1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Freshers week dont like clubbing

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 5 Oct 2009.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

hey same as me, returning for my final year next week.

what course? halls?

This is where you turn round and say norton court room 336, lol! my old room O doom

the horn in hand on goldsmith street use to be a decent place, haven't been in there for a year mind.

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Now, you realise you have just shot yourself in the foot completely... what music you into and I guarantee I'll be able to point you to several pubs of awesomeness (probably worked a few of them)

And, the crawls they've been taking freshers this year are bloody abysmal.

3. Lorquis

Erk, double post due to non responsiveness... I feel shame.. such... shame...

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Old Kids in the Hall sketch, which thanks to this thread, I now see as a morality play

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Don't force it. Most people will have a drink they like and can put away like no tomorrow.
    Tried spirits?

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you'll find larger will fill you with gas and make you feel ill.

I'm a fussy F**k and only touch ale or if there is no decent beer, i head straight for the single malts and say 'F**K you world!' and drink until they can read the PTO sign on my back.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I found it remarkably easy during my freshers' week at Durham - my college realised there are a few of us that aren't such a fan of clubs and actually put on some things for us too :)
    I realise that doesn't help you much but there must be some other people somewhere that are like you, you just have to find them.

8. Lorquis

If you do not live and breathe every moment in the sal, I might have to call BS...

I used to be all about dog, then went to guiness, now I'm back on dog and other ales... if i'm knocking around at home or at a house party, lager is a pretty ok bet, I can just put away rather a lot of it... and belch my way home!

9. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Yay, you're in Nottingham. Well if you like proper music (ie, not Cascada and stuff like that) then you'll like Rock City on Thursday. Nights called 'tuned' and it's a mix of loads of difference music but mostly rock. Drinks are 2for1 also. In terms of pubs/bars then you really should go to Pit & Pendulum, Old Salutation and Seven. Speaking of Seven, mate of mine runs a monthly glam night there if you're into 80s glam/hair metal :)

10. Lorquis

Flibble: You don't mean Johnny Fangs do you by any chance?

You forgot speakeasy on a thursday, Old angel on tuesdays, tap and tumbler any other time you're skint...

But disclaimer for speakeasy, it's now £1.25 a pint not £1 like it used to be, and it's just as packed... prefere to spend the extra 25p on a pint and go to angel..

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm just starting my second year at uni.

I never went to any of the freshers week events, have never been in a club in my life and don't really intend to, I do drink, but not very often as I'm usually driving.

I say don't worry about it, if you don't like it, don't go.

I suppose its all about why you've gone to university.
    If your going mainly for the uni life, then you'd probs be out all the time.
    If you've gone to get a degree/good education, then I don't see the social/drinking side is much use, apart from wasting money.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

+1

Don't get me wrong, I partied like it was 1999 in my freshers week. Except that that is was far earlier than 1999, and pints cost fractions of a pound and not multiples of a pound. But, don't be a sheep - do your own thing. University is about growing up and 'finding yourself' (to use an awful cliche).

That said, it would be beneficial to put in regular appearances, particularly at the start of the evening when people are still sober. Get your face seen, get to know people and get accepted - if you are earmarked as a loner rather than simply as a non-drinker you will miss out on numerous other things that *are* up your street.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hit the pub/college bar tbh.

15. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Go out and don't drink. Find clubs / bars you like the look of and drag flat mates etc along with you. Dont sit in your room for three years! Find societies that do stuff in the evenings other than get wrecked and join them. CompSoc / Animie / FilmSoc etc? Plenty of social stuff to do at university that doesn't involve beer, although it can help break the ice.

16. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

You'll probably find that once you start your course or get involved in other activities organised by uni/Halls or whatever there are going to be people with a similar mindset to yourself.

Just go out/do what you want when you want for the mo and don't feel pressured into doing stuff you dont want to/don't feel happy doing.
    I would say, give things a go though and try and get involved in as much as you can. At the end of the day if you don't like the party/club or whatever then you can always shirk off

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Just join some clubs instead and meet people that way. Go to the hiking club, the cycling club, the jazz club, the We Hate Clubs club.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sports societies are also a great way to meet folks - the more unusual ones are often more fun too. Proper sports tend to be serious about competing.

For example, the Dodgeball society at Manchester was epic fun; not because they were serious about winning everything, but because it was a great game that everyone could enjoy. We did go out on socials and got hilariously drunk, but it wasn't needed - 50% of the society never went out drinking.

19. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Sigg'd

20. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Alcohol usually works but whether I like a club depends on the scene and who I go with. I have been to some that I hated and some that were great fun. There's even one that I hated when I went with one person but got dragged back with different person and had a blast.

I'm no goth but the most fun I've had was at a goth club. I just try keeping an open mind, try a place before I say no. The yelling was minimal, I didn't hate the music but it's not really my first choice in music either, and the people were entertaining(whether they were trying to or not). Add that in with a couple close friends and it was a good night.