1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 4th Dream PC unveiled - Kobalt Daedalus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 21 Oct 2009.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd have to say this is the best-looking of the four Dream PC entries presented here on bit-tech yet! Love the case!

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Call me when they add a faceplate for the 5.25" bays and the fan controller that matches the rest of the chassis. :p

4. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

WOW!!!

5. andrew@kobalt

andrew@kobalt What's a Dremel?

Just an FYI, the current specs and price in that video are currently for the wrong system. It is in the process of being corrected by Bit-Tech.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Best so far.
    Something truly special and worth owning.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Similar spec to my pc and clocked lower... I bet I didn't spend half of what they would ask!

Andy

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Very nice!

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

This is a very funky machine. I really like this one.

10. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

WOW. Makes the other three look like beige boxes... almost...

11. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

much better, but I can't imagine how 2 PSU's , TEC and 6 fans on 2 rads is "The result is a very powerful, efficient, quiet and maintenance-free CPU cooling system".

Nothing WC is maintenance free, and unless you have those fans underclocked at 5v, I doubt it's that quiet as well.

I mean, I'm not trying to tear down this build, because the truth of the matter is, it is the best of the ones we've seen. But I agree with some of the other comments that when you fabricate 300 separate parts, you couldn't make a faceplate for the DVD drive and stealth it? And maybe the fan controllers as well? So what would that be, 302 parts instead? And if the specs in the video are close to this machine, then it's 9700quid plus some?

I understand that this is a 'Dream Machine' but I guess my dreams are just different . . . . .

12. Dr_Encore

Dr_Encore Scan Great White Lover!

Kobalt have been fairly cheeky here as they already had this system in the pipes with the Blade Concept, they just changed the name and gave it a badge. Disappointing, atleast Scan made an effort.

13. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Dr_Encore - the Daedalus does indeed use the Blade chassis, but the cooling system has been completely redesigned since the original prototype demoed earlier this year at Cebit. Also, this is the first time the Blade has made an appearance in a complete commercial PC, so I fail to see how Kobalt has been cheeky.

14. Neoplasmic

Neoplasmic What's a Dremel?

Long time reader, first time poster here.

Looking through the magazine, it looks like those specs are wrong. They're the specs for the Scan system. This machine is about £7500, not £9700.

Great work guys, this PC looks incredible! :jawdrop: I love the carbon fibre sidepanels, being a city worker (and namely a bachelor) I would happily let this take pride of place in my apartment, unlike some of the other entries..... :duh:

15. Dr_Encore

Ah yes, but they state "Rather than just modding another SilverStone TJ07 or Lian-Li V-Series case, we set about designing a chassis that would free us from the limitations we encountered when trying to integrate extreme liquid-cooling.'

So i fail to see how you dont see that as cheeky

16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

What precisely is cheeky about designing and building your own case? That's the ultimate goal of any modder, be it an individual of these forums or a company such as Kobalt.

17. Dr_Encore

hmm whilst i see your point, this case has been developed for about a year, but the others designed their systems from scratch FOR the dream pc competition, whereas these guys didnt, whilst i havn't read the article yet and therefore havnt seen the cooling system, it seems all they have really done for this competition is modify the blade slightly. But yes i guess it is still a dream pc.

18. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

What the hell, I thought this was supposed to be a dream PC competition.

They are all so freaking ugly.

As for this pc being efficient when it uses a 1.2KW PSU for components and 450 for the TEC's? Looking at the components the 1.2KW would have more than enough overhead to power the entire rig.

The only people buying these PC's are those who are zipped up the back!

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I think we have a winner. This is definitely a very unusual and awesome rig. That TEC idea is ingenious and looks quite nice. If I had a stack of cash and couldn't be arsed modding my own case I would seriously consider this rig. Congrats Kobalt, you have made a masterpiece.

20. Dr_Encore

Tags: Add Tags