1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Retailers: "PSPgo will fail miserably"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Hmmm i've never heard of "chips" and always thought "game" was the uk's biggest games retailer. Whoever he is he sounds like he knows what he's talking about and i'm pretty sure his prophecy will turn out to be absolutely correct.

3. CardJoe

Chips is the largest independent store. Game is part of a conglomeration. Game, Blockbuster and GameStation are all part of the same company.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Maybe the PSPgo will catch on in 18 months or 2 years? <cough>PS3</cough>

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sony really need to make this a phone, its the right form factor, give it a touch screen and sell it via Network providers discounted like the iPhone, even with phone tech added it shouldn't be too expensive, probably be cheaper than an iPhone as it'd be using quite old tech now.

This would mean people can buy it cheap (with cell provider discounts) and get the games through network providers forgoing the whining retailers all together, retail needs to wake up, Both MS, Sony and I'm sure Nintendo will follow with this digital future vision they are all pushing for to increase profits, the retailers will ultimately be left out to dry.

It won't quite work for PS3/Xbox yet as infrastructure is not really there but handhelds are ideal, won't be long for home consoles though, the next generation perhaps.

6. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Argh, enough with the quotes from Don McCabe. We get it. He doesn't like the PSPgo because he can't make money selling games for it.

7. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

It's already started matey, you can now download full, proper games for your Xbox 360 through the Xbox Live Marketplace!

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sure you can also do this on the PS3 but the games offered are often tailored for delivery, no more than a few Gb at a time, most games are a lot bigger and getting bigger, you don't want to wait forever for your game to come down after you've bought it, you want it that day and within 30mins to an hour otherwise its convenience is lost.

For example Siren Blood curse is a 10Gb download on PSN that's not really a suitable download size for most people on the average UK ADSL connection, they get around it by letting you download episodes, not all games can be split like that and not all games as mentioned are that small.

You need really fast connections and lots of storage for this to be workable on a proper console.

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

So he thinks he cant make any money on games because they can only be purchased from the PSN store and therefore cant bundle games.

What rubbish, Sony are releasing game cards.

For example a God of War card, the retailer can stock the cards. The cards have a code to download that specific game. Just like there have been some 360 games addon content cards.

Sony have just replaced the physical disc and box thats sits on the shelf for a piece of card. Im sure they will get those cards at the same price as a physical game from their distributor.

[​IMG]

On another note, it didnt take china long to pirate the PSPgo lol

http://chinagrabber.com/4-3-slide-panel-retro-gamer-game-mp5-player-w-camera-mp4---pxp-2000.aspx

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Oct 2009
  10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Which is still a load of rubbish because you're not paying for the physical content yet you're paying the same price for the game.

11. mikeuk2004

No, actually your paying for a licence, how it comes does not effect the price. It should, but it doesnt.

You dont own that shiny disc, check your user agreement.

Anyhow, if retailers have cards, it gives us consumers some choice and a chance to get a discounted price compared to the PSN. Retailers will be able to sell titles as a loss leader etc which is good for us :)

12. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

US law says different certainly, even though all EULA's say your paying for a license, as has just been shown in a recent court case, as for the UK well, don't know if anyones attempted to argue with it.

13. CardJoe

But why would you go to a store to buy a card to take home to use online? Unless it's cheaper in the store, you'd just buy it online. Newsflash: It won't be cheaper in the store.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd much rather have physical media than it on a HDD in the PSPgo, what would happen if you lost all the data in the HDD, then do you have to rebuy all the games you had on there?

15. mikeuk2004

For the same reason why people buy xbox live points cards instead of getting the MS points through the Dashboard. Not everyone has a credit card, and kids spending their pocket money certanly dont. Yes it can be cheaper as with any other retial product if the store wishes to sell it cheaper.

Anyhow, it appears to be only the USA thats getting the cards which currently stands at 10. Probably be a wile before they appear int he UK.

Nope, you just re-donwload it from your PSN account at no additional cost.. In addition you can back your psp games up on your PC or any storage media if you fear of loosing it. Something I can not do with my 37 xbox live games though :( But I can still re-download them from my Xbox Live account :)

Last edited: 7 Oct 2009
  16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I still don't like not having physical media

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

with amazon now selling PSN content, I dont see it failing. I see it starting the digital transition though.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

PSN and Live cards can be found cheaper online, its no different really to what I did with HL2 when I think about it got the game cheaper than steam through normal retail channels and used the code to register and download it via steam so I didn't need the disc to play on my laptop. No need for the disc, could just as easy be a voucher, I've never reinstalled with the disc, nor paid any attention to the manual.

So I can see that work so long as retail discounts in a similar manner, discounts on PSN don't happen a lot :( so it had better.

I'd rather have the disc (dirty habit :) ) but if digital download is cheaper the I have no objections to it, I bought Burnout digitally as the price had parity with retail and I could have it when I wanted it.

19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Do you like paying £20 for Bioshock? WOULD you pay £20 for it if you can get it for less than £10 elsewhere? And that is what's wrong with Digital downloads. Where's the competition? T_T

20. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

I most certainly do not like having my choice severely restricted, no.

I do think it's great that they can offer it though but until everyone is on 50meg connections, the latest games are not going to be accessible to the masses.

Services like Steam for the PC are fantastic (if dearer than buying physical copies) but we're a long way off them being the 'norm'.

My original post was merely pointing out that this practice is already a lot more common place than some might realise.

Steve

Tags: Add Tags