1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Spec me a supercomputer!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejr22, 2 Oct 2009.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

moyo 2k you can't believe you chose that monitor can't believe you didn't choose i7 let alone the best phenom II, you should have a nicer more good looking case.

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

It's not a fail so much as a question of loyalties; notice that he is the self-proclaimed 'AMD Ninja.'

3. 4.54billionyears

4.54billionyears What's a Dremel?

could you please tell which UK e-tailer you will be using so that everyone could make you a shopping cart list from the same site.

4. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

1.) Atleast someone notices the title...
    2.) Lets see you make an i7 rig with HD5870 XFire with 1.5k and not skimp on areas like mobo, case PSU etc...
    3.) The monitor I picked is pretty damn good, if someone can find a negative review of it I wanna be first to know
    4.) 8GB of RAM is more than the likely 6GB anyone trying to build an intel comparison will spec
    5.) I keep telling you people, at higher res the Phenom II can win out on the i7 so here's some evidence
    Why spend £50 extra on a gaming rig on a CPU thats inferior at the resolutions you want to play at (the monitors are 1920x1200)
    And for bit-tech's 2 cents go here - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/04/23/amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-cpu-am3/7 , as the resolution creeps up the Phenom takes over the show

Last edited: 3 Oct 2009
  5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Read your own research, they're not specc'd using the same card

If it was a fair test it might be worth looking at

6. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Hmm, didn't notice that... but it doesn't change anything because with the money you save from the Phenom you could add that on to two HD4870s and get 4890s instead anyway

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

1) 5870 Crossfire is a waste of money right now IMO. I'd rather spend my money on a decent CPU platform than on a GPU where the market is more volatile and viable to sudden changes in price, especially at the moment where we're waiting on nVidia's cards. He'll lose less money if he only has to sell one 5870 rather than two if he decides he wants to upgrade if the nVidia cards turn out to be be much faster.
    2) Besides, one 5870 is enough for most people; it can run pretty much anything at max setting @ 1920*1200. If it was 2560*1600 then it might be a different story.
    3) Heaven forbid he wants to do anything other than gaming, where the i7 would win out almost every time.
    4) The i7 920 D0 overclocks like a beast, and the Phenom II just won't be able to keep up with it once overclocked (notice that the 920 still beats the Phenom II in most tests even though it is clocked far lower - 2.66GHz vs. 3.2GHz - so is much faster clock-for-clock).
    5) You seem to be forgetting that his budget is actually £2500, despite your insistence that it's a waste of money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Intel fanboy, but right now high end pretty much = i7.

8. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Your monitor don't even have a review to beging with. Even LG website links to no reviews, under their "Reviews" product.

Moreover, it's crap. It's a stupid TN panel LCD, 6-bit colors.. so already you missing quiet a few colors. In addition, you have poor view angle, and no vivid colors accurately displayed. The strand and screen frame is glossy making the screen impossible to use unless you close all light and window, else you'll see reflection disabling you to focus doing anything. And the stand is not even high adjustable for a comfortable sitting. Like you need to put packs of paper under the stand to lift it to a proper level. Not very nice looking setup I say. And look at the resolution 1920 x 1080... it's a 16:9 display. 16:9 should be banned world wide. 16:10 is what is interesting with it's 1920x1200, at least you can do work on it, and have a much larger real-estate in your game/work. If you go 16:9, then just buy a TV and plug-it in to your computer. If you want a real computer display 16:10 is required.

The monitor I suggested is a IPS panel, 16:10 (1900x1200), 8-bit panel (110% Color Gamut (typical) and 00% sRGB, 96% AdobeRGB), very wide view angle vertically and horizontally, pivots/rotates/height adjustable, non glossy, has ALL the connection you need: DVI, VGA, Component, Display Port, and HDMI. In addition you have, Picture-in-Picture and Picture-by-Picture Multi-Views, touch sensitive control with easy navigation, and a media card reader.

Similar displays:
    HP LP2475W

Last edited: 3 Oct 2009
  10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

If you going i7 do it properly. I am yet to see an 750/860/870 that can beat my 920. The 870 is twice the price, doesnt OC as well as the 920, and when everything is overclocked etc still costs more for less... Intel are on to a winner there LOL!

Anyway, PM will be sent shortly with nice spec for you. Save posting it on here and having the world tell you its trash when youve been through numerous combinations of cpu + mobo + ram etc so you DO know what the best was because you still have it.... (little rant lol but anywho.. check your pm in the next hour or so.)

Andy

11. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

My bad... mixed it up with the 24" version that received labs winner from PCPro... if I can find it and 16:10 is better quality obviously but the problem is almost all games work in 16:9 and I thought he was building a Gaming Rig and if you think my setup is bad I implore you to spec a better one :)

12. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Don't you think 120GB as a boot drive defeats the point, a drive gunged up with file crap is gonna be slower, why not get a 32GB one and focus it as a boot drive? Save some money too, and as I said - 6gb of RAM, my PSU eats yours for breakfast and I have 2x5870... and Sharn your pretty much right, AMD can't win a speed race so they are focused on bang per buck... I guess that does mean a £1500 out to be i7, so with a sour taste in my mouth I must concede i7 would be better, even if it is a bit slower in games and the drivers for CrossfireX are improving all the time, coupled together with the fact most games support multiple GPUs now and 5870 Crossfire will keep you going for 2-3 years then I don't see why not

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, my comment was just on the monitor. :)
    I thought he was looking for a work/gaming computer. And not just a gaming system.

14. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

This thread has become a therapy group... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
    (the likes as alcoholics anonymous)

15. Sir Digby

Eh?

• You wouldn't get a 32Gb SSD because you're buying a £1500+ computer so you really don't want to have to worry about not filling up your drive?
    • As has been said before, crossfire 5870's is waaay overkill for now. You could buy one now and then just buy a 2nd when you feel the need for a performance boost.
    • If it isn't a workstation build, would there be much loss from 6Gb of memory compared to 8Gb?

Anyhow, we seem to of lost track of the ejr22's wants for the Corsair 800D case and Nvidia 3D vision.

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

No I'm talking about how if you have a dedicated boot drive you want to keep it free of other software, apart from maybe a few key programs, so if your drive fails you can use (Firefox, Windows Live etc...)

120GB would involve installing crapware at one point or another, defeating the point of a boot drive does it not?

17. Sir Digby

Installing a few games would fill 120Gb up pretty quickly.

18. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

i am relatively new to this forum and i noticed this after reading only one of his posts. the guy says he wants 1366 and 3d vision and he justs posts what his idea of a good rig is. i7 dominates!

19. Yourcomputer

Yourcomputer What's a Dremel?

You're seriously arguing it'd be better to get a 32gb ssd vs a 120gb ssd?

20. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Course it would

Save a crapload of cash and spend the remainder on 1Tb Spinpoint F3s :)