1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mix ATI & Nvidia? Lose PhysX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Sep 2009.

1. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Disturbing yes, but I'm still remaining in the green camp, for at least nVidia makes sure it's partners have strict quality control. I only had to RMA a nVidia GPU once, and it actually ran fine on the distributor's systems (but they still sent it back and I had a spanking new card at the end of everything) unlike AMD, whose 4870 had to be RMA'ed 4 times.

I doubt I'd lose sleep over you legions of angry AMD fans.

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

nVidia should have just said it's there but not supported and left it at that instead of locking it out entirely.

I think this will cause a lot of ill feeling towards nvidia which could have been avoided, only a small minority of users have an ATI/nVidia combo, and leaving it unlocked may have created extra sales from ATI users wanting a 2nd (NV) card for PhysX...

3. Goty

Goty Minimodder

You're really not getting the issue here, are you?

There's no catering to be done here. NVIDIA is actively going out of their way to stop people from using NVIDIA cards in the same system as an ATI card for the express purpose of running PhysX instead of allowing it and just not actively supporting it.
    People honestly aren't upset about not being able to run PhysX in the two games that implement it to any effect, they're upset about being denied choice simply because NVIDIA is currently reeling and would like to deny ATI all the sales it possibly can.

The problem is that they're failing miserably at their whole plan! I can guarantee that there are very few people willing to give up the extra performance currently provided by ATI simply to enable PhysX, so NVIDIA isn't going to get even the few low-end sales that they might have otherwise.

Honestly, the whole situation is tantamount to a little kid throwing a temper tantrum because he's only going to get a small ice cream instead of a big one.

rpsgc likes this.
  4. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Yeah because no one has to ever RMA an nVidia card multiple times. :rolleyes:

**** happens, deal with it.

This QA you talk about, does that apply to laptops too? Or are you another one who pretends the whole mobile GPU failure thing didn't happen?

5. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I think Nvidias decision is a dumb one, if they left it the way it was, then maybe they could slowly turn the ATI fanboys, and then they would have done what I'd never have thought possible... (turn a fanboy!) :D

But now I think ATI look to have the best option for me when I next upgrade, because I would like to use all 3 of my monitors side by side as one big monitor! ;)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Whiny fan boy posts gogo

2 games total it affects 0.1% or less of people. Direct x 11 more
    ms junk. The 5870 great performance at a huge price

I know plenty of peolple still on 8800 gtxs that can still handle
    every modern game at the resolution they game at 1280 1024 19 inch moniters
    are still the norm were most foke live.

Ati and nvidia are fighting for the 10% top end. were 60-70% of all graphics
    sales are in the below £ 100 sector

7. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Why are people that are 'whining' automatically fanboys?

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm only reporting what I've been informed of, on the fact that 182.xx still works. I could try it, but then I'd actually have to care about PhysX. ;) And pull my 4850 out of one rig to put it in my 8800GT one.

<sarcasm> What mobile GPU failure thing? That was an ATi plot to discredit nVidia! </sarcasm>

What happens when people upgrade? I think most monitors now are widescreen, whether you like it or not.

Because they don't agree with the posters world-view. Therefore: fanboy. That's the way it's always been, that's the way it's always going to be. *shrug*

9. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

:grr:

10. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I don't agree really but it's a grey area because the Physx card is part of the nvidia card, so if you don't use the nvidia gpu for rendering i can see the argument that the other functions shouldn't be available either.

But imagine if Intel bought nvidia, and then next thing you know if you have an AMD CPU your nvidia graphics card runs at half speed or switches off or something. That would suck, and is anti competitive, which at it's heart what this physx thing is.

11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Im currently using a pair of gtx295 cards for graphics and a seperate gtx285 for physx. Cant fault the set up however its worth a good £1000-1100 so I suppose you need to not fault it lol.

Andy

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Boohoo.

Some enterprising hacker will find a way around if, if they haven't already, just as they did with the SLI encryption.

13. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

That's gotta be the funniest thing I have heard all day! Thanks.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

simple in my eyes.. you are shafting paying customers- if you bought a nvidia card just for physx, and now you can't use it, it's just a brick sitting in your machine

this move really sealed the deal for me.. tired of nvidia, been tired of them for awhile.. I'm buying this christmas and having a look at that lucid board hopefully

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Not really.. PhysX is part of the "Made for nVidia" and obviously if you're not using nVidia cards for video & PhysX then you're not getting the nVidia experience, and if something goes wrong because of the ATI/nVidia mixing, nVidia don't want to have to deal with it because it wasn't intended to work in that way.

Thus it's safer, easier, and better business logic for them to disable it for systems mixing ATI/nVidia.

16. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I don't have a problem with what Nvidia did, that is as long as on their product packaging they put in big bold letters that it PhysX will not work when an ATI card is detected... Otherwise they are falsely advertising their product if you have to scour the internet to find out why your **** wont work when and ATI card is in your system also.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2009
  17. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Word, what planet was that guy from? Nvidia has tight QA? What ever...

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I was a bit peeved that i couldn't get my 8800GTS-640 to work in tandem with my 4870, I gave it to a friend in exchange for his 880GTS-320Mb...
    i still can't use it as a dedicated card.

I give advice to a lot of people who purchase new hardware, and I can't tell any of them to get Nvidia Hardware, be it mobos or graphics.
    Intel or AMD all the way.

Nvidia is dead to me.
    Even if they pull the fastest card out of a hat, they can keep it, and all the dev costs.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

:thumb:

20. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

+1 rep for that.

Tags: Add Tags