1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD ATI Radeon HD 5770 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Oct 2009.

1. Geoff x

Geoff x What's a Dremel?

Ebuyer are now listing 5770s starting at £111.

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

They have however got the protected audio path and combined with their low noise and power could be good for a HTPC that does the odd bit of gaming.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

That's much closer to where it should be, I think. Hopefully over the next few days, we'll see the 5770 prices settle down to £110 at max and at that point it'll be a better proposition.

The 5750 is just over £90, which might make it an interesting option - we'll have to see how it performs. :)

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, no denying that... as an HTPC card, it's likely going to be pretty good, but why wouldn't you just opt for the 5750 instead if you're only going to do 'a bit' of gaming? :)

5. Geoff x

Geoff x What's a Dremel?

CCL are now listing two 5770s. One, a "CCL choice", is £110, but it appears to be underclocked compared to the £122 Sapphire.

6. Geoff x

Geoff x What's a Dremel?

Regarding the previous comment, I forgot that CCL prices are ex. VAT.

7. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

nice review , but where's overclocking?

8. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I don't understand what AMD is thinking. New gen mainstream parts shouldn't be out performed by last gen performance parts
    they should have made it's performance equal to or a little better than the 4890.

what?

Last edited: 13 Oct 2009
  9. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Seems like 6 / 10 is bout right for the price it's started at.
    Don't change your attitude about scoring Tim, even if I didn't agree would rather have what I viewed as honest opinion over catering to what might benifit Bit-tech exposure. And that route would only hurt in the long run. Course I'm just voicing what you already know.
    I can't see where anything over performance of 4850's is revelant. To me that is an overpriced card as well. The 4870 still seems best bang for buck till prices come down. Then the power savings might have more revelance for the performance hit compared to the 4870. Course DX11 may change my opinion but that's future talk and always iffy ground with computer stuff.
    Or even better; 5850/5870 prices come way down for us commoners.

10. doobystew

doobystew What's a Dremel?

"What isn't clear, is whether Juniper is the Turkish or Greek half of Cypress, though. (Groan - Ed.)"

I liked it...

11. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Because Scan love to rip-off people on pre-order prices.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

My comment was directed at both cards!

13. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Negative honest review > False positives.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

you save electric bill. Yippee. ( mine isnt above £30 a month).

truthfully if electric is a big problem you wouldnt leave a pc on all day and every day. Things get turned off for a reason.

This card is just plain old suck, direct x 11 we have seen nothing off. But its gonna give 10 fps. And dont most of the new features require a fair bit of grunt to go with them. Which this card doesnt have. ( im no nvidia fan, Never owned there cards in a while) So its either £300 or £90 as the market stands. Thats some massive price gaps between cards.

15. nicktg

nicktg What's a Dremel?

Memory bandwidth really lets this card down. A 192bit bus would have been nice, many gamers would prefer that to many of the current features.

16. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

Wow, it's like bit-tech is reading my mind. i ttoaly agree with the RAM bottleneck, the gap between 5770 and 5850 being too big and the 5770 being at least okay, if the price is right. The problem is that i need a new graphics card, since my 7900 GTO is SERIOUSLY running out of steam on my 24''. The 5770, at least with the rumoured 192 bit bus, seemed a really nice choice. But now it's not such a good idea. A 5850 is more or less out of the question since then i'd also need a new PSU (i have a 420 W Tagan with no PCIe plugs) and prolly a completely new PC (E6750 with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM). What to do, what to do...

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Nice article as usual. Looks like a similar situation as with the 4770. By the time stock turned up, the 4850 was just as cheap and better value for money. Still, i would expect to see this retailing for around £90-£95 in a month or so.

18. BohleyK

BohleyK Cinnamon Life FTW

What I got from this review is that its a less power demanding 4850 with a bit more performance. I think the rating is fair as its pretty much a 4850 with DX11 capabilities.

19. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

it might be a nice idea to put the price of each card next to the card's name in the benchmark results so we can see if there's much point paying much more or if a cheaper card outperforms a pricier one etc

20. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

Bit gutted, expected these to be the obvious upgrade for my 4670 but... meh.

Seems we were spoilt by the 4xxx series.

Tags: Add Tags