1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays GF wants to give me a giant Screen. help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vertigem, 3 Oct 2009.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

You mean the 1920x1080 res is just upscaling on these screens? That's pretty garbage.

2. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

If running a 40" as a monitor would mess you up, imagine running 3D on a triple monitor setup.

Try a projector instead of a monitor just pull it back and VOILA!! Chocolat with the girlfriend in stunning HD.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well the majority of those TVs are upscaled, but pretty much any TV that's about 2008 on will have 1080p native. Just make sure to read up on it's specs first before you purchase.

Of course now the market has it's fair share of 1080 native screens, but there's always those few cheaper ones that don't.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

One option may be the Dell UltraSharp 2709W

It's a 27" monitor, but native res of 1920x1200 so it's GPU friendly.

Big screen for gaming... still looks brilliant in Windows for productivity.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2009
  5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

personally i would stay away from using televisions as a monitor. do you have any idea for the input lag, pixel pitch, panel type? all these things are harder to find out with a television. also 1920 at 42" is going to look awful unless you can apply a serious amount of AA.

tbh im constantly dissapointed by the quality of these LCD TV's, go for the Dell 30" and wait for the 5870x2 imo

i have just sent one of these back due to excessive input lag. so laggy i could barely play TF2 never mind UT or quake. you caan feel the mouse dragging on the desktop - not good

6. Pookeyhead

That puts pay to that idea then!

I'd say using a TV is a bad idea also. As Crompers said, you can't get specs on things like input lag, so youve no idea whether it will suck when using twitchy FPS games or not. If you only play MMORPGs etc... it may not be an issue though.

The thought of using Windows for any productivity tasks with a 42" 1920 screen makes me shudder though.

Dell 30" all the way from me.... followed by a GPU upgrade.

7. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Tell us how much that car was worth.

The best solution would be to go for a Panasonic plasma http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...PDP+TVs/TX-P50V10/Overview/2350161/index.html
    and as a bonus you can buy yourself a
    Samsung SM245T for one. Calibrates beautifully. Excellent reviews. You can pick one up for around £380.

Dell 2408WFP - around £365. Decent VA panel with excellent viewing angles, good gamut and superb colours.
    (Pookeyhead contribution)

or a HP LP2475w (my choice)

8. Pookeyhead

A. I think 24" screens are way too small for the original poster, and B. Gaming performance is a priority, so the 2475's 40ms input lag may be an issue. The Dell 2408's 70ms input lag DEFINITELY rules that out (it wasn't a monitor i recommended in THIS thread). It is a great monitor, but not a great choice for FPS gaming.

The only real monitor that fits the bill is the Dell 3008 due to it's size and low input lag.

9. Kyocera

He can game on plasma.

I don't like 30" monitors, that are on the market today.
    Especially not the Dell in question; Tftcentral has written some things about gaming on that (if I remember well);I tried it and it did not get me.

10. Pookeyhead

You can game on a plasma, sure, but 1. how far away are you from it? Without high AA settings it will look awful. 2. Windows will look truly horrible at that size with just 1920x1080.

TVs make crap monitors usually, and if you had read the whole thread you will realise that there are usually no published specs for input lag on TVs... as they're not really designed for that, so it's a bit of a lottery regarding gaming performance with FPS games.

TFT central have never reviewed the Dell 3008.

However, those that have rave about it... and it has almost no noticeable input lag to mention.

If you want a big screen for gaming, I can think of little else to recommend!

What is it about 30" monitors you don't like? Considering this thread is about GIANT SCREENS... saying "I don't like 30" monitors" is not really helpful.

Seriously... I'm starting to think that anything other than a HP 2475 is crap according to you LOL

11. Kyocera

Pookeyhead, you're making the conversation go into extremes.
    I did not label any product as crap.

TFTcentral did a review of the Dell 3007 and gave a look at 3008; I have the file in my PC. Why did they take the review down I don't know.
    Anyway, that Dell is so sluggish, that the only person to rave would be one on a "silver smoke".

A person I know has a big plasma for gaming, and it looks really great; he is also very satisfied.

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

To hell with a monitor, get a HD projector, that way you have a cinema, tv and gaming screen all in one. I have an old one and absolutely love it. From movies, to 4 player GoW2 Hoarde, to TF2 games, beat everything, hands down.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Interestingly I can't really see input lag. Perhaps a bit of tearing and sometimes occasionally, but with a 25ms S-IPS, it's not that visible.

Oh and for the projector, it's a good idea, but it isn't cheap either.