1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays TN+Film or IPS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 15 Oct 2009.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Specific enquiry. Please read through before saying "lal IPS r better unles ur poor".

I'm still gaming at 1024*768, which for a rig of this standard is apparently comparable to criminal neglect, so I need a new monitor. 21.5-22" wides are perfect in my experience, so I'm presented with a choice between Viewsonic's VX2260WM, which comes highly recommended by BiT, and Dell's 2209WA E-IPS. £138 and £216 respectively.

The decision is difficult because I don't know which would yield better quality-per-£: the Viewsonic has a great review, and sounds awesome, while the Dell has no review and no credibility but is an IPS panel. I don't know if that technology alone guarantees a far superior product - I'm presuming you get shoddy IPS panels as well as good ones.

Thoughts? Direct experience would be particularly useful, if anyone's got/had the Dell.

2. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

It's not about quality, It's about what a certain technology offers.

viewsonic is one of the best TN.

Dell has an IPS.

You can't compare two such different monitors.

The only thing comparable is technology.
    go to www.tftcentral.co.uk and read.

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

It depends on a few factors, if you move about a fair bit while gaming and/or quality is an issue (colours and sharpness) I'd go IPS, otherwise just get the Tn

I've gone and done a bit of reearch as well, the 2209 is avaliable on ebuyer for £200.88 with free delivery, it's a bit cheaper then Scan, so there's £20 off the price instantly =]

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Surely you jest? The internet is FULL of raving about the 2209WA. One only has to peek over at [H]ard or AT to see that everyone is going ga-ga over it.

Here's a short list of decent reviews, and a GREAT review from that very list. There's a chap two floors up in the dorms who has one. Makes my 19" TN look like CRAP. If the Viewsonic is 25% better than my own monitor, then the Dell is 75% better.

Since you're a gamer, you'll be pleased to know that the Dell eIPS has input lag comparable to any TN monitor, so it's relly a no-brainer - go for the 2209WA.

5. boiled_elephant

Aha. Thankyou :)

Buying this week. Going from an 8-year-old 15" TFT to that thing is gonna be like ****in' Revelations.

6. Kyocera

If you're taking Dell surely. :D :D
    IPS monitors are a real eye candy

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

don't see the difference to be honest. comparing my Samsung T240 TN to LG L245WP P-MVA.

well, apart from viewing angle. everything else looks very similar, colour also looks more vibrant on my TN.

8. boiled_elephant

Damn the inevitable contradictory reports of the internet! Still, Dell IPS it is. Ordering now. Eeeeeee!

/dance

9. wyx087

but i did go through calebration on my monitor and my friend said he just pluged and play.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

TN monitors have "brighter" colors, but for me it's actually painful to look at it..

Go with the Dell, or hunt for a used IPS on Ebay. Be warned though, input lag on older models are pretty bad.

11. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

IPS is the greatest thing ever.

12. boiled_elephant

I won't be able to clarify this until tuesday now because ebuyer is a piece of steaming ********. Its payment system, I mean. You have to ship to the billing address for first orders. Great idea, dipshits! That's perfect for me as a student, who moves house every 7 months and on intermittent weeks!

So of course, I eventually changed my address with my bank (after failing constantly through repeated attempts trying to iron out alternate possibilities). Then it failed another two times because one line in the address was in a different place on my bank's records to my shipping address. So what should have been here today, will be here on tuesday. I hate credit cards.

/rant

13. Kyocera

Not each of us is equally sensible to same things; some love peanuts, others are allergic to them.

For me TN are terrible because when I move my head I always notice the brightness shifting and colours becoming lighter, darker,...

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I agree.

However, there are some seriously good VA panels out there. People always talk about IPS vs. TN... they seem to forget VA.

15. Kyocera

I verified the prices of the PVA panels 2 days ago in the UK (especially the monitors you gave me then) and they are now much more expensive than the Dell or HP ones.

????

16. wyx087

that LG monitor? my housemate is going to sell it next year, should i try to get it for £300?

17. Kyocera

No, for 300GBP buy yourself the new 23" NEC; EA231WMi.

Or Viewsonic VP2365wb (it should be even cheaper).

:) :)

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Wow.. looks like the writings on the wall for VA then. If IPS panels are becoming as cheap as, or cheaper than PVA panels.. looks like it will be a two horse race between budget TN panels, and IPS.

Not that this is a bad thing!... just surprising.

19. Kyocera

These days it is hard to be surprised at just anything; look at the DDR3 prices; from 80GBP we are now at 112GBP; the SSD prices have gone up for 30-40GBP for new merchant orders (128GBP).

One wants to vomit.

And the 5850 and 5870 prices??? (compared to rendered framerates)

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I have a Samsung 2253BW at home and 2 x HP LP 2275W at work. I really want to steal the work monitors now that I've seen the difference myself.

And that's TN+ vs. eIPS, just for those who don't know. :p