I'm willing to come up with comps etc to boost interest but prizes might encourage new folders.

Some sort of mailing list would be handy as well. We've got 600ish active folders and only 20 or so of us are on the forums, I'm sure with more folders on here we could easily boost output by tweaking rigs etc.

3. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

For what its worth I think the answer lies in the stats within the production group and team user info on eoc.

It shows only 10% of our active users make over 6,000 ppd and our average team user stats are 3,800, where as EVGA has 22% of their active users making over 6,000 ppd and their average team user stats are 5,200 .
    Whilst it appears we have more 100,000 ppd big gun generals it is the lower points earners within the army that need to raise their game so the mag needs to target that group i guess.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2009
  4. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

More guides would be great. I want a native Linux setup so I can SMP fold on an E8600 & the GPU since Notfred stopped working. What would you suggest, Ubuntu?

I just setup a couple of uni console clients in the meantime. I plan to use the Linux drive on a dedicated budget rig I'm building with a Q6600, TP45 & a couple of gtx260's.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ah it finally happened :(

My one and only idea is to advertise more. The rest have already said what needs to be said about 90% of our folders, there's no need to repeat it. I genuinely think that we can take 5th back but we need more people on the forums asking questions, getting new rigs built and basically catching the folding bug. Without the bug, there's no passion and without the passion, there's no extra effort.

6. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

:sigh:

They're making over 5 million per day boys, it was bound to happen some time. I'm just glad we beat them to 1 billion. We've just go to ramp up the ppd a bit and start hunting OC.com and OCAus :D

Even if we just got the current active folders (which I currently am not, I've just moved apartments and need to take some time to get settled in) to make another 1k per day, we would cut down our next overtake from 2.3 years to 300 days. We could be in 4th by the end of next year!

One thing that we really need is to get some inactive users back in the game. If you look at the stats, every single team that is ahead of us has an advantage in the number of active users when compared to us. At the same time, we have a significantly higher average ppd than every one of them with the exception of EVGA. If we can even bring back 100 people making 1k ppd, that's equal to getting another person in the top 50 producers. And we're only talking about one thousand ppd. I could probably get that much out of my mITX board :lol:

7. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

for what its worth and as i tell the wife "every little bit counts" :D
    i managed to get this blackops motherboard up and running this afternoon,even though im still waiting for the bios chip to arrive.remembered i had an old core 2 knocking about in my spares and although it took me nigh on 30 attempts to get it to boot to desktop so i could flash it.
    its now running ok (i think) and it will be folding shortly with 3 x gtx 260's on board.
    so thats a few more points for me,for the team and most of all to keep saspro and lizard off my tail :thumb:

cheers spunky

8. rcranfield

rcranfield Technophobe

I don't think any of us will 'gloat'. You guys are a powerful team in your own right. All the work we do is for the same cause. Last time I looked at your radar screen you were destined for 3rd place. That is not shabby at all.

9. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure I should be saying anything in case I get booed off, but I think you hit the nail on the head. A few dedicated peeps folding the bigadvs and splashing a bit of dosh on hardware is not going to keep a folding team on the top of the leaderboard. Getting the middle order to increase PPD by a couple of 1000 PPD per day and getting a lot more of them into folding is the answer.

10. spunkymonkey

the competative side of folding is what makes it a passion for the majority of us,it is difficult when your team drops down a place in the table especailly with how high we are in the world of folding.but i do agree with you whole heartidly that where all doing it for a good cause :thumb:
    of course now we have the challenge of taking that position back.......hopefully.
    cheers spunky

11. rcranfield

rcranfield Technophobe

+1.
    If it were not for the competition, I bet a lot of folks would not even bother folding. But I really think the main competition is individuals competing within teams, not team to team.

Team EVGA had a real competition with OCN for a long while. They pumped up their PPD and equalled us for a long time. We visited their forum, and they visited ours with friendly competition and ribbing. Other than that one time, the competition between teams has not really made much of a dent in us. We have tried to recreate that team to team competition since then, but no other team has been quite as fun as OCN was. We tried it here as well. To get the competitiveness going, but I guess we have just become kind of the 900 pound gorilla and folks are just resigned to us passing them. That is a shame. We truly respect everyone folding right down to the individual folding for default.
    You guys are destined for number 3 as we speak. I would not doubt for one second that you could still make it to numero uno (that's french).

12. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Clive, can you oblige please? Might help ease your conscience :D.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2009
  13. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I have been following this thread with interest, and the reason that I fold is that in a little way I can help research into some of the ill's that have taken many of my friends over he past several years, also I must admit that I have enjoyed the company on first, the CPC website and latterly this one, and I also admit that that the competition, both amongst the top folders, and the rest of us,:D has been very friendly, as most of you know I have taken several months to build my folding rig and the desire to get into the top 100 is driving me on. But there are only two folders, Agma and myself that are racing up the board towards this goal, unfortunately I have not seen Agma on this Forum. still at present he is beating me and that is a spur to moving to the next step the answer is to keep plodding and we will get there

14. spunkymonkey

the competition maybe at the forefront of our minds but knowing that we may help people now and in the future is the real reason why we do it.
    we fight on whether we as individuals or as a team go up or as today we take step back but like in life we WILL fight on for the cause,the competition and for the glory.
    "LETS ROCK" :thumb: :D :thumb:
    cheers spunky

15. rcranfield

rcranfield Technophobe

There are no 'steps back' in folding.

16. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

More tweaking needed me thinks ........ :) 1 more pc in process of being built here .....all for the cause

17. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Tweaking

I agree with the suggestions about more implicit guides, will be time consuming but maybe some basic, detailed 'step by step' guides for setting up SMP under XP, Vista, linux or running 2 x GPU etc. etc. would encourage people who hesitate due to lack of confidence

Maybe it's also a financial thing, those with the folding bug tend to spend on dedicated rigs AND typically pick up knowledge on how to optimise during the process .... the casual folder using a few spare cycles doesn't have the money to invest in dedicated rigs so doesn't need a step-by-step guide and maybe just runs the easiest client?

For what it is worth I hope to stretch to another GPU (9800GT) soon to get me above the 20K ppd, would love to spend more on a i7 with 4 x 9800GX2 but literally cannot afford it.

Suggest a major feature in the magazine to capture people's imagination, encourage lapsed folders and get new people onboard - maybe a feature on 'build a 10k ppd rig for under £250' or something?

18. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Taffy - chase me, chase me - only 10 positions above you and we're about the same PPD :D

19. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I'm chasin, i'm chasin, I'm chasin,:idea::idea::idea:

20. spt

spt What's a Dremel?

We are going to catch you one day Taffy boy!!!!!