1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Student 'upgrade'

Discussion in 'Software' started by DarkBanana, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Akava

Akava Lurking...

As for installing it on a clean HD; I wouldn't have thought so, as it is an upgrade after all. How ever, I would imagine that you could always install a copy of XP or something without registering it, then just install 7 over it; don't quote me on that though.

2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

hmms, im no longer a student, but i still have an ac.uk address :)
    quite tempted by the pro edition

3. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

To clear up a few points:

Yes, I've ordered the Pro version and had it confirmed.

Too late, I just quoted you! I've just reinstalled an upgrade version of XP onto a clean drive, and when it got to the 'checking previous versions of Windows' stage, as it couldn't find one on the hard drive, it asked me to put a qualifying CD in the drive (which in my case was an old copy of Win 98). After checking this CD, it carried on with the XP install. Installation of Win 98 to install XP over wasn't required. If they did this for XP, it stands to reason they'll do it for Win 7.

As far as I know you can buy one copy per *.ac address with this scheme. Other points raised are that Home can be installed over another OS, whereas Pro may require a clean install.

I've got this as well (through the SABS scheme) and I don't think there is. Put it this way, I've got it installed on 3 PCs at the moment (all mine, nothing dodgy!) and it hasn't caused any problems.

Hope this helps.

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

I purchased the ultimate steal office deal last year, and the license at that time specifically allowed for installation onto 1 desktop and 1 laptop. Well, thats what i remember it saying anyhow...

5. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Thanks for replying,

How did you go about ordering the Pro version then, as like I said there isn't a link on the site when my brother logs in to select the Pro version, it says he can order the Pro version "You can also choose to buy Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for £30, however this may require you to perform a clean install. Please refer to the FAQ's. for more details" but nowhere does it show a link for the Pro version when he logs in, only the Home Premium version of Windows is visible to order, he can select Home Premium and it tells him he can order a backup DVD for an additional £9 if he wants, do you have to select the Home Premium version then change it to Pro later on in the order process?.

Also where did you see the link to buy the Pro version?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

After you click the link in your email, it takes you to a login page (which sorted itself automatically for me), then on the next page it's all about home premium, there's a yellow bar underneath about if you need to join a domain at your university, with a link to the Pro page.

7. Ravenheart

Great stuff,

Thanks Krikkit, I'll let him know later on today when I speak to him.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Not really for home a PC. All you have is bit-drive encryption.
    For business level, meaning when you set your computer on a domain, you have a little more. See comparison chart:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

9. Ravenheart

Almost forgot,

But if you don't need to join a domain at university, you can still purchase the Pro version via the link to the Pro page can't you?

Cheers

10. damienVC

When you log on to the site via the e-mail sent to the qualifying address, under the main graphic of the Win 7 box is a yellow backed box which says 'Need to join your university’s network domain? You can also get Windows 7 Professional for £30.00 Click here' It's in the bottom third of the page

Clicking the link opens up a window enabling you to select Windows Pro 7 for £30.

A few other bits I've just checked. They are full retail versions (not acamedic cut down ones), you must be in a course with 0.5 credit minumum, one of each product is the maximum purchase and finally, the information below shows how to apply without an *.ac address:

Upload a digital scan of one of the following with your name on it using the link here:

◦Student ID card
    ◦Class list
    ◦Proof of course payment

Hope this helps.

11. Ravenheart

Yeah that helped a lot, thanks Damien.

12. Ravenheart

Well my brothers successfully ordered it now and he's had a confirmation E-Mail saying he's Pre-Ordered Product Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Disk Kit, but I'm assuming he will receive the product key later on via E-Mail? Or will it actually be on the Disk Packaging when it arrives? As no key was included in the confirmation e-mail.

13. Akava

Akava Lurking...

He'll more than likely get it on the release date with the ISO / Disk.

14. damienVC

When the product is released for download, there should be a further e-mail with the link. This e-mail should contain the product key - at least that's what I'm hoping! The web site says that the product key is available in the confirmation page and the confirmation e-mail - but all I've got so far is an order number, no product key. I'm fairly sure it'll be on the page which the download will be on.

Glad to see you got yourself sorted out with the Pro version. I only went for Pro as it was a better bargain, and the tight wad in me said go for it. I also got the Home version off of Tesco for £45 as well, so will probably sell that one on or install it on one of the kid's computers.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Agreed - it sounds like there's an extra email/page for us pre-ordering peeps to see yet.

16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Hmm, I was going to buy this, but it appears that I get Win7 for free on MSDNAA.

17. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Clean install without product key then in place upgrade with product key should still work.

If you install from within legacy windows you can choose a custom install, which is a clean install without format and creates the Windows.old folder.

18. SDG

SDG What's a Dremel?

One final question before i say sod it and buy windows 7 prof. It comes up with an opotion for 32bit or 64bit. I thought the windows 7 came with both the version? If not which should i go for conisdering i have a quad core intel q6600. If heard that the 64bit OS are always pluaged with bugs and generally no support with drivers

19. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Only in the beginning for Windows XP x64. Since Vista third party driver support is much better.

20. SDG

SDG What's a Dremel?

SO you would say that the 64bit version is the one to go for?