1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 1st Dream PC unveiled - the Beast Cerberus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 14 Oct 2009.

1. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Ahh, but you forget, when it comes to electronics (PC Hardware in particular) current exchange rates mean JACK ****.

I dont know who decides to charge us europeans so much more, but i'd really like to find out.... and pay them a visit.

EDIT: And yes, it's a bad murdermod clone, something that has been done to death already. Not impressed personally. Now the Amari XCP, that was a dream PC imo.

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Umm the gfx waterblocks are all linked together? Won't the top/middle cards get no cool water? These companies should be banned from defrauding people - waste of money.

3. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i'm not too impressed either to be honest, murdermod looks nicer, and there's a whole slew of more 'must have, mods out there, and as for linking the blocks...well it may be the norm but it sure is rubbish for cooling the second or third components in a rig, and it's about time someone mentioned it (p3n..Well done that man )

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Ehhh, what? How can you not support uploading larger files? :eyebrow:

Anyway: Another example of over-priced highest-of-the-high-end PCs.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

no the water blocks are all connected in an line, i thought it was strange loop at first but as long as thay are low flow blocks (lets water through slow i think its called low flow) the limited water flow of each water block will alow same amount of water to get all cards, so water will get to the top card the due to the water block

6. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I can build something better with less money. ;-)

7. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Yep, that was an awesome machine!

8. Jejking

Jejking Who's the man?

If you mean ''newer'' with better, then you should check the availability of the ATi Radeon HD5xxx when this rig was built ;)

Nevertheless, a cool machine (literally) but it needs something extra. A bit of windows and a light in the case for example. More pics available?

9. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

Sorry but its face has been totally destroyed by those gates. What the hell are the gates for? Are they an ... undead floppy drive?! sitting next to an USB + sound panel? Sorry but a "Miss World Of Computers" shouldn't have such a normal look!:eyebrow:

10. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

Hard to believe that such a high end machine is depending on an onboard RAID controller. If it's going to be so powerful, why not add a real RAID card.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

YouTube HD is too wide for bit-tech's current page design.

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Personally i'm waiting to see what scan do this year.

We've had snake and shark, hmmmm.......spider ?

13. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I think it is a very nice and simple looking pc. The front to me is appealing in that it is simple. Not much more I can say about it though.

14. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Its a nice looking pc, It's is clean and tidy and has some nice hardware, but the fact remains that it just isn't a dream pc.

It lacks certain qualities namely the "OMFG what is that?" factor.
    when you look at it you say, "nice pc" when you should be saying "F*** me!"

that is the basis that Seperates it from a dream pc.

now a 920 is a serious piece of hardware, but it isn't the most technologically advanced.
    This pc isn't innovative it's been seen before definitely. not much creative effort here.
    eye catching? yes in a way, but not in the way it should. the price is an eye catcher though. lol

It is seriously fast, so okay to that one, but im sorry this isn't amazing looking. just nice looking.

/rant

15. NoMod

NoMod What's a Dremel?

***Cough*** Murderbox ***Cough***

Looks nice n all, but why would anyone buy this copy when you could just buy an original...?

Not very 'Dream PC' worthy, doesn't make me go "oooohhhh that's clever" like Scan's Great White last year, now that was nice :) can't wait to see what the Scan guys come up with this year to compete with Charles, sorry, Beast...

16. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

i prefer mine tbh

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Good point. There's a whole bunch of PCs in the modding section that would TOTALLY qualify as dream PCs :D

18. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

For everyone commenting on being able to build the same for less money, I'd like to make an observation. For a company building a computer, the costs are as follows:

Components
    R&D Time
    Build Time
    Overheads
    Admin Staff
    Risk
    Support time
    Profit

Of those, most people only factor in the first one. They don't take into account things like if they bugger things up with a bad loop that it will have invalidated a shed load of warranties.

There are a lot of costs that a business has that simply don't occur for an individual building for themselves.

19. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

I do agree with all the above but there is another point that you did not consider here.

Dream pc is not just a catalog for that latest computer system that you are selling to the masses.

Dream pc is a huge publicity stunt that showcases not your system, but your abilities to build something unique and original. thus bringing in clients.
    Some of the Pcs on dream pc cost $30,000+ (i admit that might be a huge amount for some companies and nothing for others).

So if you are not willing to make the effort to build something awesomely amazing(by splashing out large amounts of creativity more than actual money) that will reap you huge amounts of rep, then maybe this competition is out of your league.

I mean this would be a nice pc for sale and i can agree with all of the above in that case, but this is not the same thing here

:edit: i seem to be off subject to thecherub's comment, sorry(kinda tired today). But what i said still holds true.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2009
  20. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

I'm not sure about this but thought I'd seen a murderbox with two GPUs in series with the CPU and they know what they're doing. I think that the way it works is that once the system's up and running as long as you're throwing enough heat out of the rads the placement of the components doesn't matter too much as the system achieves a state of equilibrium with the coolant being close to the same temperature all around the system. This is due in part to the fact that not all the coolant actually flows as you'd expect it to, you get turbulence through the links, kinks and junctions which helps to spread the heat across the cooling system.

Tags: Add Tags