1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Student 'upgrade'

Discussion in 'Software' started by DarkBanana, 3 Oct 2009.

1. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Good 'ol MS is offering Windows 7 for £30 for students but they're calling it an 'upgrade'

Does anyone know if this deal is a proper upgrade (ie you need Windows Vista) or can I install it on my new computer like the prerelease 'upgrade' they were selling awhile ago?

ry@n likes this.
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Microsoft provides you with a RETAIL box of Windows Home Premium UPGRADE or Professional UPGRADE for 30$. The license is the exact same as if you went to the store and buy it there at normal price.

Upgrade requires you to have a previous version of Windows on the system to allow it to convert it to Windows 7. The process of the upgrade exactly is still unknown until October 22nd when Windows 7 will be released. So questions like: "Do I need to have my previous version of Windows installed first?" are unknown for sure. The Box does contain BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7, exactly like the retail full and upgrade store box.

If you have the following Windows version you can upgrade to Windows 7 using the Upgrade disk:
    - Windows 2000
    - Windows XP 32-bit Home/Professional/Media Center
    - Windows XP 64-bit Professional
    - All editions of Vista 32 and 64-bit
    - all edition lower that the edition you purchase of Windows 7. (ie: to allow you to upgrade edition of Win7).

I believe that the end result from using Windows 7 Upgrade over a clean install will be the same, assuming that your previous version of Windows doesn't have a corrupted registry, driver conflict, and never was infected with spyware, malware or viruses of any kind.
    The reason for this is that if you have Windows 2000 or XP, the Upgrade disk will perfect a clean install (I don't know if your files will be transferred), while the upgrade is for Windows Vista which uses the same kernel architecture, therefore upgrading will not show any errors or problems. Of course, I am only assuming here, using logic.

3. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

There's 2 options on the site accessible with a link from an .ac.uk address - Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional. Both are £30, download only. You can have a copy of the disc shipped as well for an extra £9, but it looks as if you can transfer it to a flash drive and boot from there (apologies if this's old news but I missed out on the RC) to avoid having to install to a partition. Seeing as the retail proce for Pro is about £150, that looks like a pretty good deal to me! I've pre-ordered Home from Tesco but will probably put that on one of the kids pcs and use Pro for my main rig.

EDIT: Just looking at the Wiki entry for Windows 7, it says that the Home Premium can be installed on up to 3 pcs. Does anyone know if this is really the case, and if the same applies to Pro?

Last edited: 3 Oct 2009
  4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's the Family Pack, which comes with 3 upgrade-only licenses for ~£150. So it'll be cheaper than buying them separately at retail prices, but if happened to pick up a few full retail versions at the pre-order price then it's not such a good deal.

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thats a great find, thanks very much for the link - Im on vista at the moment but have heard windows 7 is worth having (even though I do love vista ;)).

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just incase you don't know.

If your a student, and your place of study is enrolled in MSDNAA, you can get Win7 Premium for free through that.

7. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

+ rep, ordered. Thanks!

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

+1, Check up on this before you part with any cash, I had to chase this up as they are enrolled in MSDNAA but it seems no one has ever used it.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

The student offer kicks arse, it was in the news a while back, so I ordered as soon as it was online :eek:

And cancelled my £90 preorder from PC World ;)

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

confirmed

I've had way more issues with the retail version than last spring's beta version however for some reason ... it's pissing me off

11. SDG

SDG What's a Dremel?

The microsoft student deal

Iv been looking at this for a day or two but i have a few issuses.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

This looks like a good deal.

first question-When its say windows 7 upgrade does that mean i have to have have a working windows version already (xp in my case) installed or can i just format and install like normal?

Second question-Does this have a install limit?

Third question-The office ultimate offer, when i buy that is there a install limit?

Sorry if this is a repost but i couldnt find the answer in the formus.

Thanks inadvance

Dave

12. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

Yeah I also want to know if I have to install Vista before windows 7 everytime I format my PC.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It sounds like it's an upgrade, although I'm not sure if you can simply recycle the key on a full version or not.

If you can only use it on the upgrade version it will be a total ballache to do... I don't really have space to be keeping images about for next time.

14. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if anyone has successfully managed to place an order for the Windows 7 Professional edition version through this offer?

The reason I ask is because my brother is a student and he got an E-Mail to his University E-Mail address with a link where he could go and place the order but he said there was only the option to purchase the Home Premium version even though it said "You can also choose to buy Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for £30, however this may require you to perform a clean install. Please refer to the FAQ's. for more details" He checked the FAQ's and that doesn't mention anything about it so I was hoping someone here could let me know if they found a link to purchase the Professional version on that Student offer site.

He's E-Mailed the customer support on the site but no ones got back to him yet.

Thanks.

15. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Two copies too, 32bit and 64bit; both Professional.

EDIT: Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many copies you can buy on the offer?

16. Krikkit

Merged the two threads. Does anyone know if the upgrade key is valid for a clean install?

17. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

I read somewhere that you can buy a maximum of 2 copies of each version Home Premium and Professional, one 32 bit version and one 64 bit version.

18. Krikkit

Well I've put the order in for my copy, for better or worse. Apparently it's only a 3GB download so that's not too bad.

19. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

any real difference between Professional and Ultimate?

20. SDG

SDG What's a Dremel?

I just need to know, can i install this over xp. or more importantly can i install this on a new clean hard drive