1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Pot, meet kettle, again.

And here comes the console gamer ignorance?

If you're just here to flame then by all means, GTFO of my thread. We don't need flamers who do not contribute to the thread.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hmm, lets look at the server lists for Battlefield 2...that's a lot of EA owned servers, yeah they're not paying for them.

3. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Does anyone else think that this reaction from the "PC Gaming Community" (read COD4 fanboys) is a bit knee-jerk? Where's the trust?

Are you f**king serious? Veles was playing PC games when you were in nappies. Take your bombastic, over-zealous bollocks out of our forum.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Pre-order cancelled (as has the rest of our clan now), petition signed, now 55K and counting.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Elitism? WTF? I was simply pointing out that you clearly have no understanding of the issues involved here (i.e. IW doesn't pay for deidcated servers, yet they will be paying for IW.net, so it will be costing them more), so your comments on the subject are misguided.

Acron, there's a big difference between playing Devil's advocate and trolling, one which you don't quite seem to understand.

This is clearly a big deal to a lot of people, otherwise thousand upon thousands of people wouldn't be being so vociferous about it. If you don't care then that's fine, many people are happy to play using a matchmaking system, but the rest of us aren't going to take this lying down. The community has given a lot of support their games over the years and they wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for us, so the least they could do is show us a little respect. Like a true capitalist, you only seem to be thinking of this in terms of profits and statistics, when the issue goes much wider than that.

What other way is there to show our displeasure at their contempt for PC gamers than making a fuss and petitioning them? Should we all just be quiet and pretend we don't care?

Please, as always, if you don't have anything constructive to add on the subject (which doesn't include clamouring for the moral superiority soapbox by calling everyone else trolls while not understanding what we are even complaining about), then GTFO.

6. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

If you're accusing me of trolling, I'd love to see some quotes.

Firstly, there is a big difference between being a capitalist and appreciating things from a capitalist perspective. Rather ironically, I am a firm disbeliever in capitalism but considering you seem to know me so well, surely you should know that? You can't just start shouting about things that aren't convenient to you without looking at from every angle. Yes, IW's decisions are profit driven but guess what, the WORLD is profit driven. So I'm sure, as much as IW would LOVE to please their fans/customers to the bitter end, to turn their back on a profitable [or even sustainable] business model just doesn't make sense. Blame the banks. Blame the governments. But don't blame IW. Because trust me, nothing is more important to a developer than the respect and appreciation of the customer. Well second to keeping the business running, obviously.

If you can't see that constructive nature of "alternative opinions" then I think you're the one who should GTFO.

7. Stormwulf

Stormwulf A mod to far?

Stuff prestige mode and awful matchmaking servers.... if i wanted a console version i'd have bought a console version.

+3 lost sales as i was going to buy it for the kids too.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Signed petition

9. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

First of all lumping everyone who disagrees with the removal of dedicated servers in PC multiplayer fps as fanboy trolls is a bit rich. If this works out for IW you can safely bet future games will follow, and like hell any PC gamer should bend over and take that.

And trust? Are you serious? This is from a publisher that actually aims to dilute the creative process of game making into a sequel making machine, and from a company that only ever advertises their product on the 360, they even have the special MW2 360 coming out. Regardless of that, the implementation of peer to peer matchmaking only makes the game unplayable with the internet of my region, so I don't care what details haven't been unveiled yet (they may still be able to save some semblance of community?).
    Looking forward to the PR spin they'll be putting on this though.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

And you were throwing away my comments because they didn't fit your narrow minded view of what a dedicated server is and insulting my intelligence at the same time. I know precisely what a dedicated server is, I know that many of them are paid for by clans and the like. But developers and publishers do pay for many dedicated servers.

He wasn't lumping everyone in the same boat, but a lot of people are going into quite a rage.

11. yazooo

yazooo What's a Dremel?

Yes lumping everyone who has an opinion on this as a fanboy is a bit presumptive...

12. opal

opal Eh?

It's not exactly costly to host game servers. Put that against the cost of developing and maintaining a system for matchmaking and whatever else gets bundled in to support that and they will be more than likely spending alot more.You can get 4-6 32 slot servers for about £100 p/m or thereabouts and thats going with an external company. They also don't have to host servers themselves, there will be more than enough to meet demand if they allowed it

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

people are getting heated about it yes, from my point of view i was going to play this game extensively, probably over a couple of years so to realise i have to rethink my plans because IW are retarded is a bitter pill to swallow.

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I would really like to believe that, but so far IW are giving me no reason to do so (not helped by the fact they straight up lied about this earlier). It's just been one bad news story after another with this game, and the end result is that I just don't think they care any more, especially when the game is this big and they can afford to not have to worry about the entire PC platform's sales. There's developers out there that would kill for this kind of exposure for their game, and would never even think about angering the community like this, but unfortunately it seems IW can get way with it.

My apologies, that was a little harsh, I'm just a little pissed ATM, as you can probably tell :p

I do appreciate the other side of the story, but right now I can't see any good coming out of this. They should be pushing forward with new ideas and features, not removing them.

That may be so, but I can't see how this new IW.net matchmaking system will be anything but more expensive for them, considering the entire multiplayer experience is wholly dependent on them.

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Except that's not what I said? Loads of people have posted their ill-feelings toward the process, myself included, in this thread, without offending and insulting anyone who dared defend the actions of IW or question the actions of the extremists. That comment was aimed at the handful that are running away with the thread and turning it into a troll pit. Look at rpsgc's comments. He's even taken ownership of this thread! Haha! It's laughable.

I totally agree with you mate. But everyone's hyped MW2 so, SO much...was it ever going to live up to our expectations in every, single way? That's not a justification of what IW have done but more a general observation. Believe, I'm pissed off too. But I'm not gonna start battering forum members and throwing my weight around because of it.

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

acron^, so far you've added nothing to the thread, all you did was flame, insult, name-calling and troll. You if have nothing constructive to add then shut up and let the parties interested discuss in peace.

Your posts have been reported. Tale your childish flaming elsewhere.

Really? Then he was playing in his mother's womb because I'm actually older than him. Your trolling attempt has failed so hard it's not even funny.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I honestly don't think the sales on consoles for this kind of game are so much better than they are on the PC. When the game comes out the console players are way more eager to spend their money on the new flavor of the month and therefore lots of games are sold but the PC version has an advantage. PC games that are greatly anticipated for their multiplayer sell very well are not really victims of piracy because, well, a cracked game is useless if you want to play online. That's not it however. The advantage of a PC game is how long the players play it and how many new player they will bring to the game. Once a player is part of a community I would say it's usually for a minimum of a year and up to many many years whereas console players jump from one game to another because without any real competition, it gets old pretty quick

If we're lucky IW will realize this in a year or two when their sales on the PC will have been a third those of CoD4

We most likely won't be lucky however

18. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Fail.

/signed.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This whole "I'm older than you" crap is pathetic. Also, my dad can beat up all your dad's and I can do a back flip, so there.

How about we just wait until the game ACTUALLY LAUNCHES so we all make an opinion based on fact rather than a knee jerk worse than a caffeinated Parkinsons sufferer?

20. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

...in the meantime, signed the petition, 8 people signed after me in one single refresh, and the 1-stars at Amazon are up over 40 - the point's been made, the money's staying in my wallet, now the ball is back in IW's and Activision's court - Valve amended L4D's server browsing system in the end and then repaired what litte pre-sequel damage was done to sales with special offers for the doubters. We'll see if ActiBlizz bother to do the same.