1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Bit-Tech Digital 3D Render Gallery

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scooby, 6 May 2009.

1. bocian

bocian New

Little help

The final result (>40 phases)

[​IMG]

stuartwood89 likes this.
  2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Antec Big Boy 200mm - Model by Scooby

[​IMG]

~500 passes in about 5 hours.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

[​IMG]
    Cinema 4D r10.5, AR2, rendered in 24 secs :p

4. stuartwood89

Bocian: +rep for video.

edit: Can you tell me where you got the studio globals in that video? The KT site doesn't seem to have them.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2009
  5. bocian

bocian New

6. stuartwood89

7. bocian

bocian New

You need to carefully search the forum

And this is my biggest project so far in SU +KT

[​IMG]

Burnout21 likes this.
  8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

dang that's a nice model, even looks as if you built every single electrical component!

9. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Wow! Can I ask how long that took to model. There's nothing too hard there, but it must have taken forever to get to that stage. That's some serious dedication!

Cudos.

10. bocian

bocian New

Most of the components was ready, completing the elements, corrections and modeling, It took 4 hours

Export to KT, setting the scene, refinement of the materials, seized more than an hour
    Model is not finished yet, missing a few details and bump maps...

Thanks for comments

Small update

ATI Radeon HD5870 , textures a little weak but better than nothing

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Sep 2009
  11. Mick64

Mick64 Dream Modeller

Hi! I'm new to the bit-tech forum, but you might have seen my renders @XS. If not, here's a taste of what you've been missing....:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Oct 2009
  12. stuartwood89

That's nicely detailed. Nice work :D

13. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

nice model, thats for sure, but i think the materials really need some workover ;)

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

not sure why you say that, the case looks as if its all been powder coated, copper actually looks like copper. tubng is pretty dam good.

I suggest you go calibrate your monitor.

15. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

its not the mobo and the cards, but the case itself looks just strange, not real, but maybe that wasnt his aim for the renders.

btw, thanks for the advice burn, i may reassure you, my monitor is in a state which u could certainly describe as "finely tuned to deliver the most adequate color reproduction possible with the given technical restraints", thanks again.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2009
  16. dullonien

First of all, great modelling there Mick64. I think the tubing looks just about spot on, the best I've seen It flows through the case like watercooling tubing does in real life.

Please take the following as constructive critisism: Gotta agree with lenne, it still looks very 'rendered'. To me there looks to be a lack of propper lighting. This in turn means all the colours look very flat, with the red appearing as the same shade wheather between HD's or in plain view. The Black is also one shade of black no matter if it's on the exterior, interior or even on the curves of the case. This wouldn't be true in real life, even if it were powder coated etc. The final little thing I've noticed, is the chrome material looks a bit on the weak side. The watercooling fittings lack any reflections, making them appear as a flat grey colour.

What rendering program are you using by the way?

17. Mick64

Mick64 Dream Modeller

For modelling, I'm using SketchUp. What a great free program! I just love the ease of which you can create a simple object in no time at all.

For rendering I'm using Kerkythea. Another great free program, but a little harder to get your head round. I must admit, I've probably got a great deal more to learn about this program, especially when it comes to lighting and atmosphere!

18. stuartwood89

If you're using KT, then you should try using the MLT (Metropolis Light Transfer) setting to get a more realistic look. It takes a little longer and you don't have to go through all 10,000 passes, just preview like you normally would and click the save button in the preview window once all of the speckles are gone.

With regards to the silver on the WC fittings, if you go to the materials section in the downloads section of the KT website, there are actually three other pages of materials. I didn't realise this until recently because the page numbers are at the top. If you look through you'll see a couple of material packs for metals and glass. I highly recommend you download and use them. For lighting and such, go onto the KT forum, then 'Materials', then finally look for a thread titled '34 Studio HDRIs', then download from the link in the first post. Install the downloaded library in the 'File' menu in KT and apply any of the globals in the 'Insert' menu (I think). Also don't forget to disable the sun in the left pane, as the globals create their own light patterns. This should make an already fantastic looking render look even better.

19. Mick64

Mick64 Dream Modeller

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do use MLT and the renders I have posted are between 100 and 200 passes.

I believe that I have all the materials available on KT website, plus a few that I've created myself. Also, I think I have all the globals that are available as well.

I understand what your saying about some of the materials though. They do look a little flat.

Each time I do a render, I try and improve on the previous one, but there always seems to be something that isn't quite right!

20. dullonien

I would like to add that they are still great renders Mick64, just trying to add some suggestions as to how to improve further. I would recommend creating something a bit smaller and simpler to test materials and lighting on. If you look above, even a few barbs on their own can be enough to test settings and try new things with lighting and materials etc. It will at least mean that you can almost instantly see what does or doesn't make a difference, instead of sitting for ages waiting for something as complicated as you'r case to render.

This is what I've tried doing. The hex bolts I posted a few pages back were just to test a couple of things I needed to improve or learn how to do. One of them was to learn how to create a spiral in AutoCAD, although I think I ended up flattening the threads too much (I didn't want them crisp and pointy). The other was to learn how to use the DOF (depth of field) setting in 3dsMax.