1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As much as I hate to say this...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Solidus, 27 Sep 2009.

1. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

I think you'd have found if the tories were in when this crisis hit they'd have us still deep in recession and would have made even greater cuts since tax recipts would have decreased more due to higher unemployment. Lib dems are worth the vote because it takes away seats from the major 2 parties when it is done and gives libs the balance of power on policy making.

I couldn't stand to vote for the continuity of a bland, leaderless and divided labour government which is more akin to a desperate overly self concious teenager that wants to be liked than a government.

I couldn't stand to vote tory for a party that obviously masks its real intentions and would have dole ques twice the length they are now and our bank system gone. A party that is worried about everything but is more happy to let it crumble than to take action.

The liberals well it is best that the Duopoly that the big 2 parties have in government ends and some change appears on the horizon.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm going to vote for the most random party I can find on the ballot paper.

I know it's cliché, but my vote isn't going to make a difference, because I have no idea who wants to do what, and what I do have a vague clue about, they all seem about the same in terms of numbers of stuff I agree with and stuff I don't.

Might aswell have some fun. Without fun I'd be depressed.

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

I am going to vote by leaving the country - to hell with it. Only a matter of time.

4. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

O really so where are you gonna go where they don't have fallible politicians, high living standards, the kind of job you want, the language(s) you speak, friends and familly (the list goes on)

5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I'm planning on voting for none of the above :)

besides which to quote a joke from sickipedia

Q. what do this country and my wifes gentalia have in common?

A. Labours ruined them both. :)

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Guess you'll be abstaining then.

Personally I quite like Brown. I think he's done a good job under the circumstances, and I'm confident that he's an extremely moral man who, as old-fashioned as it is to say, has some pretty solid and respectable values in him. It's his posse I really dislike, or at least some of them. I can't stand Mandelson, and most of the blairites all just need shot. But when I think "Brown or Cameron?" it's not a hard choice for me, clearly Brown would be a more honest, decent leader than the tory pretty boy. That said, I have little confidence in the idea of another Brown government, and would only prefer that in preference to a tory government.

Still having real trouble deciding who I'll vote for. Lib Dem or Labour. I suppose the ultimate would be a Lib-Lab pact with the libs tempering labours crappyness and hatred of civil liberties, and Brown just carrying on doing the decent job he's doing.

7. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Voting anything other than conservative would have the same effect for me, so yes.

8. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I refuse to vote for any party that could tolerate Mandelson anywhere near it. He's not even an elected official and he's swanning all over the labour party like a nasty rash. Couple that with the ridiculous number of laws New Labour brought in to suppress civil liberties and cause the population to fear each other. Quite frankly they can take a running jump in to fast moving traffic.
    Although I think Cameron could actually make a good PM I don't think his party has altered in the last decade and as such offer no advantage to Labour.
    For me the best result would be a hung parliament, with parties willing to listen and work together. So no chance of that then.

9. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

** Vote Nexxo for Prime Minister **

Problem solved!

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Relix for high speaker then?

*edit* holy **** 1000

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I am going to vote for the monster raving loony party again.

Not one of the major parties really has an idea what my generation requires. Dear Generation M (Baby Boomers) I want to divorce you.
    source
    another good take on it

12. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

13. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

To those who choose not to vote in the coming elections, just remember what happened in the Europeon Parliament elections, when the BNP managed to wangle a seat. The same could happen with our elections, and every vote will count that isn't a vote for the far right. I think they may just win a few seats in our parliament due to "protest votes". I wonder how many of those who abstain from voting will be complaining if the BNP do relatively well in the coming elections.

I will be voting Tory, for the first time in my voting history, and I come from a previously staunch Labour supporting family too. Labour put the final nail in their coffin as far I am concerned just this week, with the rash of 'vote appealing' promises at their convention. They really have not got a clue how to make good the mistakes they have made, and half hearted gestures are the last thing this country needs right now.

Right now this country needs a very strong leader, someone who isn't afraid to make drastic changes and see them through. We also need more accountability within our political system. It's a pity that we currently won't be getting these any time in a hurry.:sigh:

14. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

132,000 across the north west to win a euro seat ok, but a parliamentary seat requires 9000- 20,000+ out of 25,000- 50,000+ to get a seat . The euro elections were over the entire north west but over 646 constituencies 930,000 national votes aren't going to win you a seat, their support is too thin spread.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think you need to be wary of "strong leaders" (and "moral men", spec). In the end it is nothing but handing responsibility over to Big Daddy who'll make it all alright. It's the birthplace of Totalitarianism. Check out Hitler's rise following the German people's disgust with an ineffectual Weimar government. Lesson in there somewhere.

People get the government they deserve. The way to turning this country around is not by expecting more from your government but expecting more from yourself. As J.F.K. said: "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." Or if you prefer Ghandi: "Be the change you want to see in the world".

What does this mean? Go out and vote, but realistically, not for some messianic father figure who will solve your problems for you. Be prepared to work for a living. Be prepared to pay your taxes and support those in society less fortunate. Be considerate to your neighbours and tolerant of those who are different. Be prepared to have less and share more; to take responsibility more and abdicate less. No man is an island; you are your society.

This, by the way is aimed at people generally. I know that stuartpb already puts his money where his mouth is more than most.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

17. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Well, I'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever vote conservative, they're just utter scum and I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one, so I'm sticking with labour. The first thing the tories will do is try to privatise more public sector departments...clearly that hasn't worked for the railways or the utilities - sure there are a handful of very wealthy people now, but at our expense. The NHS will fall into disrepair again and our household bills will continue to rise...but oh, we'll pay slightly less N.I. and income tax.

18. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

They may not get seats on bums in the elections, or they may just win some, either way if you don't use a vote then you are only serving to give the minority extremists a better position. If we want to get rid of parties like this, then it will take people getting off their fat arses and bothering to take a trip down the voting stations. Simple as.

@Nexxo, I don't particulary want someone with an iron will etc, I just want someone who is prepared to admit when they are wrong and find real solutions to to real problems, can speak up on Britain's behalf, and will actually listen to public opinion, instead of giving us what their spin doctors are telling them we want. As I said though, can't see that happening any time soon:sigh::D

You sure you can't say the same of Labour? The local NHS authority here in my home town are already considering outsourcing the various departments in our hospitals, due to a £38million shortfall in the coming budget. We have had scandal after scandal with Labour MP's since they won the first general election, and our energy bills have never been higher (iirc). So it definitely isn't all sunshine and roses with Labour, or even anything remotely like it, and that's before we start talking about the current pickle the country is in. (strikes, economic downturn, soldiers being expected to fight with no real support etc. etc.)

EDIT: Also, on the subject of voting abstainers, I would personally call them lazy. I say this because the most common reason I hear from abstainers is 'whats the point, they are all the same'. Well if they took the time to find out more, they would find that themajor political parties may seem the same on the surface, but there are vast differences, which will affect everyone. Even the small differences could have a large impact on the country as a whole. Furthermore, even the personalities of the politicians can also have a dramatic effect on how our country is perceived across the world (think Bush for a great example), and how it is run. It's my pet hate that I hear people bitching about the state of the country, but can't be arsed voting. I sometimes feel like it's a futile gesture too, but I know that forming an opinion and exercising my right to voice that opinion gives me the right to complain when whoever I voted for is doing a bad job. If you can't be arsed voting, learn to suck it up or shut up.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2009
  19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sorry, but those are not the politicians we have been fostering. Admissions of being wrong are called "U-turns" and changing minds as indecisiveness. Public opinion is expressed in making the same stupid voting choices as always. Some people vote: 1. Tory; 2. Labour, because they don't want to vote Tory; 3. BNP out of protest. What message are we giving the politicians here? Either: 1. We want more Conservative politicians (a message New Labour has taken to heart); 2. Carry on as you've been doing (a message New Labour has taken to heart); or: 3. We want totalitarian dictators (a message New Labour has taken to heart).

Nobody votes Lib Dem, of course, because even though they are the only credible alternative they haven't got any leadership experience. As if the parties who do made such a good job of it.

As I said: people get the government they deserve.

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

So why don't we do away with representation by MP's and install voting consoles next to the TV's in every household. After the X Factor, or similar, we could all cast our votes on national issues. We could even use an X Factor style format:D One way to shake the country up!