1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to get an anodized look, without anodizing?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by m0ng0lh0rde, 10 Oct 2009.

1. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde What's a Dremel?

I'm looking at possibly painting my Coolermaster Stacker, and what I'd like to do, is give the side and top an anodized looking finish. But, I'm a cheapskate, and I don't want to actually pay to have it anodized.

I did paint the grill on the side panel with Dupli-Color Metalcast red, which looks quite good, and has put up with some abuse, without chipping. What I'd like, is to go with a red / black theme. Primarily black, with red accents. Problem is, Dupli-Color doesn't have a black Metalcast, the closest they come is "Smoke," which looks like a medium grey.

Any suggestions?

I know I could go with a "normal" black enamel paint, but I like the looks of the Metalcast.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Someone call me?

I just read a log where MNPCTech used SEM self-etching black primer to get a flat black similar to an anodizing he did.
    Getting transparent black to not look gray is difficult. Have you tried multiple coats?

3. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Try heat resistant paint.

Paint it
    Bake it
    Sand it.

4. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde What's a Dremel?

I've not even started painting the side yet, I figured I'd see if I could do what I want, first.

I also did some checking, the two side panels are aluminum, so if I wanted to spend the $$$ I could likely get them anodized, but the top of the case is likely steel. Used a magnet, it ignored the side panel, but grabbed the top.

Time to go to the auto parts store, and look around.

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You could try bluing the top steel.