1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 5870 or wait for Fermi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 11 Oct 2009.

1. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

+1.

At first I thought his post would have some good information (he started with such authority!), but by the end of his numbered bullet points I knew it wasn't true :duh:

Bullet points 1 and 2 both say ATi has the best cards on the market right now, but he advocates waiting for Fermi because... his GTX 280 was better in Crysis (TWIMTBP, remember) than a 4870.

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Alright you guys, I plan on buying this Sapphire 5870 when newegg gets some stock on Tuesday. Anything wrong with Sapphire (as I've never owned an ATI card)? And can anyone confirm that Windows 7 will be fine with an ATI and a nVidia card before I buy it?

3. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Sapphire are great. I speak from experience, I owned a Sapphire X1950Pro Agp, which gave me two and a half years of sterling service without a hitch. Even managed to sell it on for £50 after that time.

Can't see any reason why Win 7 would be disagreeable when it came to the HD5870.

I reckon you're making a good choice.

Enjoy!

4. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

+1 earlydoors.

5870 + win 7 = WIN :)
    simple maths :)

I might well ditch my current system and vista-ulti-64 and go for an i7+5870+win7
    I get some cash at the end of the month, I'll decide then.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2009
  5. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Alright well I had a quick google search and people on the guru3d forums seem to say that there IS a way to have an ATI card as your main, with a nVidia card as a secondary and still be able to use PhysX in Windows 7. So that answers my question about ATI and nVidia not playing nicely together.

My last question is whether the 6pin to 2xMolex connectors that come with a GPU, I can just use a molex cable and plug them straight into my PSU without any problem right?

And I'll be posting in here Tuesday if I buy the card, and then again with opinions and such once I get the card, in case anyone is interested.

6. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

@Trig, Ok so you got me on spelling. I unfortunately am a poor speller (and am using a new build with win7 and haven't found a spell checker yet).

So being bad at spelling invalidates my point's dous it (i say cheap shot mate).

just so you know I'm not new i'm just from custom pc forums and decided a new moniker was needed.

@Klutch I promise you mate everything I wrote is true (apart from the parts where I do admit [if read propperly] that I am speculating). I own a fairly nice soapbox of a mashine, Q9650 asus stricker 2 extreame,8 gig of corhair dominator ddr3 mem,2xbfg gtx280,galaxy 1000w psu, 2xspinpoint f1 hdd + 2crucial m225 ssd (when they arrive lol) ,blue ray dvd.

All housed in coolermaster cosmos shassis and cooled via duel H20 loops using 120.3 fesser rad and 120.1 fesser rad.

I dont run my cpu overclocked as i don't really need to atm but I clocked my q6600 to over 4ghrtz, and my new cpu upto about 3.5 (but it had more to go)

My cpu temp iddle temps are usually about 1 or 2 degrees above room temp (currently about 26c) and never got above 36c.

I play crysis on max (directx10) with 8xq AA and 16 AF....i could go on,,,,,,, but

Clearly I have no idea whatsoever about building complex high end computer's??? lol

But seriosly klutch, the only reason I said what i said was to try and help you out mate, and my advice stands. {edit* esp as you allready have an investment in nvidea hardware}

If you can wait, wait no one yet knows how good the fermi cards will be so you could buy a 5870 and then be like damn I wish i had waited either because priceses drop on the 5870 or the nvidea cards end up being better. (dont forget currently amd/ati has the market to itself so it can charge what it wants for its hardwair)

If you cant wait sure the 5870 is the best card atm,alltho it wount work with your nvidea cards for phs x without using a hacked driver . =(

or get a cheap second hand 280 or 260 gtx to tide you over till either prices drop on 5870 or nvidea wins (wich i dunno how likely it will be this time as nvidea seams to be getting into some prob's of late.)

Edit * and just so you know i'm not talking s$$t in bullet point 2 let me quote to you from this very site

"As we’ve seen from the performance numbers, the Radeon HD 5850 is a solid match for the GeForce GTX 285, beating the top end Nvidia card in some circumstances and falling behind in others, with the end result being a rough stalemate between the two cards across the board. It’s perhaps a shame that ATI hasn’t taken the opportunity to perhaps push this card a little harder and thus comprehensively outclass the GTX 285 though. It leaves the two cards in direct competition, although the Radeon HD 5850 does have a few aces up its sleeves to counter Nvidia's current single GPU heavyweight."

Know do you get it? trig?

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

but when you overclock the 285gtx you can get speeds which will absolutly smash the 5850

8. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Aye, but a couple parts were worth a chuckle.

I know this addressed to trig, but get what? It ties the 285, is beaten by last generations dual gpu cards and it's big brother. Show me a newgen card that has beaten a last dual gpu card at it's launch.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The inherent problem is this. You can't realistically expect a 200% performance bump over the current generation. As it stands the HD5870 and HD5850 have beaten their older selves the HD4870/4850 by quite a bit, over about 80%.

Now of course it would be nice that the HD5870 blew the GTX295 and the GTX285 into the fire but if you just look at something simple like perhaps the Die size, you'll realize that the HD5870 is pretty tiny compared to the GTX285.

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

true...

anyway...i've learned that taking the time to point out his/her errors and how they relate to what has been posted in his/her thread is a waste of time. when they have long, drawn out responses like that, typically indicate they cant be reasoned with, or incapable of admitting he/she has no idea what they are talking about in relation to this thread. pretty much full of themselves...which at times we can all get that way.

dude, just read the thread, if you can't see where your responses make no sense, then oh well...i have nothing more to say to you about it...

11. hrtz_Junkie

know this addressed to trig, but get what? It ties the 285, is beaten by last generations dual gpu cards and it's big brother. Show me a newgen card that has beaten a last dual gpu card at it's launch

I did say as much in my origenall post, allthough i have a feeling that the 5870 may beet the 4870 x2 but cant remeber for definate!!

Personally I tend to go for duel card sli (as appossed duel gpu card's) just because for games that dont support sli you still get good performance from a single card but thats my personall opinion....

Also 2 gtx285 in sli beats a single gtx295 in most games.

@Horizon trig said "by the time i got to bullet point 2 i knew it wasn't true" The point ov bullet point two was to say that a 5850 is about the same as a gtx280 at stock speed's, so seeing as Klutch allready has some nvidea cards if he got a cheap secondhand gtx280 he would be able to keep his old card as phs x.

Ok yes there is a hack available to allow ati to use phs x with nvidea cards but how well it works, wether it will cause other problems with compatibility is unknown.

if it dous you cant run to nvid and complain or expect them to patch it, so I woudn't bother with it unless I knew it was rock solid and garenteed manufacturer support.

I sertainly wouldn't use it as a reason to justify buying a £300 card (possibly invalidating the warrenty aswell).

Obviosly these are just my own opinions, but no need to flame me just cuz my opinion differ's, or I can't spell to well, is there?

12. hrtz_Junkie

true...

anyway...i've learned that taking the time to point out his errors and how they relate to what has been posted in his/her thread is a waste of time. whne they have long, drawn out responses like that, typically indicate they cant be reasoned with, or incapable of admitting he/she has no idea what they are talking about in relation to this thread

I dont see you pointing out any error's? just what is it that you think i'm so wrong about?

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hrtz.. your coming to a debate really late and talking like we've never heard this stuff before

there's alot in your argument that doesn't hold water.. like futureproofing for one- why would anyone buy a dx10 card right now, and a 285? really? the ati cards are the only cards on the high end anyone should be considering if buying new today- even the aa is better on the 5800 series

and crysis XD it's called TWIMTBP

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

like me, simply watch the debate as i wasn't paying attention when this thread was started.

i joined in on the other thread, but it died down.

there. finally found a gap to insert my comment. now this thread is easier to see amount other threads.

15. hrtz_Junkie

Umm... did you actually read my post ? were do i say he should buy a 285? I said get a second hand gtx280 like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XFX-GTX-280-X...raphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW?hash=item3ca6705153

for around £150 ,then wait until nvidea realeses fermi, then make you're desition (your gtx 280 will still sell for around £130,Im betting)

Simply because we don't know wich cards will be better, if that's bad advice ,,,then fair enuff but please at least read my post's properly before attaking me?

Trust me, if the ati card's are actually better than the n'videa one's (Drct x 11), Then I will be gettin ati one's with the rest off you. by then the tech will be stabiler the prices will (hopefully) be lower, and I can buy with confidense that I am getting the best product for my cash. At the moment I cant be sure what to buy,,that's why I keep repeating IF U CAN,,,,WAIT, if you cant go 5870, still cant see whats wrong with that advice? but hey I'm not chip eginering boffin so who knows.

Edit* OOps have just re-checked the thread and see what you mean, I think i must have missed page three by clicking on the wrong number (was late tho in my defense!lol). Still it's nice to see that some folks agree with me! apologee's for going over old issues tho,

16. Steakki

Steakki What's a Dremel?

Anyone have any idea when 5850/5870 with Vapor-X cooler comes out? I hate reference coolers and not gonna buy 5850 or 5870 with reference cooler... My 4890 is a god damn vacuum cleaner under heavy load.:wallbash:

17. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Why, oh Why an entire novel???

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I hear you, but from what I can gather the reference cooling on the new cards is apparently pretty good.

19. Steakki

Steakki What's a Dremel?

Then imagine Vapor-X or something similiar.:rock:

edit: Some of the users on one finnish hardware/overclocking site commented that it gets much louder when playing heavy games.

20. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

FWIW IMO.
    the card to buy Today is the 5870.

BUT.

I'd not buy a new high spec card for at least a month.

I suspect Nvidia is goning do something in the next 6 weeks, I think that Nvidia will have a card in the hands of testers and reviewers buy the 1st week in December.

I'd bet money on it, in a way I am.
    I'll have £300+ for a new GPU in mid November.
    It won't go on a new card until the 1st week in December (so if the 5870 sells out, i get no upgrade for chrimmy :-( ).
    if by the 1st week of December Fermi Isn't out for review, I think it'll be mid/late Q2 2010 before it hits the shops.

If fermi isn't out for review in 6 weeks.
    the 5870 IS the card to buy today.
    If your crystal ball says fermi is Q2, but a 5870 today.