1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mix ATI & Nvidia? Lose PhysX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Sep 2009.

1. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

The problem is newer titles don't support anymore dedicated cards like the Ageia : it's mentioned in the Barman readme. Not that it might not work... (haven't tried it, no ageia here)

2. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

Nivida has been top dog in terms of performance for several years now. There is no reason for them to deliberately brick their functionality if they are still beating ATI's lineup. Perhaps they fear that ATI's cards will be better than theirs with DX11.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, I wonder how accurate that is. I've not opened my copy of Batman yet, so not had a chance to look at the readme... if newer PhysX games don't work on 'original' PhysX hardware, that's another reason to avoid PhysX like the plague in it's current 'closed' incarnation - what happens when nVidia decides they no longer wish to support 8 series or 9 series cards as PhysX processors? Or 'lower end' cards as PhysX processors?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The PCI Physx card seemed to work on my PC, couldn't cope with high but was fine on normal, I couldn't see the difference to be honest, still had thick smoke etc. whereas my 8800gt could run physx high no bother, though as mentioned could see no discernable difference as to why the Physx P100 choked on high.

Not yet got the full retail game though this is the demo.

5. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

WOW!! Nvidia stabs it's own customers and renders there own products not fit for purpose.
    FAIL!

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't it be simple enough for somebody in the know (eg game crackers) to just disable the drivers from finding the installed ATi hardware?

I think nVIDIA could sell a lot more cards if they allowed them to work as Physx alongside an ATi card as GPU. I'd buy one.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

skiped the comments, i thought there was an way to hack the Physx to work on ATI any way did he ever complete it

8. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I agree with SEAR, this is a straight dick move by Nvidia. ATI has Nvidia on the ropes and is racking up the points. I actually was thinking about getting an Nvidia card for my DRAGON PLATFORM just so I could experience Physx. But then Nvidia pulls this Hoe move by disabling it's cards when it detects an ATI card. Then Nvidia has the nerve to release a press statement downplaying ATI's new beast the HD 5870 and the importance of Directx 11!! It's one thing to trash talk the competition but to bite the hand that feeds you is insane. Nvidia must be off it's meds?

I always bought ATI because their products were cheaper and almost as good as Nvidia. Plus every body had Nvidia so I wanted to be different. Well After watching Nvidia fall out of favor with Intel and remake the same card with a different name a dozen times, then down play the upcoming release of Directx 11 I'm glad I stuck with the red guys. Besides I have been paying attention to Physx every since those $299 Ageia cards came out and I have yet to see a game released using Physx that makes me say "Dam I gotta get that". Some good games released? Yeh! But the amount of Physx in the games has yet to MODE 7 my eyeballs.

Anyway I think Directx 11 will prove more viable to video games in the next 12 months than Physx will and if I'm wrong than Nvidia will still will be a loser cause by then ATI will offer a card with Physx. Nvidia get your act together and bring gamers together, cause having an Nvidia card in every rig whether it's rendering graphics or doing Physx sounds like profit to me.

9. lightfox

lightfox Temporary hardware enthousiast

Disabling their product in the presence of competition, thus forcing people even more to buy their crap only, stabbing their own customers in the back in the process? How can they get away with this? I'm definetly not suporting nvidia now, my next high end card will be ATI.

That monopoly over PhysX can only be bad for customers in the end, it's not the kind of technology that should be owned by any GPU manufacturer. This is computers we are talking about folks, not video games consoles... Havok for the win!

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  10. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

just had another thought in regards to this... what happens if you put an nVidia card into one of the AMD 785G boards? because technically there's an ATI GPU in the system, is PhysX still disabled then, or is it only if the driver for the ATI GPU is detected?

if it is still disabled, alot of people are going to get quite pissed off

11. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Very interesting point Sebbo - I can only hope that it works if the onboard GFX is disabled - interesting to see what does happen, any one care to test?

12. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

So I got a PhysX card from Ageia. Works fine with ATI.

Unfortunately it's not very powerful and drops my minimum fps in Batman from a lovely figure....to 8.

13. infi

infi What's a Dremel?

the question remains if this will result in more or less sales for nvidia
    some people might opt to skip ati alltogether and use nvidia for physics and graphics
    and some might not buy a nvidia card now for dedicated physics because they want too stay with ati.

14. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Well I still own a BFG PhysX PCI card, it looks like I should keep hold of it should ATI steal a march on performance.

15. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

LOL very nice and accurate analogy :-D

16. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

At the rate this is going, you guys will start clamouring for Intel's chips to work with AMD chipsets, and vice versa.

nVidia spent the money. nVidia wants to maximize profits. Unless nVidia is a completely illogical company (there are some I can list) it is unlikely that they'd do something so stupid.

Think! Guy A has an AMD system, but he really wants PhysX. So he buys a nVidia card. nVidia earns.
    Guy B has an AMD system, but he wants PhysX, but he still prefers AMD, so he slots both in, buying a cheaper nVidia card. ATI earns, and comparatively nVidia loses out.

Free rider = AMD if nVidia allows mixing, you know...

17. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Physx works once the onboard GFX is disabled.

18. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Better to buy a secondary NVIDIA card such as the 8800GT, 9500GT, etc, and use it for Physx. Oh, did NVIDIA block this? Good job it's been patched then, lol

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

flibble.. it works on ati, just they literally turned it off and said in a statement- for business reasons lol sure they turned it back on, only cause peeps made a deal about it and after batman was out awhile.. most gamers play the game on release

&edit ah they did patch it.. think some guy did this in another thread on hardoc, mixed 2 drivers.. still whole thing really makes physx shine for what it really is.. a marketing tool

20. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

ATI is winning over Nvidia. Disabling the physx is a fine example of leg pulling.

Tags: Add Tags