1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IW responds to Modern Warfare 2 server snafu

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Oct 2009.

1. Darth_yoda

Darth_yoda What's a Dremel?

For goodness sakes are they trying as hard as they possibly can to force people to not buy their game? £55 for a game is hard to justify for a pc game and every bit of news I hear about this game is just another nail in the coffin. Is there any news on whether mods will be allowed?

2. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

My main concern is how this shafts competitve gaming for COD....

COD4 MW2 was eagerly anticipated by the competitive community. Not too sure what will happen now.

3. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I'll try their server system but i'm guessing it will suck and be totally non responsive after being flooded.

Don't like the fact they are not supporting the modding scene. I think they have forgotten their roots and become too big for their boots.

Don't give up fighting anyone.

4. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I'm pretty sure that despite such a large protest it is far too late for them to change an aspect as large as this so close to release date.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No dedicated servers = no mods, so no, not if they don't put them back in.

And the PC version isn't £55, that's just the PS3 and 360 versions after the console tax, and even then you can get it for ~£45, ~£35 on the PC. That's still expensive compared to other games, though.

6. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Didn't someone recently say PC gaming is dying or something like that. Well now we know the reason.

Should we all just sell the PC's, buy one of these and become console gamers. Its gonna be the same experience.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

no it wont, i dont want to play with 10 year old chavs whose every other word is "****"

8. salesman

salesman Minimodder

So a little over 20 people hate this idea. ;P FYI my brother loves Borderlands.

9. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I recommend everyone to read Rob Bowling's blog on this.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Why? It doesn't say anything we don't already know about how matchmaking systems work on the consoles. It's just more marketing tripe to try and make you think that IWNET is better than dedicated servers.

11. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

This is what happens when an xbox fanboy is hired to be the publicist for a cross platform game. He doesn't know anything about PC gaming, so he can't even answer simple questions like whether IWnet will run servers, or if it will be listen servers on people's machines.

If you want make a PC game, you have to let someone who knows something about PCs do the talking.

There's still a chance IWnet uses servers and that you just aren't allowed 3rd party ones. In which case, it won't be too bad, because there shouldn't be too much lag. However This is unlikely, and listen servers will be all we can have, and nobody will play because the lag will be ridiculous.

12. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

that's not true. A listen server is the same as a dedicated server, just running on somebody's home computer. All they would have to do is permit us to use it on a separate server machine.

13. Vorner23

Vorner23 What's a Dremel?

So apologies for stating the obvious, but am I right in thinking the game will ship with no clear method of joining your mates in the same game?!?!

No clear method of getting clan matches going?

I'm not flipping out about it, but that just seems a bit retarded.

The tone of the statement is also a very ill advised release. I understand it can be frustrating dealing with the community because some responses are not tempered by, well anything resembling an adult attitude. However, a company shouldn't behave in a childish manner in response!

Catering to the masses is simple business. But I would argue the masses are going to be clans and mates wanting to play as a group. I'm hardly a harcore player but I'll want to get online with 3-4 mates and play this together.... any ideas?

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Even if that's true (and you must admit, it's the slimmest of chances) what will happen to us 3rd-world folks?

I really doubt anyone from IW would bother hosting a server in India. I know it's not worth the cost, but those 20-odd people who'd want to play MP, and would rent/buy a server can no longer do so.

They're just thick and greedy.

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It's like Spore all over again.

16. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Ok, i'll not lie, i don't understand the details too much, i just play but how is what you just mentioned (A listen server on a server machine) different to a dedicated server?

17. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

taken from Here.
    Since when did players need to have their own server.

18. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Borderlands is on my list of must buy games.

Call of Duty hasn't been on my list since CoD2.

19. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I don't mind waiting another 2 - 3 months for a MW2 PC release that DOES support dedi servers. I'm also prepared to reach deeper and pay £40 ~ £45 for it. I didn't buy a GTX 260 for no reason......

If dedi servers won't come after all then it's a no go for me and will be spending my money on BFBC2

20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Since they were playing with team members who aren't all from a similar location and having a dedicated server allowed them to get the best ping possible for them and their opponents.

Tags: Add Tags